SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-10, 01:53 AM   #1
bamzors
Seaman

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 0
Default Does the DRM mean you can't exchange the game?

Sorry this is another boring DRM topic, but I have searched the forums and the interweb to try and get a decent answe but there are so many thousands of posts complaining about the ubisoft DRM I can't find an actual answer...

I've been given a legit *used* copy of Silent Hunter 5, with the original DVD, its original manual, in the original case. But after the install and registering a Ubisoft account I get the message something like 'This cd-key has already been used' (which makes a certain amount of sense - my brother already used the software).

And I see on the 'REGISTER PRODUCT' screen I get when I launch SH5 it mentions "Note that this will tie your game to this account".

Does this mean the only way you can transfer the game is to transfer the Ubisoft account with it?? Or those of you with working accounts do you know if you can do something online to transfer the licence?

Please I do *not* intend this thread to be a DRM rant - just want to know if I'm out of luck running this copy of the game (well, in that case I'll borrow my brother's online account, but that seems a bit lame).

Thanks... Bamzors
bamzors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 02:26 AM   #2
msxyz
Engineer

Downloads: 14

Yes, games like SH5 cannot be resold. And the EULA forbids to "sell" the account tied to it.
Old 05-02-10, 03:22 AM   #3
bamzors
Seaman

thanks for the quick straight answer...

bamzors
Old 05-02-10, 04:54 AM   #4
rundeepa
Watch

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz View Post
Yes, games like SH5 cannot be resold. And the EULA forbids to "sell" the account tied to it.

not strictly true, youve got nothing to lose by trying, pm me for more info
rundeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 08:35 AM   #5
u-boatluc
Watch

Downloads: 125

im getting a new computer and i want to know if i can play it on my new computer without having to get a new copy
u-boatluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 08:43 AM   #6
SabreHawk
Captain

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by u-boatluc View Post
im getting a new computer and i want to know if i can play it on my new computer without having to get a new copy
Yes, this is one advantage of this thing. You have unlimited installs and on as many computers you wish, anywhere you wish.
You could for instance install it on someone else's computer and play it at their home, so long as they have an internet connection. Or install it at work, your vacation home, ect.
The game is tied to your UBI account, not the computer it's installed in.
At least this is the way I understand it.

Last edited by SabreHawk; 05-02-10 at 09:08 AM.
SabreHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 08:44 AM   #7
bamzors
Seaman

pls help a 1st-timer... I've logged on to the web Ubisoft account that the SH5 is registered to, and as far as I can tell the only 'personalised' option available to me is to update my personal details. Did I miss something? I wasn't exactly expecting 'Steam' levels of functionality but i was expecting at least some value-added. It doesn't seem to show the status of my licences.

I wanted to confirm the SH5 licence wasn't showing an error or something. That would help me solve the mystery that the re-install on my new PC is saying 'CD-Key has been used already' even though I'm 100% certain I'm using the right key (it's printed on the manual under a label "Install Keycode') and the client login just before the 'register product' window went smoothly for the correct account (the 'register product' window has the correct account name next to a little man in blue on the top-left corner.)

Any comments appreciated - I'd rather get the kosher copy working without exploring the dodgy world of hacks.

Thanks
Bamzors

Quote:
You have unlimited installs
I know it says that on the box but have you tried it? This is exactly the situation I am in and it's screwed.
Old 05-02-10, 08:48 AM   #8
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamzors View Post
Any comments appreciated - I'd rather get the kosher copy working without exploring the dodgy world of hacks.
Because that would get you banned here.

The Management
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 09:02 AM   #9
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

^^ That and....

