SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-11, 09:59 AM   #931
NGT
Lieutenant

Downloads: 289
Uploads: 3
Thanks h.sie

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
I already found the reason for the problems with my V15D4 patch and NYGM type XXIII............................................. .. this will be fixed in the next version.

Thank you very much h.sie
NGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 03:29 PM   #932
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Little Bugfix V15D5 available. This update is worth downloading only for NYGM players, because it only fixes an incompatibility with the NYGM type XXIII (CTD when periscope is moved down automatically). But there will be a new Version available soon:

Current work: V15E
  • Bugfix for crash dive blues
  • "Realistic" restrictions for reload of external / internal torpedoes.
Old 01-21-11, 06:15 PM   #933
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
This update is worth downloading only for NYGM players,
...but you have two versions on you MediaFire Page, one with (NYGM) in clamp and one without this...?

Are now both Versions for NYGM Players or do I need as not NYGM-Player the version without the (NYGM) in clamp ?

Best regards,
Magic
Old 01-21-11, 07:35 PM   #934
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Great job, and waiting the "E" update.

A dream: independence of port-starboard motors (diesel and electric). Is there some possibility from the perspective of modifiy the SH3.exe?

Many thanks and best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 02:09 AM   #935
Silent Ace
Seaman

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Great job, and waiting the "E" update.

A dream: independence of port-starboard motors (diesel and electric). Is there some possibility from the perspective of modifiy the SH3.exe?
oh yes, as it is carried on a ship simulator series.
Old 01-22-11, 02:17 PM   #936
h.sie
Admiral

@Magic: This was only to have 2 equal versions.

@fitzcarraldo: The engines can be controlled independently from each other in principle, but the main problem are the missing interaction elements for the user. GUI elements, system commands and so on are designed for controlling both machines together. I think this will remain a dream, as long as I do this kind of modding. But maybe a more experienced and talented modder will be able to fulfill your dream.

h.sie
Old 01-22-11, 02:29 PM   #937
h.sie
Admiral

Currently programming the reload process of INTERNAL TORPEDOES and I need some details.

My plan:

When surfaced, internal torpedoes can only be reloaded for
windspeeds between 0m/s and W1.

For windspeed between W1 and W2 boat has to dive below D1 meters.

For windspeed between W2 and 15m/s boat has to dive below D2 meters.

What values W1, W2, D1, D2 should be used?

Some historical info available?
Old 01-22-11, 03:05 PM   #938
Silent Ace
Seaman

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Currently programming the reload process of INTERNAL TORPEDOES and I need some details.

Some historical info available?
I will try to find something.
Old 01-22-11, 03:25 PM   #939
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Quote:
@Magic: This was only to have 2 equal versions.

h.sie
Okay, thanks !
Old 01-23-11, 06:51 AM   #940
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi h.sie,

I guess there is no historical data. Commanders just dived until the boat stopped rolling and pitching too much. Given the wind speeds in SH3 and the corresponding wave heights, I would guess that 20m should be fine. Since diving 10-20m deeper does not matter much, I think one single depth for all wind speeds would be fine. The two depths depending on wind speed seems to me more complex than necessary.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 06:10 AM   #941
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Just a bump, to keep this important thread near the top of the Mods page.

Also, an update.

A. H.sie is still working on the torpedo reloads problem, but he is held up with real-life issues.

B. Most players of SH3 are familiar with the irritating problem of running along the surface in fine weather at time compression (TC)= 1024 or more, when, suddenly, you get the Black Screen of Death: 'You have been sunk by Collision.' What has happened has been that the weather has changed suddenly to dense fog, your idiot watch crew has not bothered to tell you, and you have moved with large jumps - as the game moves the U-boat 'piece' across its giant board - straight onto a ship without ever seeing it first. (At slow TC, this is not a problem, because the jumps are much smaller).
H.sie and I have had the idea that, whenever heavy fog first occurs as a change from other visibility, then the TC will drop to 16. Since TC=16 is not used for any other purpose, the cause will be obvious to the player, who can stop, check the weather, and take appropriate action.

