SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-14, 10:26 AM   #1
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Uploads: 0
Default Is anybody doing a Wiki for these games?

Wiki is a concept that makes searching for data SO much easier. I know that wiki's exist for other games that are getting a bit long in the tooth and it seems like this one is a classic and that a Wiki should exist.

I've had a number of questions and I'm going to post them one by one so that I can get some granular answers but when I've started playing other games as a NOOB a wiki that I could browse and read at leisure allowed me to get answers to questions I didn't even know enough to ask.

The sticky notes at the top of the board are a GREAT start but the posts can get outdated and very quickly confusing. A well-moderated/maintained wiki stays up to date. I'd be GLAD to help with the scut work but I have never set up a wiki from scratch and I'm so new here I don't want to step on any toes.

I also don't want to flood this board with inane or stupid questions that have already been answered but after a few minutes searching in what I THINK is the correct sticky noted topic I have almost always come away without finding a really satisfying answer.

I'll post the questions I have here separately but try to keep them down to the important few.

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 12-13-14 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added tags
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-14, 01:16 PM   #2
depthtok33l
Sparky

Downloads: 61

Great idea in my opinion but people here may not want to contribute (lazy or they just don't want to) articles to the wiki because this is what this forum is for.

So you may have to do all the work by yourself or maybe you can convince a handful of people to help you put up articles there. Another downside is that you may have to shake this forum up side down to squeeze out good bits of information to put up in the wiki e.g. tactics, info etc.
depthtok33l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-14, 07:37 PM   #3
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

To me this is the wiki of subsim. You get information here, tactics here, downloads here, a kick in the butt here, and you get updated questions and answers fairly quickly.

You could do a write up of the web site ... I think that would be more productive because from that others could find this web site and it's helpful downloads and information.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 02:09 AM   #4
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Default If I do a wiki...

There will certainly be a link to this site as well as a cite of this site!

The advantage to a wiki is that information can be better organized and sorted plus Google loves to sweep them for links that they use in searches.
Old 12-14-14, 01:59 PM   #5
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

What better organized than a forum page, a download page all sectioned out by platform and version? I think it might be beneficial for directing others to this web site but I honestly do not see how it could be better in offering what this site offers and in how it is organized.

It is pretty easy to find what you need on this site be it OS information on installing the game or downloads for specific SH versions and their compatible add-ons.

You can not even ask a question and get an answer within 24 hours on a wiki but you can here.

I'd say make a wiki about this site itself and it's history and what it has to offer.

There are people here who have been playing subsims longer than some have been alive. I remember Neal back when 688 multiplayer was popular and there were online virtual navies like the Seawolves and the Marauders to fight against using nuclear submarines. There were international battles where I sat at that sonar station for hours more than once trying to hunt another boat down. There were also co-op missions so you could run in packs against service fleets and this was back when the best you had was a 56k modem and it work great.

There is a real history behind what is already on subsim.com. Interview the old members and Neal and write about that on it's own.

Leave the rest for Subsim.com.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-14, 04:51 PM   #6
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Default I appreciate what your saying.

There IS a tremendous amount of good information here and it's already clear that there is a community and camaraderie as well.

Of course I was just spit-balling here and don't have any plans to do anything with my free-time but play this game at present. However you should take a look at the wiki for Europa Universalis IV

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Europa_Universalis_4_Wiki

A wiki could be a great learning tool particularly useful to newbies. It can also link in with other wikis which would drive even more people to this site.

I tend to play a lot of very detail oriented sims and PC games and I find that its always a bit overwhelming to the newcomer. Having come from a stretch of playing EU IV I was just jonesing for a nice easy way to surf to the info that I needed when I needed it.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Old 12-14-14, 10:32 PM   #7
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I think the idea has considerable merit. There are probably many computer gamers out there that would enjoy SH sims, if they tried them, and were not too put off by the stock bugs. A link to this site would offer a solution for that.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-14, 08:57 AM   #8
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

A wiki is an excellent idea! Comparatively learning to mod Rome: Total War took me much less time than learning how to mod Silent Hunter 4 all thanks in part to a wiki page.

It seems the feeling may be that a wiki will render the subsim forum obsolete but that's not true at all. A good forum linked with a well laid out wiki provides a wealth of information to all who want to get started out in modding and even to veteran modders.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-14, 03:51 PM   #9
Spraug
Helmsman

Downloads: 35
Default Yay!

As all my posts clearly illustrate, I couldn't contribute a lot to that wiki, but I think the idea is fantastic, because it would make finding information so much easier. And I think we all agree that there is a lot more pertinent information to this game than to most others. It's probably fair to say that two to three average games together don't require as much information to play "properly" as Silent Hunter (4).
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Spraug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nooby, wiki