SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-18, 11:18 PM   #1
Méo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 0
Default Back to SHIII and looking for recommendations

Hi everybody!

I don't recall exactly how many years since I've played SH3, but now that I've got more free time, I would really like to get back to it.

The problem is that I'm far from being up-to-date regarding mods. I just watch the screenshot thread from time to time (btw, some are astonishing for a 13 years old game!)

I've been checking all the evening now for mods I would like, but I have to admit it's somewhat overwhelming because for the first time I don't think I wanna go with a supermod because I'd like to avoid all the frustrations I encountered before and just go for an enjoyable and a relatively ''realistic'' experience. So I though I could pick your brain.

----

What I would like to avoid:

- Even if I had great fun with GWX, the boat was so unsteady that I could hardly use the deck gun. But the worst were the never ending storms and I remember the last time I played I was trapped in a storm (13 to 15 m/s) for a whole month from North to South Atlantic and I was practicly out of fuel. But this is the only thing that keeps me from going back to GWX, I had some great time. Great job guys!

- From LSH3 what I remember is getting surprised and sunk by air attack. Although this is very realistic, from a gameplay perspective I don't think it's very interesting since you have absolutely no control over it (failing to order a crash dive and getting sunk would make more sense IMO).

- Even if it looks superb, I didn't try the new WAC 5.0 because it seems to have some stability issues, but I may be wrong.

----

I've watched both of Wolfpack345 mod showcase episodes and it seems interesting to install only mods you want over the stock version in order to appreciate SH3 as much as you can (but I don't know if it's a good idea).

Here's my question:

Any idea of which mod list I should choose to avoid CTD and have the best SH3 experience?

Of course I'm aware that I will have read the instructions to avoid CTD.

----

Please keep in mind that my previous comments are only my personal opinion (and experience) on this classic game and it is NOT meant to offend anyone who invested time and effort to make all those great mods and share it with the community.

And just for the info, I run on windows 10 64 bit

Any helpful comments would be very much appreciated!
Méo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 12:35 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The "non-stop storm" problem is not a GWX thing, it's an SHIII thing, and it goes all the way back to 2005, when the game was first released. There have been attempts to fix it, but they have had varying success. It's something you either live with or play SH4 or SH5.
Old 08-22-18, 12:55 AM   #3
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

For the non stop 15m/s weather issue, if you patch the game with H.sie patch + Stiebler patch on top, weather is just fine, even better than SH5!
It always change from clear to partial cloudy to overcast, with or without rain, but most of all wind is always changing and never get stuck on 15m/s anymore
When visibility is reduced, you even are warning on any TC...that’s quite fantastic IMHO.

It’s to me the best weather i’ve Encountered in any SH, modded or not.
As said above, it has nothing to do with GWX.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 09:40 AM   #4
Méo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
The "non-stop storm" problem is not a GWX thing, it's an SHIII thing, and it goes all the way back to 2005, when the game was first released. There have been attempts to fix it, but they have had varying success. It's something you either live with or play SH4 or SH5.
From what I remember of my old dvd copy from 2005/2006, I didn't have this problem or at least a lesser extent and in LSH3 it was approximately the same. But those are just vague memories so nothing really reliable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
For the non stop 15m/s weather issue, if you patch the game with H.sie patch + Stiebler patch on top, weather is just fine, even better than SH5!
It always change from clear to partial cloudy to overcast, with or without rain, but most of all wind is always changing and never get stuck on 15m/s anymore
When visibility is reduced, you even are warning on any TC...that’s quite fantastic IMHO.

It’s to me the best weather i’ve Encountered in any SH, modded or not.
As said above, it has nothing to do with GWX.
Merci!

I'll give it a try.
Méo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-18, 07:54 AM   #5
Depth Charger
Sailor man

Downloads: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Méo View Post
From what I remember of my old dvd copy from 2005/2006, I didn't have this problem or at least a lesser extent and in LSH3 it was approximately the same. But those are just vague memories so nothing really reliable...

Merci!

I'll give it a try.
If you still don't like your weather - Do a google search for SH3 Bad Weather fix from h.sie... He has a standard and a forte version - the forte version shortens the duration of storms/mist the most. If you cant download the copy on Subsim, then click his signature and it will take you to his mediafire page.
Old 09-04-18, 10:50 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Already included in LSH3-2015 default settings.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote