SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-09, 06:45 PM   #1
Rapt0r56
Commodore

Downloads: 391
Uploads: 0
Red Mask Changing!

Does anyone know how to change the Color from the Redmask file (the dimm from the Periscopes at Night)?
I need a blue one, for my new little Mod I'm creating.

Here's a little Preview, i will change the OHV2 Lightning to the one's from "Das Boot"
Remember the Mod is in Progress, so don't take these Screens too Real, i must decrease some lamps, and change the Fog rim...

“The sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the Living Infinite. ” ― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea
My modifications for Ubisoft's SHIII can currently be found in Maik's comprehensive archives found via the Silent Hunter 3 Tab on his website: https://maikhaas.synology.me/joomla/index.php?lang=de/

Last edited by Rapt0r56; 10-01-09 at 07:15 PM.
Rapt0r56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 07:13 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Yes you must edit the line that refers to color and give it the hex-reference for blue in all entries for the mask. Sadly I don't know which one that is, but the entries in the menu.ini file are in attack and observation scope right after the redlight entry (Which is I11). You must change I12 to I19 colours, in this line:

[G26 I12]
Name=BottomRight
Type=1030;Static bmp
ItemID=0x26120005
ParentID=0x26120000
Pos=365,-342,295,295
Color=0x96000050
Materials=1
Display=2;Linear
Mat 0=data/menu/gui/redmask.tga
Crop 0=1,1,-1,-1
MatFlags=0x9
TexFmt=0x29

The number in this example is red, but changing it you can get any colour, I have made it green to allow my new reticle to be visible in the dark as the original one does
Old 10-02-09, 07:41 AM   #3
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Why oh why do devs use such silly variable names?!! I could understand if they were coding for a Commodore PET with 8K of RAM but there has been no need for abreviated variable names sinice early 90s.

Oh well.....
Old 10-02-09, 08:30 AM   #4
Rapt0r56
Commodore

Thanks, i will try this later and give feedback.
“The sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the Living Infinite. ” ― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea
My modifications for Ubisoft's SHIII can currently be found in Maik's comprehensive archives found via the Silent Hunter 3 Tab on his website: https://maikhaas.synology.me/joomla/index.php?lang=de/
Old 10-02-09, 09:09 AM   #5
Rapt0r56
Commodore

Iv'e tryded some Hex codes for the blue mask, but all i'm getting is everytime this:

so i think, it's needed a special code for it, the normal red one is 0x96000050, so it needed a 0x........ and not my tested html hex codes.

Picture: look at the TDC slide out controls, there you've seen the "Black" redmask.
Black is not bad because it is neutral, the best would of course be blue, I continued to search.

@ Hitman does you still know where you've got the code for the green one?

[EDIT] I'm only need the Blue one 's for my Customized Attack Scope, the Ob's stayes red, becuase i will have blue dimmed lights in the Conning Tower.
Old 10-02-09, 10:15 AM   #6
evan82
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 197
Uploads: 12
This is interesting. Some time ago I also made a blue bulbs in the CT, but I never founded blue color for mask.
Old 10-02-09, 01:15 PM   #7
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

On first glance, that definitely looks like RGBA using hex values. It should be trivial to figure out if the devs used any symbolance of sense. Just move the over to get 0x00009650 and you should get blue if it is RGBA.

If 0xFFFFFF00 gives you a solid white mask, then it must be 4 sets of hex values as Red, Green/Blue, Green/Blue, Alpha.

Another thing to look at is that the mask TGA doesn't filter any of the RGB channels. Perhaps it is set to only use the Red channel?
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 01:41 PM   #8
Rapt0r56
Commodore

Thanks Gizmo!
your code works:

I give you credits in my Readme.
Now i have the Redmask, and continue work on the bulbs, white and redlight needes some fine-tuning
[Edit] Blue is already finished, preview is the first screen above

Quote:
This is interesting. Some time ago I also made a blue bulbs in the CT, but I never founded blue color for mask.
Iv'e also wanted blue lamps in the radioroom but with OH it is unaviable, as you seen in "Das Boot" they often have blue bulps in the Radioroom at night.

