Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-19, 05:52 PM   #1
Markus Witt
Navy Dude

Downloads: 309
Uploads: 0

Default UZO range finding

Can anybody tell me how the markings on the UZO work in SH5 (TWOS)? I noticed the UZO markings do not match with the periscope markings.
If you look at the attached photo's I looked at the same target using OP, AP and UZO. For both periscopes I used 6 x zoom. I did this in the ROABF mission in the Historical Mission section. This mission gives you a number of vessels with speed 0 to practise range and AOB finding.

When you use normal zoom (1.5x) on the scopes the markings will give you the angular height in mrad. (OP uses the correct scale, for AP and RAOBF the 10 mark is 100 mrad). If you zoom in (6x) with the scopes the number of markings should be devided by 4 (6 / 1.5) to get the correct mrads.

The UZO has 7x zoom. Based on this magnification you would expect you need to devide the markings by 4.666 (7 / 1.5) to get the correct mrads. But this is not the case, see attached pictures. On the OP and AP you count about 10.75 marks. With the UZO you would expect to count more marks (about 12.55) because of the higher magnification, but instead you count fewer marks than on the scopes. After some testing it seems you have to divide the markings on the UZO by about 3.87 to get the correct mrads.

Can anybody tell me why this is? Can't figure it out. Also does anybody know what markings the real UZO had?

Last edited by Markus Witt; 07-05-21 at 12:46 PM.
Markus Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 06:31 PM   #2
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324

I find the UZO is useless on patrol Seems the Boat pitches and rolls way to much. the best use of UZO IN SH5, in my opinion, is to keep your targets abreast and formulate an attack .. there is a lot of information about this in the forums

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 03:22 AM   #3
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

UZO markings are stock game game leftover which means they are, just like the stock game it self, inaccurate and useless...
Update your TWoS...

Last edited by vdr1981; 05-16-19 at 05:27 AM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 11:14 AM   #4
Markus Witt
Navy Dude

Downloads: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
UZO markings are stock game game leftover which means they are, just like the stock game it self, inaccurate and useless...
Update your TWoS...
Yeah, I figured it was a leftover. For quite some time I thought the UZO markings matched exactly with the scope markings when using 6x zoom. Only recently I noticed a slight difference and tested it.

I will update TWOS but first I have to finish my current career in v2.2.5.

Last edited by Markus Witt; 05-16-19 at 01:31 PM.
Markus Witt is offline   Reply With Quote