SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-16-14, 04:26 AM   #1
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Uploads: 0
Default Can't Lock Scope or Ship type?

Help transitioning to manual targeting in U-Boats?

Just installed the mods listed below and wanted to make sure it would all works when I start to experiment with manual torpedo targeting. (I've only used auto-targeting until now)

RSRDC_SH15_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start
OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_To_V720
OMv720_Patch5
OMEGU_v300
OMEGUv300_Patch7
DarkRecognitionmanual
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)

VERY carefully I lined up a single ship
Closed to within 2000 yards.
Waited until the ship was within 30 degrees of my bow.

Correctly identified the ship as a Coastal Composite Freighter.
Couldn't get the lock button to work (as it does in auto mode)
pushing button doesn't work
typing L doesn't work

Couldn't get the upper right target data pad to show the ship type no matter what I did.
Had the page open in the book.
Had the freighter in my scope
Manually kept the stack in my scope cross-hairs
hit the check mark over and over, no joy.

Two little problems...
the little red check in the recognition book refused to update my target ship type
the lock button refused to function.

I've never done this before, can someone tell me what I'm missing?

I'm certain that I correctly ID'd the type of ship as I got frustrated and sank it with guns.

I'm thinking maybe it's a mod conflict.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 12-18-14 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Better title for post, add order of mods to body of post
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 12:02 AM   #2
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Default Never mind...

Never mind I sorted out the mod order (I think) I now have the ability to lock on back.

Also found a good tutorial on using the controls on the U-boat.
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Old 12-17-14, 09:34 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Glad you got it worked out.
Old 12-17-14, 10:41 AM   #4
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Havan_IronOak, looking at your mod list, I've got some questions.

Quote:
RSRDC_SH15_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start
OMEGUv300
DarkRecognitionmanual
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)
The fact that your trying to use RSRDC with the Operation Monsun Environmental (OMEGUv300) mod puzzles me?

RSRDC is strictly for use with the American Campaign. OMEGUv300 is to be used with Operation Monsun (a German Campaign mod) and its updated version and patch.

If your going to play the German side of play, I suggest the following mod list....and in the following activation order:

OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_To_V720
OMv720_Patch5
OMEGU_v300
OMEGUv300_Patch7

This gives you the Operation Monsun German Campaign....updates the version to 720, patches it to Patch5.....adds the "Environmental" mod version 300, then patches it to Patch7. This will provide you with the most up to date versions of Operation Monsun......for playing the German side of things.

Once you have the above listed mods downloaded from SubSim's "Downloads" menu...... under Silent Hunter 4, Mega Mods you'll be ready to add the darker Recognition Manual, and the 3000 Meter Bearing Tool (I'm guessing you'll use the Metric version of the Bearing Tool, if your playing the German side of things).

Once you have your game modded as above, you may find things will operate more as expected.

==============

One additional note:

You may want to remove all mods from your "Activation" page in JSGME, and open the "Tasks....." menu of JSGME. Have it "Compare Snapshot" which will have JSGME check the original game files (when you originally took the "Snapshot", comparing them with what you have now....after loading/unloading a few mods into the game). Since there seemed to be a conflict with some of your mods, its a good idea to make sure there aren't leftover mod files in the stock game, which will screw up the works for your game once you use the correct mods. Didn't take a "Snapshot" of your clean game files when you first added JSGME? Uninstall/Reinstall the game as described HERE, then take the Snapshot of your clean stock game files.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 12-17-14 at 10:55 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-14, 05:15 AM   #5
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Default Thanks for your post.

I'm gonna try it your way - it makes sense.

What I was going for with the RunSilentRunDeep mods was the ability to start my U-boat career earlier and in the Atlantic.

Turns out... that was unnecessary. The mods you suggested work just fine for a 1939 start.

Now I'm trying

OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_To_V720
OMv720_Patch5
OMEGU_v300
OMEGUv300_Patch7
Silhouette and RecManual Mod v1.3
Red Lighting for OM

Liking all this so far with a few minor beefs:
I'd like the reprogrammed numpad enter key to signal return to normal time compression rather than fire torpedo
I'd like the ship's hull forms to be restored to my targeting map rather than just the dots on the bows.

3000 Meter Bearing Tool (1920x) Does NOT work with this set-up. It leaves most of the gauges as white blocks of missing data.
I might try to load this ahead of OMEGU to see if that will correct the issues.
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 12-18-14 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-18-14, 04:58 PM   #6
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
3000 Meter Bearing Tool (1920x) Does NOT work with this set-up. It leaves most of the gauges as white blocks of missing data.
I might try to load this ahead of OMEGU to see if that will correct the issues.
No, don't load it ahead of OMEGU. It's correct placement is after the OMEGUv300_Patch7.

I don't know why these other two mods you've chosen (Silhouette and RecManual Mod v1.3, Red Lighting for OM) would mess with the 3000 Meter Bearing Tool (1920x) and screw up the dials?....but maybe they do.

I activated the five OM mods into my game, then loaded the 3000 Meter Bearing Tool (1920x). Started the game to see what would happen. Here's the screen shots of the interior:

The dials/gauges look OK to me.

Following the instructions I put into this reply for making the 3000 Meter Bearing Tool compatible with all Operation Monsun German submarines....this is what I had on the Navigation Map:

The Bearing Plotter is correctly calibrated for a 1920x map screen resolution (1500 meters measures 1500 meters).

Again, you should remove the two added mods from activation. Try the OM mods, with just the Bearing Plotter (after following the instructions I made in making the Plotter compatible with OM), then see what you get. Your game should look corect.......unless, you have corrupted stock game files.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual targeting, nooby