SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-18, 07:29 PM   #1
modelrrfan51
Watch

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
radar SH4 TMO add on

Hi,
I have SH4 version 1.5. How does the TMO option or mod change SH4 and what does it change?
Also what other mods or option are available that would be recommended to add to SH4
Any help or good advice on TMO and other mods would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
modelrrfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 08:11 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The first thing to point you at is [REL] JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME) v2.6.0 - Read up on that, get it set in your head, especially folder structure.

THEBERBSTER has a version of Webster's Game Fixes Only (GFO) mod, which is a good place to start your modding escapades. THEBERBSTER is very adept at holding hands and not making a person feel uncomfortable...
THEBERBSTEES All In One Beginners Mega Mod List - just to be certain you see / try that...

As for TMO, it's a "difficulty" mod. As such, certain aspects of the game are made more difficult so that you don't do things that a WW2 skipper would not do, such as shoot at planes. Ducimus made them very tough and very deadly. aka: Ducimus' Evil Airplanes. Then, the DDs are much more aggressive, and drop their boom-boom cans deeper earlier. Things like that...
[REL] Trigger Maru Overhauled

Lurker made a mod, originally used to alter the Campaign, in an attempt to emulate "real life". He also changed the way the AI reacts to your submarine, and added more bases to start your boat from:
[REL] Run Silent, Run Deep - The Campaign - It can "fly" several different ways - Read the ReadMe files...

Then Bleiente came along, and made his own mix of the two above, with his own "evil" twist to difficulty. It is also very fun to play:
Ralles RealModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC - he is still developing his "Soup" mix...

Then there is my current favorite
FOTRS Ultimate Project which is in "beta" form right now, being actively developed. It was (and as of v0.63, still is) a difficulty mod, and since we combined several versions of the original Fall of the Rising Sun together, in certain situations, it is more difficult than TMO, yet in other places, not so much... The team is in the process of running through more issues that we've discovered, and hope to have a new version out before long, but I cannot begin to guess when that might be...

In all cases, when doing these mods, it is imperative that you start with deleting the SH4 Save folder, which is usually C:\Users \Username \Documents \SH4\. After that a "fresh, clean" install of SH4, then activate the mod (unless you use MultiSH 4) Good luck, good hunting, and most of all, have ~fun~!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 01:48 PM   #3
modelrrfan51
Watch

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Support thanks

Hi Propbeanie,

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciate it.
Will start finding out about the Jones Software Generic Mod Enabler.
So said about removing the SH4 save folder. Is that like unstalling the game and then reinstalling the game or is this just a part of the orginial install.
Sorry for not being a computer genius here, so takes me a little while to comprehend some of this stuff.
Will also start looking at the things THEBERBSTEES has on here
Again thanks for the help

David
modelrrfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 04:22 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Honestly, you are better off with a new install of the game. The main issue is the Save folder (the "C:\User \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder). The way the game Saves files is somewhat unconventional (possibly for modding??), and holds all sorts of info about all aspects of the game install and your play. One little mistaken cross-touch of an obsolete file from the Save folder into the game, and "Boom!", CTD and / or corrupted Save.

Once you wrap your head around JSGME (actually, easier than it looks at first), if you plan on doing much mod experimenting, it behooves you to look into that MultiSH4 that I linked you to above. All it does is create other Save folders of your own naming, which allows you to keep different game installs separate from each other. Along with it, and another step deeper is Rockin Robbins' Corruption Management System (SH4CMS). It does its stuff with batch files, which are text-based and easy enough to bend to your will, if so inclined.

One step at a time though. Get yourself some JSGME understanding, get a mod in, and see how you like it. Another important thing to keep in mind is to be sure and install the game in a non-protected folder. When Windows came out with their User Access Control (UAC) back in the days of Vista, they also "protected" more folders from "unauthorized" tampering. Windows does not recognize JSGME as an "authorized" source of alteration. Therefore, when you apply mods to a game installed in a My Programs folder, Windows will put things back the way it knows it should be. I mention this somewhat facetiously, but it does do that. Install SH4 in a folder of your choosing, not the default My Programs.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote