SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-10, 06:09 PM   #1
ddiplock
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Default Sub Command on Win 7

Can anyone here tell me kindly if Sub Command works with Windows 7?

Thanks
ddiplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 07:04 PM   #2
clive bradbury
Captain

Downloads: 105

I've recently upgraded to Win7 64-bit. I can't get SC to work, but DW runs fine. No widescreen support, so I run it in a window.
clive bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 07:23 PM   #3
ddiplock
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive bradbury View Post
I've recently upgraded to Win7 64-bit. I can't get SC to work, but DW runs fine. No widescreen support, so I run it in a window.

Ah bugger. That's my hopes of getting back into Sub Command scuppered then if it doesn't run on Win7
Old 04-03-10, 07:21 AM   #4
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Sub Command runs fine for me on 64bit win7 ultimate.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-10, 08:49 AM   #5
ddiplock
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Sub Command runs fine for me on 64bit win7 ultimate.

Well, I might be tempted to give it a go then. I had a copy but my brother lost it a few years back so I reckon i'll have to get it on Steam as part of the "classic naval pack" I can't just buy SC on its own....no that would be too much like common sense on Steam's part!!!
Old 04-03-10, 02:43 PM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

You could try installing XP in a virtual machine and then install SC in it. If you have Win7 Profesional, Enterprise or Ultimate you can also use XPmode, which is a preinstalled virtual machine you can download from Microsoft.
Old 04-03-10, 04:17 PM   #7
ddiplock
Samurai Navy

I bought it and it works perfectly fine with Windows 7. But i'm going in circles on the 3rd tutorial mission. The TMA stuff with the "stacking the dots" bollocks really doen't make any sense at all. The guy's talking about old and new bearing lines and stuff and I have NO idea which is the new or old bearing lines :S I've gone through it several times and always end up quitting at the stacking the dots point because I just don't have a clue.

Not the best tutorial to be totally honest. Does anyone know of any decent tutorials/videos/guides somewhere that actually makes sense?? I don't even know how i'm supposed to stack the dots....am I meant to get them stacked in the centre of the orange line on top of eachother as best I can?? And why is there 4 lines there in the tutorial for the Sierra 1 contact when you're following one contact?? Arhhh!!!!

Sheesh Silent Hunter methods were childs play compared to this.....
Old 04-03-10, 07:18 PM   #8
ddiplock
Samurai Navy

Seems I got the hang of the TMA stuff after doing the tutorial a few times, as the guy says in the tutorial the solution doesn't need to be totally perfect, get it generally right enough and the torpedo's own sonar will guide it to the target I even moved the boat around in the training mission and used different array's and made sure the oiler was on a different bearing so that I could at least sink it if my submarine was where I wanted it to be, so that's good.

Was just trying one of the single missions, a Special Forces insertion/collection in the straight of Hormuz. Cruising along at 10 knots, towed array deployed to keep an eye on any contacts, nothing happening, ramp up the time compression to max and then several minutes later.....BOOM, my submarine is sunk....hit an influence mine apparently.

Brilliant.....

Still, enjoying it so far . Don't reckon i'll start the campaign until I've given the single missions a go and at least have SOME idea on what i'm doing....though the Akula's sonar display with the circles....THAT is pure weird, no idea how to use that at all.
Old 04-04-10, 04:25 AM   #9
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

You should probably toggle truth on at leas once during the first missions so that you get a general idea of what you are supposed to be doing. The briefings are incredibly lackluster and the mission parameters really unfair. Like in the ice mission, where you pretty much have to nail the correct entrance through the ice right away and if you don't, tough luck because time runs out.

Likewise the SEAL insertion missions. If you raise the radio mast, you'll get a message that empty mine layers have entered port in Iran. I suppose the US doesn't have satellites in the area that can tell me approximately where those minelayers have been patrolling, right.

Also apparently the autocrew doesn't bother with active sonar or HF sonar, so you have to man those stations on your own.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 08:38 AM   #10
ddiplock
Samurai Navy

Well, I guess its just going to take time for me to get used to the way things work.

I've tried numerous missions with the Akula and the broadband sonar display is just weird. It's quite tricky trying to detect contacts as there doesn't appear to be any engine noises I can hear, yet I can sometimes, SOMETIMES put the auto crew on, and they'll find something :S
Old 08-04-10, 12:09 PM   #11
nycoroner05
Soundman

Downloads: 144
Default Run in XP Mode

Just right click on the icon and choose to run compatblilty and it will take a few secs but then it will ask if you want to use this configuration and choose yes.
Old 08-11-10, 05:46 AM   #12
nycoroner05
Soundman

Downloads: 144
Default Works great

Just use the compatibility mode when playing
Old 08-12-10, 09:54 PM   #13
juniorjj84
A-ganger

Downloads: 393
Default A no go in win 7

I have win 7 running a 64 bit and i cant play the game, my screen start flikering and at times i cant even see what im doing is a BOOMER, can anyone have a solution for this.
juniorjj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 12:29 AM   #14
Smakar
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default Issues with Win 7 64-bit - FIXED

I was also having issues with getting the display working correctly with Sub Command, and none of the Compatability modes or options worked. I have an ATI video card and I finally tried changing the Catalyst Control Center 3D settings, checking the "Use application settings" in the Anti-Aliasing and Anistrophic Filtering tabs, and Sub Command now runs perfectly, and without any Compatability Mode settings required.
I am a very happy sailor now
Smakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 02:54 PM   #15
SAG55
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiplock View Post
Can anyone here tell me kindly if Sub Command works with Windows 7?

Thanks
I just re-installed it to my PC after getting a new one with Win 7. I have to run it in compatibility mode with XP Service Pack 3 but it works fine.