SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-12, 07:43 PM   #1
CptLoonee
Helmsman

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Crashing at homeport

It would seem no matter what mods I have installed, I crash to desktop at my home port.

It got so bad that I removed everything and reinstalled the game, and it is STILL happening.

Is there anyway to end the patrol away from shore??

Here are my current mods, but as I said, it happens regardless of what I have loaded.

CptLoonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 08:15 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptLoonee View Post
It would seem no matter what mods I have installed, I crash to desktop at my home port.

It got so bad that I removed everything and reinstalled the game, and it is STILL happening.

Here are my current mods, but as I said, it happens regardless of what I have loaded.

Look up the 4 gig patch for SH 4, it will help.I was getting a lot of crashes with RSRD also when near ports, not anymore.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 10:05 PM   #3
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Cpt Loonee,

You might want to try this little mod,

SH4 Validater

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=187629

It might help you find what is causing your CTD issue.

With your mod soup you have, it is possible there may be a conflict going on that could take forever trying to figure out.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 03:31 PM   #4
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

If the 4Gb patch doesn't work for you (it didn't for some of us) you can do a search for a Large Address Array utility. Download it and run it. I use it for both SH4 (TMO 2.5/RSRD, etc.) and SH3GWX with no problems since.

Good luck!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 03:55 PM   #5
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Yeah, I use the Large Address Array Utility too. SH4, BoBII, and Over Flanders Fields. Stopped almost every lockup, and CTD since. In fact, I can't remember the last time a game CTDed.

---------------------

Old 05-08-12, 04:15 PM   #6
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

That's quite a Mod Soup you've got mixed in there CptLoonee.
Do you need all of those Radar fix mods and are you certain that they're all meant to be run on top of one another? Also, I may be wrong but, isn't the Living Breathing Ocean an Environmental mod? If it is, I'm not sure it's meant to be run on top of TMO, which already has an environmental mod built into it.

Also, just out of curiosity from anyone who knows: does the lighter text in JSGME indicate the mods that have been overwritten?
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 05:24 PM   #7
pabbi
Subsim Overlord

Downloads: 420

Quote:
just out of curiosity from anyone who knows: does the lighter text in JSGME indicate the mods that have been overwritten?

Yes, a mod has been overwritten when a lighter text is written.

On the top of the world
pabbi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 06:55 PM   #8
CptLoonee
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
If the 4Gb patch doesn't work for you (it didn't for some of us) you can do a search for a Large Address Array utility. Download it and run it. I use it for both SH4 (TMO 2.5/RSRD, etc.) and SH3GWX with no problems since.

Good luck!
Do you happen to know where I can find that? I have had no luck searching for it.
Old 05-09-12, 07:08 PM   #9
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Sorry, it's Large Address Aware Utility.

It is in the first post on this thread from a forum link.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112556

Read the post to get a lttle backround on how to use it.

---------------------

Old 05-10-12, 05:26 PM   #10
CptLoonee
Helmsman

It would seem I have solved my crash issues for all but my Fletcher-class DD campaign, in which I simply cannot return to port...ever, no matter what other mods are used or what third party software is used to increase resources.

This is highly frustrating, as I have so much enjoyed playing as a surface ship and I thought I had finally gotten one to work.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-10-12, 06:58 PM   #11
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:

You said you reinstalled the game and it is still happening? Did you run the game with NO mods installed and have it ctd?

Among other things mentioned, you have 3 pre Pearl Harbor Career starts in there. So you are either changing the same file 3 times or possibly creating date conflicts if they don't change the same files. Could be a million reasons with a MOD list like that.
Try stock with NO mods and add one at a time.

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 12:12 AM   #12
CptLoonee
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
You said you reinstalled the game and it is still happening? Did you run the game with NO mods installed and have it ctd?

Among other things mentioned, you have 3 pre Pearl Harbor Career starts in there. So you are either changing the same file 3 times or possibly creating date conflicts if they don't change the same files. Could be a million reasons with a MOD list like that.
Try stock with NO mods and add one at a time.

Yeah it still crashes with everything gone but TMO and the Fletcher mod.
Old 05-11-12, 12:57 AM   #13
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Yeah it still crashes with everything gone but TMO and the Fletcher mod.
Try it without the Fletcher, then try it without the TMO or the Fletcher, just SH4 stock. If it still has a problem, you may need to reinstall the game. But if it does not then add TMO, try it, then add TMO and Fletcher and if it crashes then there is either something wrong with the Fletcher or a conflict with the Fletcher and TMO. I suspect it may be a conflict with TMO and Fletcher.

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 05-11-12, 03:30 PM   #14
CptLoonee
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Try it without the Fletcher, then try it without the TMO or the Fletcher, just SH4 stock. If it still has a problem, you may need to reinstall the game. But if it does not then add TMO, try it, then add TMO and Fletcher and if it crashes then there is either something wrong with the Fletcher or a conflict with the Fletcher and TMO. I suspect it may be a conflict with TMO and Fletcher.
It works fine without the Fletcher. Makes me sad, as I was looking forward to a surface campaign.
Old 05-11-12, 07:22 PM   #15
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
It works fine without the Fletcher. Makes me sad, as I was looking forward to a surface campaign.
Well, the problem may not be the Fletcher, it may be the combination of the Fletcher with TMO. In JSGME, enable TMO, then enable the Fletcher and make a note of the files that get overwritten. It will give you a list, I am sure you have noticed that and there may be a simple solution to the problem.

Maybe if you copy/paste the list of file changes, someone may have an answer.

What might be happening is that the Fletcher overwrites a TMO file and messes up TMO, thus causing the CTD. So both files may be perfect but just don't play well together. But maybe it can be fixed.

Did you do any supply drop or agent insertion mission with the Fletcher? That has been a problem with surface ships.