SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-14, 07:07 PM   #1
pfrederi
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ***HELP*** Windows 8.1 trying to run NCP Fleet Command

Hello All
Ive always loved this game and after years of life getting in the way I finally have time that I can relax and enjoy this awesome game.
Only problem is, last time I played this Windows XP was the baddest kid on the block. Now its the grandpa who's been put in a old folks home and no longer supported. Ive searched everywhere to try to get a WinXp cd to install on an old x86 PC to no avail. I figured surely theres got to be someone somewhere that loves this game enough to still provide support for it.
Anyways purchased a brand new shiny Sony VAIO flip running windows 8.1 hoping somewhow i would be able to play FC on this machine wherever I go. Ive searched forums upon forums to get an idea of what to do. Best scenario I came up with was to try to install and run FC on a WinXP virtual Machine. Only problem is keep getting error "Failed to intialize graphics display". Searched this forum and found the same error but does not explain how to fix this issue. I thought ssurely i had found a fix but that post they bable on about something else other than the problem. This is only a temporary trial to see if i could get it to work. Problem with this scenario even if i got it to work is that it has a 30day trial limit on it.

Any input on how to run this successfully in a VM or preferable to run successfully on windows 8.1 would be greatly appreciated.

Do the patches on sonalysts work for my version of FC. I have the Naval Combat pack?

Please HELP!!! Desperate to get back to my missions after a long hiatus.

Thanks
Ex USNavy FC2
pfrederi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 04:00 AM   #2
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Hi there comrade!

I had a simmilar issue with DW myself, the way I fixed it:
- installed VirtualBox.
- installed XP there.
- installed steam and game there.
- [IMPORTANT] installed the guest user extensions stuff and enabled direct 3D.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 02:26 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome Aboard

pfrederi!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 07:30 PM   #4
pfrederi
Swabbie

Thanks Guys.
Thanks for the quick reply. The version of Fleet Command Im using is the Naval Combat Pack version that has the Fleet Command, Sub Command and 688i Hunter Killer. So I guess thats the SCS version right?

ikalugin
If you can give me instructions on how you installed these things it would be much appreciated. I still cant find a way to install the guest additions. Ive been searching the web for answers.

Also are there patches out there for this version of the game because the one on the sonalysts site says not to use with my version.

Awaiting Orders

FC2 ex USNavy

Thanks in advance
Old 08-22-14, 06:53 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 08:52 PM   #6
pfrederi
Swabbie

Anyone please...

Im trying to get this game working on my laptop before I leave for vacation for labor day next week so I can take it with me. Any help would be appreciated. This should not be so difficult to get a game to work on your pc. It seems like You almost have to be a scientist before you are able to get this game to work on current systems.

Im stuck at this point. I keep checking back in hopes to see if there is a resolution to this problem but none so far.