SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-18, 02:33 PM   #1
darkwolv
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default A bug?

Hello I'm pretty new to SH3, and am running GWX. Not entire sure where I should post this, so if this isn't the spot, I'm sorry.

I love the game and want to keep playing it, but I've come across one issue that just bugs me to no end.

When the seas are rough and I'm surfaced, I come across the waves constantly going over top of my sub, and repeatedly end up with the "Depth 10 meters" notification popping up. When the waves are really bad, this happens a lot and makes hunting in rough seas nigh impossible, and its just annoying.

I suppose I just want to know if this is a bug, and if so how to fix it. Or if this is just something I'm going to have to learn to live with. Or if I'm just being dumb and should be doing something differently in rough seas.
darkwolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 02:35 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

darkwolv!
Quote:
I come across the waves constantly going over top of my sub, and repeatedly end up with the "Depth 10 meters" notification popping up. When the waves are really bad, this happens a lot and makes hunting in rough seas nigh impossible, and its just annoying.
SO...YOUR PROBLEM BEING:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-12-18 at 02:54 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 02:51 PM   #3
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

No, it's not a glitch, it's just a reality http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ostcount=13753

At this weather the attack is really difficult, especially if you use manual targeting, the visibility is good and you play in 43 th
Maintain a periscope depth of 10 meters and rely entirely on luck ....
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 02:57 PM   #4
darkwolv
Nub

Downloads: 2

Okay, so its something I'll just have to learn to live with as a U-boat captain. Good to know. Thanks for the replies.
darkwolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 03:48 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > darkwolv
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Maintaining periscope depth and hitting a target without the torpedo running deep is almost impossibe in bad weather.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-18, 08:25 AM   #6
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Downloads: 61

While the waves and weather system in GWX is "technically more realistic" it diesn't work particularly well in SH3 in my opinion. I am "one of those" who likes to enjoy the scenery (external cameras) while I'm playing, since I avoid (heavy) time compression.

Anyway, I found a "SH5 water for GWX" mod which only needed a few tweaks and a moonlight mod on top to work perfectly. 20km atmosphere is also "better" than 16km that GWX addon works with. The wave settings in this mod is also quite intense but the waves aren't quite as close together so at least your sub has the propeller in the water most of the time.

I'm at work now but I'll see if I can find the links when I get home tonight.

EDIT:
SH5 water for GWX: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3314

In my opinion this mod needs tweaking but it works better than latest genral version in my opinion.

Last edited by Dirk Gently; 11-26-18 at 12:19 PM.
Dirk Gently is offline   Reply With Quote