SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-15, 02:52 PM   #61
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi La vache,

thanks for posting and asking questions. It helps me (and hopefully others).

Concerning your question:

It can happen that you are detected without having sent any message or sunken any ship. In this case the app uses the patrol area (from the .psc file) as a guess for your position. In your example it seems that the "Null Grid" mod somehow changed the file (I don't know the details of this mod).

However, this is not serious because the app uses the grid from the radio message (AL 2). Even without the radio message it would not be serious because the app just would not find your position and thus, not send a HK group. In other words, you can ignore the lines:

Use of uninitialized value $patrol_area in substr at script/Submarine Tracking Room V4.pl line 325.
Use of uninitialized value $patrol_area in substr at script/Submarine Tracking Room V4.pl line 325.
substr outside of string at script/Submarine Tracking Room V4.pl line 325.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at script/Submarine Tracking Room V4.pl line 325.

The difference between your first and second run ("Grid not found or not detected!" and "Detected!") is just chance. For every sent message or sunken ship the probability increases that you are detected. But this doesn't mean that you are detected. If you run the app again and again for the same save-game, you will be sometimes detected and sometimes not.

Regards, LGN1

PS: The line in the file *.psc should be exactly like this: "PatrolArea=AE89" (well, AE89 might differ , but no spaces, capital letters as given (not patrolarea,...)).
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 03:08 PM   #62
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi all,

has anyone any news about the mod? CTDs? Weired behavior? Suggestions?

I just finished a full patrol with the mod (Date: June 1940, Patrol grid: AN18 at the Scottish coast). Here are my observations:

Positive: No CTDs, all save-games worked without problems, two destroyer groups were sent out to look for me

Negative: After about ten years of playing SH3 I had my first patrol without any sinkings . I was detected on my way to the patrol area and from then on had to face heavy air cover during the very long days in the North in June. I had to stay submerged most of the time. This fact, together with the quite high speed of most of the contacts, forced me to take shots from quite some distance (>2000m). The distance combined with frequently zig-zagging units and several duds (wind speed was 15m/s) led to many misses. And in the case of the single hit I scored, the ship didn't sink and I could not keep up with the speed submerged. Quite frustrating, but still fun

Summary: After being detected and thus, loosing the element of surprise, staying in the area was basically futile. For a patrol area that close to the British Isles I consider this quite realistic even for 1940. It seems the times of happily sinking ships close to the British Isles without any reaction are over, at least with the mod.

Regards, LGN1
Old 07-21-15, 03:46 PM   #63
areo16
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi all,

has anyone any news about the mod? CTDs? Weired behavior? Suggestions?

I just finished a full patrol with the mod (Date: June 1940, Patrol grid: AN18 at the Scottish coast). Here are my observations:

Positive: No CTDs, all save-games worked without problems, two destroyer groups were sent out to look for me

Negative: After about ten years of playing SH3 I had my first patrol without any sinkings . I was detected on my way to the patrol area and from then on had to face heavy air cover during the very long days in the North in June. I had to stay submerged most of the time. This fact, together with the quite high speed of most of the contacts, forced me to take shots from quite some distance (>2000m). The distance combined with frequently zig-zagging units and several duds (wind speed was 15m/s) led to many misses. And in the case of the single hit I scored, the ship didn't sink and I could not keep up with the speed submerged. Quite frustrating, but still fun

Summary: After being detected and thus, loosing the element of surprise, staying in the area was basically futile. For a patrol area that close to the British Isles I consider this quite realistic even for 1940. It seems the times of happily sinking ships close to the British Isles without any reaction are over, at least with the mod.

Regards, LGN1
Awesome!
areo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 08:06 AM   #64
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 193

Thank LGN1

I have a lot of joy and frustration with their mod.
No CTD but many ASW.
I use it with LSH and their zig-zagging tool. Unbelievable.

La vache
Old 09-10-15, 03:34 PM   #65
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi,

I have uploaded a new version with some improvements.

As usual any feedback is appreciated!

