SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-17, 08:49 PM   #1
EagleBeak
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default 2004 Russian campaign CRAZY hard

Let me start by saying I'm not complaining about this mod! This mod is amazing, and I don't even play the vanilla game anymore. However, I felt it about time for everyone who's played this campaign to have a "safe space" to whine and complain.

Playing as the Russians in 2004 is a hair-pulling experience. I don't claim to be the best player, but I can beat a US campaign on Hard difficulty without a single defeat (or spam save). However, I'm having a very difficult time finishing a single campaign as the 2004 Russians right now on normal or easy difficulty.

2 biggest issues I'm having:

1st: Mother-*******ing ACAPS

Holy cow, these things are the energizer bunnies of the US Navy. I honestly don't mind their amazing detection range, or how impossible it is to lose them. BUT, what I cannot stand is the fact that every time I have one launched at me, the ensuing fight to stay alive lasts FOREVER. I've never timed their swim time, but it feels like 20 minutes. Chances are that I will successfully evade it, BUT, that's 20 minutes less game time I have every time I get shot at. Very boring.

2nd: Campaign Map

This is actually the biggest reason I put up the game for days at a time. I am beginning to think that some of the mission briefs were paired up incorrectly with the missions themselves, because it is often nearly impossible to find the targets. The last one I've been stuck on tells me to find US subs in the Barents Sea, and they are NOT in the Barents Sea. Not only have I spam loaded over and over searching all over the Barents to find where the subs, but during this time I have Soviet aircraft all over the Barents as well . . . not a single sub to be found.
I addition to that, god be with you if you are sent on a mission near the GUIK line. One things these missions to teach you is how important military intelligence is in real life, because you have none on these missions (which is realistic of course, unlike the previous issue).

Alrighty then, off my soap box! Feel free to talk about all the frustrations you guys are having with the Russian campaign! Also, if anyone has any tips or tricks to playing as the Russians, well . . . it'd be criminal not to share.
EagleBeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 12:11 PM   #2
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBeak View Post
Let me start by saying I'm not complaining about this mod! This mod is amazing, and I don't even play the vanilla game anymore. However, I felt it about time for everyone who's played this campaign to have a "safe space" to whine and complain.

Playing as the Russians in 2004 is a hair-pulling experience. I don't claim to be the best player, but I can beat a US campaign on Hard difficulty without a single defeat (or spam save). However, I'm having a very difficult time finishing a single campaign as the 2004 Russians right now on normal or easy difficulty.

2 biggest issues I'm having:

1st: Mother-*******ing ACAPS

Holy cow, these things are the energizer bunnies of the US Navy. I honestly don't mind their amazing detection range, or how impossible it is to lose them. BUT, what I cannot stand is the fact that every time I have one launched at me, the ensuing fight to stay alive lasts FOREVER. I've never timed their swim time, but it feels like 20 minutes. Chances are that I will successfully evade it, BUT, that's 20 minutes less game time I have every time I get shot at. Very boring.

2nd: Campaign Map

This is actually the biggest reason I put up the game for days at a time. I am beginning to think that some of the mission briefs were paired up incorrectly with the missions themselves, because it is often nearly impossible to find the targets. The last one I've been stuck on tells me to find US subs in the Barents Sea, and they are NOT in the Barents Sea. Not only have I spam loaded over and over searching all over the Barents to find where the subs, but during this time I have Soviet aircraft all over the Barents as well . . . not a single sub to be found.
I addition to that, god be with you if you are sent on a mission near the GUIK line. One things these missions to teach you is how important military intelligence is in real life, because you have none on these missions (which is realistic of course, unlike the previous issue).

Alrighty then, off my soap box! Feel free to talk about all the frustrations you guys are having with the Russian campaign! Also, if anyone has any tips or tricks to playing as the Russians, well . . . it'd be criminal not to share.

The ADCAP does have a long run time, and is a pain to evade. I actually didn't make huge changes in the base Mk. 48 code though, so I will have to check against the vanilla game to see if the developers have toned down some settings for the base Mk. 48. It is intended to be a hard torpedo to beat.

I will double check the Mission Briefs vs. Mission files as well. Something may have gotten out of sync in an update. I also may need to add some more recon ability (aircraft) on the campaign map for the Russians; they don't have a lot of reconnaissance far from their home waters, which does make the longer range missions a pain...

Right now I am doing the upgrade of the 2004 Campaign for 1.09b (when year end projects for my real programming job allow) so I'll add verifying all the missions to the list of things to check.

Thanks for the input on the campaign.

LTJG Beam
LTJGBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 07:12 PM   #3
EagleBeak
Nub

Downloads: 3

Thanks for the reply!

I appreciate you taking some constructive criticism. Like I said, I LOVE your mod. In regards to ADCAPS and recon aircraft, you are welcome to make the game realistic, without worrying about difficulty. If the ADCAP actually runs for an entire hour, make it so. If the Russians only used recon aircraft over the Barents, keep it that way. That's my humble opinion that way.

In regards to the campaign map, it would be nice if there was a little QC done to ensure the briefings match the actually mission.

You are the man, BTW! Looking forward to the devs giving you the ability to do more 3D modeling.
EagleBeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 09:05 PM   #4
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Mod Update # 8: Date:06/04/2018
Resync'd for Update 1.15.
Replaced the SEAWOLF and VIRGINIA Models with the official SEAWOLF model released by Killerfish Games in 1.12.
Replaced the LOS ANGELES Flt II and LOS ANGELES Flt III models with he official models released by Killerfish Games in 1.12.
Reworked ULA and HAUK Models.
Added SEVERODVINSK (YASEN) Class to both NATO and RUSSIAN 2004 North Atlantic Campaigns.
Cleanup of general campaign files, and general 1.15 sync.

As always, let me know of any problems encountered.

Sorry for the delay. Big programming projects in RL have limited my hobby time.

LTJG Beam

Last edited by LTJGBeam; 06-04-18 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 06:05 AM   #5
jpwhitney
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 13

I'm unable to change speeds when using the Yasen class sub on version 1.15. Anyone else run into this?
jpwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 06:19 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

The russian campaign mod is only realistic if you chose attack submarines like the Akula which are designed to track and attack other submarines. If you chose 'boomers' SSGN's you will have a really hard time to stay undetected. These subs are NOT designed to attack other subs, only to reach position for launching ballistic missiles.
That's why I have personally adapted all missions for SSGN's and I have different mission setups for attack subs.

With these changes the campaign is not more difficult than the stock campaign, and you can still edit all weapon data for torpedos etc. if you find it too hard.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 08:24 AM   #7
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhitney View Post
I'm unable to change speeds when using the Yasen class sub on version 1.15. Anyone else run into this?
I will take a look at this. I will see if I can duplicate it. Thanks for the report.

LTJG Beam
Old 06-05-18, 12:19 PM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Is there still the 'blank mission screen' when starting from Murmansk or has this been fixed? It has been a long time and I didn't play the mod in 1.15 yet.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 12:49 AM   #9
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Is there still the 'blank mission screen' when starting from Murmansk or has this been fixed? It has been a long time and I didn't play the mod in 1.15 yet.
Mod has been completely sync'ed for 1.15. I haven't had any blanks screens when running the RUSSIAN 2004 Campaign. Hopefully that bug is squashed.

LTJG Beam
Old 06-06-18, 12:52 AM   #10
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhitney View Post
There was a misspelled variable in the SSGN YASEN that was causing the prop to not rotate.m That has been corrected. Let me know if you discover anything else. And thanks for the report!

Mod Update # 8a was loaded: Date: 06/05/2018

Corrected issue causing YASEN CLASS props to not rotate.

More work on the ULA model based on information from someone who served aboard the class.

LTJG Beam