Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 02-26-09, 09:35 PM   #1
Freiwillige
The Old Man

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0
Default T-34 VS Tiger (My own little reveiw)

Many of us have dreamed of what it would be like since we were kids to command a U-boat, charge in to battle in a Panther or Tiger or dogfight in a P-51 or Messerschmitt. Now days computer simulations bring us ever so closer to this reality. Today I shall write my opinions about T-34 Vs Tiger.

Well after getting the game loaded which was uneventful, I clicked the box on my desktop to launch the Sim. BSOD! WHAT! Yep the dreaded blue screen of death requiring the three fingered salute CNTRL+ALT+DEL.

Okay don't panic, could be just a fluke as I upgraded my processor only hours ago from a Sempron 2800+ to an Athlon 64 3400+. Windows loads and again I hit the little box on my desktop to launch the game. Fingers crossed I drool in anticipation of rolling onto the Battlefield in my 500 HP Maybach powered PanzerKampfWagen VI Tiger. The game launches and I set up the first mission. Whoa I am dizzy. The camera view is going nuts as I randomly push keys to stop the helicopter like rotations of my Tiger on my screen. After retrieving my in flight barf bag I manage to guess that my joystick is conflicting so I pull the plug (M-M-M-M-----Flat line-----)
but this isn't about using text to emulate an EKG machine hooked to your joystick, Its about a review so forward veraus!

Once I solved the issue of the room spinning I was aghast at the high level of detail. The world looked perfect. Tree's were swaying in the breeze, Grass was growing knee deep and suddenly as if by magic I was there in 1944! The graphics are superb and really take you there as if your monitor is not a monitor at all but a window into time. I clumsily try to figure out the controls. Aha engine starts! after some more fumbling around I get the beast rolling. Soon I come upon a German ro******* with a half track and a few Soldats standing around. Thru the ro******* I crest a hill and thats when all hell breaks loose. The sounds of the battlefield come to life and my 55ton monster becomes a 55 ton pillbox in a matter of seconds.

Apparently unbeknown st to me, The Russians thought it would be a good idea to set up an anti tank front on the opposing side of the valley. Their anti tank guns making short work of my tracks and finding me quite immobile at a most inopportune moment. My commander yells out targets as I take to the gun position and hammer away at the Bolshevik hoard.
But it is very difficult as every hit they dish out knocks my eyes away from the gun sight. Ever so slowly my rounds remove the ZIS guns from the hill side when suddenly a band of T-34's storms over the hill right for me! The battle rages on with me knocking out two but a third one does me in and my tank has taken quite a beating.

The goods: Graphics are top notch in most areas. The tanks are well modeled visually both inside as well as out. The sounds are good enough, Not great but believable. The tiger drives like I would expect. These things drove like 55 ton Volkswagens. Not too difficult but not too easy either.

The bads: No control over friendly units at all! Not even the ability to tell them to stop while you sneak around to flank them! This is a huge oversight as the fact that German vehicles had two way radios gave them an edge in combat. Okay so noo communications, What else? Poor gun damage modeling, It shouldn't take 5 hits to knock out a T-34 from 700 yards! Lack of missions. No support from the parent company. Lack of choices, You have T-34-85 or Tiger I, Which would not be so bad if more of a Sim was built around them as opposed to the sprinkling of a few missions. No dynamic campaign.

This game has huge potential if the fan base ever becomes large enough to fix it. The additions of vehicles and missions would go a long way from making this Sim go stagnant.

This could have been a great Sim. Unfortunately even know the key pieces are there it falls short in many key area's. Unfortunately as is, the game is nothing more than an uncoordinated yet detailed frag festival with you going it alone so it seems against the might of the Red army, Thank gott for your Tiger!

Old 03-09-09, 05:27 AM   #2
Chucky
Planesman

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

A nice little review.I haven't given up on this just yet.It's been put in the box marked 'wait for mods to finish' and then it will come out again
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote