Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 03-10-09, 03:26 AM   #1
Chucky
Planesman

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0
Default Wow!

Now,if only SB Pro PE looked like this I would never leave my PC!
http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/901...re_080408.html

Old 03-10-09, 11:04 AM   #2
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Am I the only one who smells something fishy about this thing ?
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 01:55 PM   #3
Chucky
Planesman

Actually,since posting it I found this...
Quote:
well, as of August last year, all the vids were NOT in game video, but an approximation of what was to come.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 02:22 PM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

The title doesnt say if it's in-game or not. Nothing fishy there if you ask me.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 03:39 PM   #5
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Downloads: 18

meh, could be in-game, a lot of OFP2 screenies look rather tasty.

Don't judge a ship by the number of it's guns, but by the skill of it's crew.
ajrimmer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 04:52 PM   #6
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Really nice movies, who wouldn't love OFP 2 to look and behave like that? But not stating if it is in-game or not is the fishy thing about this, in my book.

Edit: Another fishy thing is the reload time on that tank...

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.

Last edited by porphy; 03-10-09 at 05:04 PM.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 05:13 PM   #7
Chucky
Planesman

The more I look at it the more I think it is not in-game footage.I'm thinking the PC to run that kind of detail hasn't been made yet...
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 12:41 AM   #8
Schlageter-JG26
Helmsman

Downloads: 31

FYI - If you like OFP... stay tuned.

OFP2 is really a project done by the licensing distributor of the original OFP (I forget the name).

In the meantime, BIS has come out with it's own descendant from OFP in the name of ArmA (Armed Assault) which has add-ons available.

BIS will be releasing ArmA:2 in 2009 almost at the same time as OFP2 comes out. So really, you have 2 similar games in scope and modability coming to market this year. I can't wait.

ArmA is NOT OFP. It is an evolution beyond it. Greater immersion. FAR greater difficulty. I've really enjoyed it.
Schlageter-JG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 07:28 AM   #9
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

ArmA was OFP with nicer graphics, same old engine and same old limitations. And the more I look at the ArmA 2, it seems like they're doing the same trick again as that engine is 100% surely the same old OFP engine.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 07:33 AM   #10
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Well actually OFP's engine is RV1, while Arma is RV2 and Arma2 RV3. Not at all the same engine in them, but three different evolutionary steps of the RV-engine.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 12:24 PM   #11
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:
Not even in-game + grafics whoring + rediculouse arcade like action = fishy

At least for me. This is flashpoint 2 only by its name. It's not even from the original developers so the original vision is not what drives this development but profit(hence the grafic whoring). Now that's fishy. I think I will not even bother about this. It's only my personal opinion but the best way to drive the smell of rotten fish into my nose is to put grafics in the foreground and couple it with cheap arcade action.
Old 03-11-09, 12:42 PM   #12
Deamon
Commodore

Quote:
And the more I look at the ArmA 2, it seems like they're doing the same trick again as that engine is 100% surely the same old OFP engine. ArmA was OFP with nicer graphics, same old engine and same old limitations.
ArmA came out totally bug ridden, which is the best proof that a vast new engine was in work. As far as I understood they ran out of money and were forced to release ArmA as is. Which is very unfortunately for them since they were the original creators of this revolution, they are the one who deserves the success and money not codemasters. Looks like codemasters haven't gave them the share in revenue they would deserve perhaps that is why they left them ?

In some way I wish the would have created another large expansion pack like resistance back then. Maybe that would have worked out better but who knows.

Personally I will continue to support BI, they did it once and they will do it again when they get the right support. I won't touch the codemasters stuff it doesn't deserve it. A good game is more then the sum of its features. This is something that publishers that try to copy the success of such revolutionary games like flashpoint, for the sake of profit will perhaps never learn.
Old 03-11-09, 04:25 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

To be fair, one has to say that ArmA now runs fine, stable and smooth, at least in SP. I cannot judge MP, since I did not test it. I have not had a single freeze or crash with it.

Having bought the Gold Edition with the addon and patch 1.08, and meanwhile having been able to patch it further to 1.14 after initial troubles, I must say that I enjoy the huge "adventure playground" scenario I created for United Sarani very much. A very good deal for me, even more so since the Gold editon already came at reduced smile price for 10 or 15 Euros. A very good infantry simulator. The tanks and IFVs however are a waste of time, as was the case in Flashpoint. Big deal - simply leave them out, and you're done. If you want to tank the countryside, pick SBP.

armA2 will need to do without me for a long time to come. First I think my system cannot handle it, and second, it will have plenty of bugs, and it will take a lot of time to patch it. I am not willing to pay full price and then needing to wait months and months anymore. I am too old for such nonsense.
Old 03-11-09, 06:25 PM   #14
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
To be fair, one has to say that ArmA now runs fine, stable and smooth, at least in SP. I cannot judge MP, since I did not test it. I have not had a single freeze or crash with it.
Stable as hell in MP too. All the CTDs I've had after 1.14 are the result of testing some frankenscript or -mission creations of my own, and forgetting a ; somewhere along the road. That'll give you a ctd in no time

1.15 beta, which I mainly use since I only play MP, seems just as stable, while also dealing with some of the MP lag issues pretty effectively.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote