SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-19, 04:39 PM   #1
jotabe1984
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default ModList recommended for new Captains

Hi there.

i'm a great fan of Silent Hunter saga, but i've never really felt the need of installing SH IV or V, since SH III+GWX 3 gold had all the fun i could possibly want despite some flaws. I'm used to play at 97% realism there (only event camera on).

But in the past few weeks i read a lot about the Silent Service and the Pacific campaign of US Submarines... so therefore playing SH IV became a priority to me.

i will purchase the Steam vanilla version, but i would love to know what mods should i consider... i look forward to:
- Improve graphic fidelity (compared to stock SH4)
- Improve realism as much as i can ask for (compared to stock SH4 and mostly including dud torps in the kind of historically accurated 30% or higher dud ratio)
- Improve AI difficulty (we all know that IJN ASW wasn't great -moreon if compared with allied ASW warfare- but for what i've seen it is just too easy in the stock version)

I have read that there's a supermod called FOTRS but i do not know if i need yet another mods to be installed in order to play the way i want

thanks for any tips i can get
jotabe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-19, 08:08 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you go for the Steam version, you have to buy "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific" and "Silent Hunter: Uboat Missions Add-on" (or whatever their official names are on Steam) - 2 versions. The first version only gets you to SH4 v1.3, which has very few mods to be found for anymore. If you want to play the Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate edition, then you definitely need the Uboat missions add-on to bring your game up to v1.5, which is a much better game anyway, with dynamic loading being a ~big~ game changer (literally). When you go to install the game, you do not want it to be under the Steam folder in Program Files (x86), which can be a bother, depending upon your computer and how many hard drives you have...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-19, 05:59 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > jotabe1984
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-19, 08:54 AM   #4
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

Icon14

I playSH3 / NYGM for years and still enjoy it. I recently tried SH4 Gold with Uboat missions , and its just as good. It adds interesting campaign/ history in the Pacific and Indian oceans.

I used the subsim store link and purchased DL from Amazon SH4 Gold with the Uboat missions which is v1.5. This version adds important features and newer mods are built specifically for it. **Read the install advice here at subsim before you start.

I played vanilla for a while then tried: Ralles RealModSoup for TMO_RSRDC_OTC which i have been very happy with . Basically this is three of the most popular mods blended together. (Bleiente thanks ). I plan to try FOTRS as well.

Last edited by Vox165; 01-30-19 at 09:30 AM.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote