SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-16, 07:16 PM   #16
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathealey2 View Post
Excellent work. Thank you - trying it now.
Hello, pathealey2 and welcome onboard!

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-16, 01:04 PM   #17
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229
Uploads: 0

If this is for any help:

I had once met a wolfpack outside Portugal. I fired a stern tube at one of the submarines just to see what would happen...the torpedo hit the submerged submarine at the rear...however, the only apparent effect was a paint scratch...
Old 02-14-16, 01:36 PM   #18
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Technology...states:

Either by echo sounder, which means that the ASW unit passes directly over the submarine, or some sophisticated sonar devices which were definitely not available during ASDIC era!
Old 02-14-16, 06:22 PM   #19
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 193

Quote:
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
Type 147 or "Sword" was a depth finding sonar used in conjunction with Type 144. Its beam was broad horizontally but narrow vertically and could be steered vertically.
Type 145Q and 147Q
Quote:
The Q attachment was an additional Asdic set which required separate transmitting and receiving equipment suitably inter- connected with the main set. Physically, the Q oscillator was mounted beneath the main oscillator and trained with it. It projected a fan shaped beam that was narrower in the horizontal plane than the main Asdic beam but sufficiently wide in the vertical plane to receive echoes at any angle from the horizontal to 45 degrees below horizontal. The beam was only 3 degrees wide on the horizontal plane. Collectively, this new arrangement enabled contact to be maintained with deep targets at short ranges and also minimized the dead zone.
Old 02-14-16, 06:50 PM   #20
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978 View Post
Technology...states:

Either by echo sounder, which means that the ASW unit passes directly over the submarine, or some sophisticated sonar devices which were definitely not available during ASDIC era!
Hi!

Actually, it was possible to get a reasonably accurate assessment of the submarine's depth.

Case 1:Consider the case of a lone destroyer early in the war, as shown in the image below: a destroyer closing on a submarine will lose sonar contact when the submarine is no longer in the "searchlight" of the active sonar; however, the destroyer knows how wide the searchlight is, so a quick trigonometric calculation will tell the destroyer the depth of the submarine given the range. For example, if the range is 500 yards when the contact fades then the destroyer knows the submarine is at a depth of about 88 meters. The U-boat will now maneuver to put as much distance between itself and the last depth at which the submarine was detected.

Case 2: A late-war (1943+) destroyer with advanced high frequency "Q" and "Type 147" sonar that provides the destroyer much more precise azimuth, angle, and range to the target, in which case trigonometry provides a quick firing solution within the range of an ahead-throwing weapon such as "Hedgehog" or "Squid" which allows for a highly accurate barrage.

These illustrations are from the "Tactics" appendix of the GWX 3.0 Gold Manual, if you are interested.

Hope this helps!

Pablo

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 04:13 AM   #21
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Guys, lets try and keep this on subject. If you are using the mod i'd like some feedback,especially from those who play late war careers. Thanks.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
Old 02-15-16, 08:43 AM   #22
tomfon
Grey Wolf

I have updated the first post with technical info regarding the performance of depth charges.

Mods for SH3

Last edited by tomfon; 02-16-16 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 08:15 PM   #23
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Two questions:
  1. Is what you define as "shockwave effect" the same as explosion_impulse?
  2. What exactly is explosion_impulse? Perhaps the time length of the explosion in ms?

Thanx for the info.
rudewarrior is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 05:17 AM   #24
tomfon
Grey Wolf

@rudewarior

1. Exactly.
2. It defines the change of momentum due to a nearby explosion. If you specify a large number the boat will be "dragged" through the water... This parameter has no effect on the performance of depth charges and it is not related to the damage inflicted on the U-boat. So, yeah, it's the shockwave effect.

Mods for SH3

Last edited by tomfon; 03-24-16 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-20-16, 04:30 AM   #25
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Hi!

Actually, it was possible to get a reasonably accurate assessment of the submarine's depth.

Case 1:Consider the case of a lone destroyer early in the war, as shown in the image below: a destroyer closing on a submarine will lose sonar contact when the submarine is no longer in the "searchlight" of the active sonar; however, the destroyer knows how wide the searchlight is, so a quick trigonometric calculation will tell the destroyer the depth of the submarine given the range. For example, if the range is 500 yards when the contact fades then the destroyer knows the submarine is at a depth of about 88 meters. The U-boat will now maneuver to put as much distance between itself and the last depth at which the submarine was detected.

Case 2: A late-war (1943+) destroyer with advanced high frequency "Q" and "Type 147" sonar that provides the destroyer much more precise azimuth, angle, and range to the target, in which case trigonometry provides a quick firing solution within the range of an ahead-throwing weapon such as "Hedgehog" or "Squid" which allows for a highly accurate barrage.

These illustrations are from the "Tactics" appendix of the GWX 3.0 Gold Manual, if you are interested.

Hope this helps!

Pablo
Interesting I would say...I will study that and I will post my thoughts! Meanwhile, keep in mind that the parallax error of a 60m target at those distances may be big!
Old 03-03-17, 04:16 PM   #26
Izgud
Watch

Downloads: 150

Great mod! Exactly what GWX needs.
Izgud is offline   Reply With Quote