C. I have found a way to provide the U-boat with slow-sinking properties at 1 kt or less when it is silent-running. This has caused a lot of technical problems:
i) the U-boat floats at 2 kts at periscope depth about 1-2 metres lower than previously.
ii) The GWX U-boat has different buoyancy properties from the NYGM, which is an issue that has to be addressed somehow.
iii) The same code is needed for all U-boats, which causes the type II U-boat to be tricky to control at periscope depth when silent-running.

These issues can be avoided. The periscope control problems (i) and (iii) are avoided by ensuring that the new code operates only at depths below 20m. (A better solution might be to extend the periscope lengths in the turms.) The GWX issue is avoided easiest by changing the U-boat mass in GWX back to neutral.

The idea is that a U-boat lacks the ability to pump water when silent-running, so that there is in real life a tendency to sink slowly when the speed is too slow.
The result of this new code is that your U-boat has a tendency to slip slowly downwards when silent-running at slow speed below 20m. The tendency is not very strong, but it has the effect that you will not wish any longer to run into a convoy on silent running from the moment you sight it. Silent-running now needs a little management, especially when avoiding warships at great depth. Depth is maintained on a U-boat by hydroplanes. If you are running level at 2 kts with silent-running, and you set a higher depth, the hydroplanes acquire a steeper angle, so that the U-boat loses buoyancy while it also loses speed to 1 kt. So suddenly you start to sink instead! The devs really did a great job on modelling U-boat manoeuvrability.

So what do you do when you are being hunted, and the U-boat is slow-sinking at 160m? You can secure from silent running, or you can increase speed to increase the water flow over the hydroplanes, so that they are more effective. Both options will make more noise, which may be detected by the hunters. Suddenly management of silent-running becomes important!

I have a fully modded version of SH3.exe for silent-running on my own computer, but Copyright (and SubSim) rules prevent me from distributing it for general testing. However, H.sie will soon be able to make an SH3 patch file for legitimate owners. I want H.sie to check out the code first, anyway.

D. Anvart and I are working on some ideas concerning the placement of radars on different turms. A little of this also requires intervention in the SH3.exe code.

We cannot tell yet how these ideas will develop; whether they will be successful or not. But H.sie and I don't need any other new ideas for a little while, thanks!

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 06:45 AM   #942
h.sie
Admiral

Still lurking here from time to time.

The fog warning Stiebler mentioned above will be included in forthcoming V15E. also the fix for the crash dive blues and also the external/internal torpedo reload fix (speed restriction during external reload, no external/internal reload when storm, delayed diving).

After that I'll have time to look into the negativ bouyancy issue. I think that it will be a huge project (worth a new version V15F) to eliminale unwanted side-effects and make it compatible to GWX and NYGM (and other supermods).

@Stiebler: If you don't want to wait, I could tell you how to make your own patch so that you could start testing with others.......it's easy!

h.sie

Last edited by h.sie; 01-28-11 at 08:56 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 08:22 AM   #943
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Great news people! Keep up the magical works!

@Stiebler

I remember the old NYGM, has something like negative buoyancy. Or anti-hummingbird effect as they called it!

Inst that the same thing? sorry if this has already been asked!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 02:40 PM   #944
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Myxale:

The anti-humming bird mod in NYGM is intended to prevent the U-boat from hovering underwater at 0 kts, and is independent of whether or not the U-boat is silent-running. As you say, it does create an anti-buoyancy specific to NYGM. Probably it could now be removed from NYGM, but that needs a lot of further testing.

The Silent-Running change is a different mod, implemented directly in code. It is actually an extension of the crash-dive blues fix.

@H.sie:
You have PM.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 06:34 PM   #945
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Still lurking here from time to time.

The fog warning Stiebler mentioned above will be included in forthcoming V15E. also the fix for the crash dive blues and also the external/internal torpedo reload fix (speed restriction during external reload, no external/internal reload when storm, delayed diving).

h.sie
That sounds very good !

I´m looking forward....

Best regards,
Magic