Dodgy hacks are bad for the OS -- get the kosher copy working instead. Contact Ubisoft for assistance, they should be able to help.
Old 05-02-10, 09:27 AM   #10
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamzors View Post
I know it says that on the box but have you tried it? This is exactly the situation I am in and it's screwed.
Yup. I play my copy at home and at my brother in laws place.
No problems so far. It syncs the savegames. All I have to do is to log in - just like on Steam

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 04:31 PM   #11
bamzors
Seaman

Thanks for your help folks. My computer has smoothly moved backwards from letting me log on ok but saying the cd-key is already used to now saying 'this game requires an internet connection' before even completing the logon. I have a PhD in computer science and I'm pretty sure there's nothing broken with my internet connection, so after a few hours trying to get this legit copy of SH5 migrated to the new PC it's time to give up and call Ubisoft when they come back to work in a couple of days...

For every post on the web about resolving issues with the install there's about a million just complaining about the hassle of the DRM which makes helpful posts hard to find, so thanks.

cheers,
Bamzors
Old 05-02-10, 05:33 PM   #12
robbo180265
Admiral

Downloads: 122

You might want to search this forum, I'm sure I remember someone else having a simlar problem. For the life of me I can't remember how he fixed it though - sorry.

Good luck anyway - UBI tech support maybe the best approach.

Oh and welcome to Subsim matey.
robbo180265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 03:48 AM   #13
bamzors
Seaman

lolzors tried again this morning and the "requires an internet connection - can't contact the master servers" issue has gone away (so I'm just back to cd-key already used). I haven't touched my windows firewall/router port forwarding/any other networking parameters and my internet connection was working fine last night as well as this morning - that issue almost certainly had to be at the Ubisoft end... shame we don't have a tool (website?)just to check the availability of the Ubisoft servers.

Bamzors
Old 05-03-10, 05:35 AM   #14
Placoderm
Soundman

Downloads: 93

Bamzors, the only way you are going to be able to legitimately use that copy of the game without violating the copy protection is if you use your brothers Ubisoft account (I.E. he transfers his account directly to you and he never uses it again). You cannot create a new account using your name and his old cd-key, even if he thinks that he legitimately 'gave' it to you. Once that particular CD-key is registered and associated with a Ubisoft account, it cannot be used again. Period.

The reason that he can no longer use his Ubisoft account is to prevent him from logging in to Ubisoft under his account that SH5 is registered to (say, to play AC2 or Settlers) while you are playing SH5...which would be impossible for one person to do, and would immediately raise a red flag with Ubisoft. Once he gives you access to his Ubi account, in principle he has transferred rights to every Ubisoft game that he owns to you as well: One account=one user=one game at a time. Anything that he has registered under that one account will raise a red flag if anything else that he has registered under that same account is in use at the same time.

The reason that I am being so specific about this is that you indicated in your post that you installed the game and tried to create a new account ("But after the install and registering a Ubisoft account ..."). You cannot do that. All you can do is use the single, already existing, unaltered account to which your brother has already registered the game. Anything else will not work.

I wish I was wrong on this, but I am pretty sure that your/his/our options are very limited as far as transferring ownership/rights is concerned, according to the EULA that we all agree to everytime the game is installed.

I hope the above info helps clear things up!

...And all was good.

"Making a decision to not make a decision would still involve a decision-making process and such a thing has not happened." -sorlim, UBIsoft Community Developer
Placoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 12:44 PM   #15
bamzors
Seaman

Understood Placoderm. I'm using the game *and* the associated online account - the game was bought for me but my brother did an install for a quick peek (this sounds complete dodgy bolox even as I write it but you have to guess whether I'm (a) an 11-year-old who spends his life downloading torrents and rebuilding my PC every couple of weeks to recover from viruses or (b) a balding middle-aged bloke with a large mortgage who only gets a chance for serious sim-time if I get up three hours before the rest of the family.)

- Noob question: I have a couple of Steam games and the info Steam gives you about your account is really quite impressive, e.g. obviously what games you've got licenced, but also their upgrade status and play stats etc. I still wonder if I've missed something with Ubisoft because I have found *no* personalised info online after I log on except I can see the profile info I typed in - is that really it or am I missing something??

I'm sure the a/c will be sorted Tuesday and I'm looking forward to seeing how good the rough seas of the North Atlantic really are in SH5.

cheers,

Bamzors