It were nice eyecandy when you stand in the Central, and look in the RR and see all blue
Old 10-02-09, 02:00 PM   #9
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Hey I'm glad you worked it out

There are actually two masks, a soft black one -with the only purpose of making the red darker- and the actual red one. In your first attempt the black one became too evident, but now it's cool

Quote:
It were nice eyecandy when you stand in the Central, and look in the RR and see all blue
Yes, in Das Boot they used to signal silent running and/or repair status. Probably intended to be a low consumption light, but actually totally devoid from reality -where blue light was never used AFAIK-. I have heard that in the Das Boot DVD, the director admitted that it was used for dramatization purposes, as the crew looked even paler and frightened with it.

A very cool looking mod, anyway, which I would also love to use. Pity we can't rig for red in the dark and for blue in silent running
Old 10-02-09, 02:40 PM   #10
Rapt0r56
Commodore

Quote:
Yes, in Das Boot they used to signal silent running and/or repair status. Probably intended to be a low consumption light, but actually totally devoid from reality -where blue light was never used AFAIK-. I have heard that in the Das Boot DVD, the director admitted that it was used for dramatization purposes, as the crew looked even paler and frightened with it.
Here's the one when they sleep, (before any enemy contact). (This Screen is after the Scene: Morgen Herr Obermachinist! - Morgen ist gut... 5 vor 12(voll)

[Edit]: I think they using Blue lights 'cause they are a bit darker than the red one, red is only switched on in the Centrale. Blue lamps are also used in Silent running and repair Status.

Quote:
A very cool looking mod, anyway, which I would also love to use. Pity we can't rig for red in the dark and for blue in silent running
yes it disturbed me too.
Old 10-02-09, 04:08 PM   #11
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

thats really nice Raptor ! well done !

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 07:05 PM   #12
Rapt0r56
Commodore

I've found a new little eyecandy that i can add... (I must changed the Mod's name in "Das Boot Enhanced Interior")

Have anyeone an Idea in what Tga. File i can find this, i'm now searching the whole Textures folder, and can't found it.

so this is it about: (I need the File Name of the after Bulkhead or the One's where it is involved.)

As you seen i'm having a little accident, iv'e changed the whole wall to the New Textur I thought it was the Texture.

And her'es the new one i wanna add to the Bulk, so that at least it looks as if you could look through it:
Old 10-03-09, 02:17 AM   #13
evan82
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 197
Uploads: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapt0r View Post
Thanks Gizmo!
your code works:

Iv'e also wanted blue lamps in the radioroom but with OH it is unaviable, as you seen in "Das Boot" they often have blue bulps in the Radioroom at night.

The RR in OH is buckle up into the CR structure. I know. Other color for the bulbs in OH is difficult for set But this blue mask is very nice - very nice. I'd like to have something like this in my XXI CT.
Great Job!
Old 10-03-09, 01:19 PM   #14
Rapt0r56
Commodore

too bad i can't find the file for the bulkhead, i also used S3D, but nothing.
... so i continue work on the bulps.
Old 10-03-09, 09:33 PM   #15
Rapt0r56
Commodore

So, I'm done with my work as almost, I had much fun in modding the lamps and the redmask's. Still a little fine tuning needed, and I will upload them later or tomorrow. Here are a few Screens of the things that you get with my mod.

Hope you like it:
I'm comparing those with Screenies from Das Boot.

WHITE:

RED: (i reduce some fog , and get the red Atmospheric light at night darker. Before releasing it.)

BLUE: (here also a little darker Atmospheric light.)

And here little Extras:
The Red one is not included, i just wanna show the Contrast to Blue:

And atleast, an darker Redmask at the Map:

Hope you like it, any feedback or Questions post here or PM.