Regards, LGN1
Old 09-10-15, 04:19 PM   #66
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Just one more comment:

The new version is save-game compatible. Just replace the V4 exe with the new one.

Regards, LGN1
Old 09-15-15, 06:44 AM   #67
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Thanks for new version. My wish shortened reaction time fulfilled, many thanks.

Regards, La vache
Old 09-17-15, 02:53 PM   #68
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi,

just a tip for having a message in the console before saving: I always save at TC=1 ('Enter' in my setup) and on the main nav map ('F5'). Therefore, I have linked the 'Enter' and 'F5' key also to the command 'Distance to end of course'. Now when I press 'Enter' or 'F5' my navigator always tells me the distance to the course end in the console.

Regards, LGN1
Old 10-05-15, 03:22 PM   #69
La vache
Electrician's Mate

They have reduced impact AirStrikeSettings compared to V4.
I have not yet experienced the AirStrikeSettings goes if condition lost for detection, on original value.
When I go Biscay return to the Base, AirStrikeSettings location on original values manually, otherwise not possible to arrive.
Is it possible to make AirStrikeSettings to original values when boat not detected?

Regards, La vache
Old 10-06-15, 02:23 PM   #70
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi La vache,

this should be the case in V5 (I have checked the code again). But in V4 was a bug that prevented the airstrike.cfg settings from going back to the original values when not being detected.

Are you using V5? Have you tried it with a new patrol?

Regards, LGN1
Old 10-08-15, 07:34 AM   #71
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Very good, I am not currently on the return trip. But this is an important change.

Regards, La vache
Old 10-19-15, 11:34 AM   #72
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Hi LGN1

I kept radio silence for six days, Airstrike Settings change was not reversed.

How am I supposed conduct myself.

Checking Campaign_RND.mis...
The group is 2003
Checking Airbase...
Airbase found!
Careers/Walter Amann\Patrols_0.cfg
Patrol number: 3
Latest save game: Careers/Walter Amann\3/8.rms
Latest save game: Careers/Walter Amann\3/8.clg
Latest save game: Careers/Walter Amann\3/8.psc
Latest save game: Careers/Walter Amann\3/8.crp
Latest save game: Careers/Walter Amann\3/8.txt
Current SH3 date: 19431003
Current SH3 time: 1841
Number of previously written units: 3
Old grids: BE 92 BE 98 CG 11
Patrol area: DS 65
Ship string: Schiff versenkt!
Aircraft string: Flugzeug abgeschossen!
Grid string: Planquadrat
Number of messages sent: 18
Last message date: 19430927
Last message grid: CG 11
Number of kills: 6
Last kill date: 19430927
Last kill grid: CG 11
Detected!
Start date: 19431003
Start time: 2000
Grid found!
Lat.: 5094167
Long.: -1739773
Old Section found!
Old Section finished!
Grid already patrolled!
Press key to proceed...
Old 10-20-15, 11:06 AM   #73
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi La vache,

the setting did not revert because you were detected again (see tenth line from below in your post).

The script counts how many messages you sent, how many ships you sunk, how many aircrafts you shot down,... Based on these numbers a probability is calculated for being detected/hunted. It does not take into account when these things happened during a patrol, i.e., the probability can only increase during a patrol.

Actually, it might be a good idea to also take the time into account and neglect events older than, e.g., 14 days I guess that's for V6

Let's see when I will find time for this improvement!

Regards, LGN1

PS: In V4 was a bug that prevented the airstrike setting to revert even when not being detected. That bug was what I was refering to in my earlier posts.
Old 10-21-15, 08:14 AM   #74
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

A bit confused .

I thought NYGM did this already. I mean send ships to your location after a detected transmission.

...or am I not remembering correctly?
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15, 02:09 PM   #75
areo16
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
A bit confused .

I thought NYGM did this already. I mean send ships to your location after a detected transmission.

...or am I not remembering correctly?

No, nothing has done in the past what LGN1 has presented here. This is a dynamic response by the enemy AI according to your actions.
areo16 is offline   Reply With Quote