SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-14, 02:55 PM   #1
Spraug
Helmsman

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
SHO Battle of the Philippine Sea

Hi there, since I still don't use RSRD (will as soon as this career is done), I was wondering if I can find the Japanese Fleet going for the Battle of the Philippine Sea (Marianas Turkey Shoot).

Strangely enough, I thought I still had enough time to return to port and come back in a new patrol, but when I entered port I got the history tour that the battle had just occurred. On the SIXTH OF JUNE!!!

Being the coward that I am, I reloaded a previous save game, refit at that little sub tender NE of Rabaul and then went ahead to the rough area, where I arrived now around the 1st of June. Until the 7th I now need to rescue airmen SE of Guam, but that should be long enough to return to my post.

My question: where should I look? I got the coordinates of the sunk Japanese carriers and will just patrol W of the first two (Taiho and Shokaku). Does enybody have the route the Japanese fleet came on?

Thanks as always

P.S.: I have to admit that I am would also be interested to know where exactly to find Yamato/Musashi, if anyone knows. I guess they would be in C fleet 100 E of A and B, right? Does the standard game even differentiate so much?
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2

Last edited by Spraug; 12-19-14 at 03:23 PM. Reason: P.S.
Spraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-14, 04:48 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

I remember one patrol in which I encountered the whole Imperial Fleet during the Battle of the Marianas. I was using TMO (can't remember if I had RSRD loaded or not) where on a normal patrol cycle which my home port was Majuro, that I was assigned a patrol area west of the Marianas where I encountered most of the Japanese Fleet including both the Yamato and the Musashi, plus all the major carriers. I kow that the vanilla version simulates the battle, but have not experienced it first hand.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-14, 06:20 PM   #3
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

WIKI is your friend on this one but since your not running RSRD the accuracy of where the ship are will be sketchy at best. Battle of the Philippine Sea (June 19–20, 1944)

I prefer the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Finding the center force in the San Bernadina Straights at night is exciting. My largest score on that night is the Yamato and two Heavy Cruisers.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-14, 05:04 AM   #4
Spraug
Helmsman

Thanks for the help

yep, I got that map and half a dozen others. Unfortunately they don't show the coordinates of the approach. Well, you're right: I'll have to count on luck (like the real submariners) and if that fails there'll sill be Leyte!
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Old 12-20-14, 02:19 PM   #5
Spraug
Helmsman

Found it! ... then nuclear torpedoes vs. glass ships

Hi, I found the fleet(s) in the standard game and since I assume they'll always take this route, I thought I should post it:

They are sailing in three fleets in a triangle formation with the first one maybe 20km ahead of the others. On 18th of June 1944 at 1730 they can be found at 10°42' N 135° 53' E going N to NNE.

P.S.: Fortunately I was in a position to attack and - at 66% realism (high except for manual TDC and external view off) it took one torpedoe each to sink: 3 Shokaku-class carriers, 1 Taiho-class carrier, 1 Hiryu-class carrier, 2 Mogami-class cruisers, four assorted destroyers and 1 Fuso-class battleship! 200'000 tons in one encounter, which happens to be around double of what the best sub did in the whole war. Really? I select 66% realism and get arcade?

This encounter turned me off so much that I am aborting the whole career and install RSRD & TMO immediately. LEt's see how that plays.
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Old 12-21-14, 12:38 AM   #6
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Found it! ... then nuclear torpedoes vs. glass ships
I select 66% realism and get arcade?

This encounter turned me off so much that I am aborting the whole career and install RSRD & TMO immediately. LEt's see how that plays.
Plain Vanilla
Well, vanilla, 66% realism; I'm not surprised.

In a way, it's good that you're turned off. It means you've mastered the vanilla/auto-targeting thing, and are ready for something better.

I use all the realism options, except external view, and I'm careful not to cheat with it. It's mostly an entertainment thing to look at when nothing much is happening, or take screen shots.

I also adhere to certain 'house rules', and make use of realistic mods. House rules include:

• Going to my assigned patrol area, and working it for at least a week.
  • Not using the TDC in an S-boat.
  • Not using the hydrophones to listen for over-the-horizon ships.
  • Not keeping boat out for an absurd length of time.
  • No map-contacts - ever!
  • Ted Healy system.
  • Not peaking inside RSRDC to scout targets.
I'm still trying to figure out some better ones.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-14, 05:20 AM   #7
Spraug
Helmsman

Well, TDC for example isn't something that bothers me. I could have it on auto and it would still be a challenge, because a) you can still miss so you have to get in a good position and b) a ship shouldn't go down after one torpedo. You can still aim for one shot kills if you're REALLY lucky, or at least with few torpedoes, but you still have to concentrate on a target.

With what happened yesterday, that was outright ridiculous. The carriers OK, they were in the exact situation as Taiho and Shokaku - rearming and refuelling the planes so I could have accepted that. But both Mogami-class and the Fuso-class went down after one hit too. I'm sorry that is total b… (excuse my language).

Personally, I don't want to have 100% realistic - I want comparatively realistic and challenge and fun. But definitely not Arcade style.
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Old 12-22-14, 01:22 PM   #8
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Your going to enjoy dieing more often lol

Until you get the hang of those mods anyway.

There are plenty of version out there as well.

Operation Monsun
We Dive at Dawn
Wolves of the Kieser
Trigger Maru Overhaul
Run Silent Run Deep
Fall of the Rising Sun

as well as others.

We Dive at Dawn was pretty cool

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote