Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-05-13, 10:29 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Worth a shot: at least I have this in use myself and it has nuit hurt me, maybe solved my old problöem back then:

http://forums.flightsimlabs.com/inde...stop-crashing/

Replace the UIAutomationcore.dll as described there and in other fora. Some say it even halps to just delete the default one.

However, make a backup of the default one.

As I vaguely recall, the dll replacing the W7 default one, is the version they used in Vista. I should have cured many people's OOMs.
Old 01-05-13, 10:55 AM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

My probably last idea: make sure you have no essential driver running as a 32 Bit version if there is 64 Bit and your rig and OS is 64 Bit, too. FSX is a 32 Bit application, that'S why it is always limited to use not more than 4 GB, even if you have 16 GB RAM and x64. But additional RAM helps other applications in the background to move out of the way so that they do not conflict with the RAM needs of FSX. There is a faint chance that any essential driver not being up to date with the 64 Bit of your rig, may collide with FSX, like some dll's are reported to occasionally run into FSX, too.

Make sure your .NET is properly updated, too, it is reported to be an occasionally source of memory issues, too, if it isn't. The error you get must not indicate a problem with memory size, but memory adresses. I think one of the links I posted discusses that a bit.

Do not think your FSX will ever consume 14 of your 16 GB RAM. It never will, but will stop at a limit of 4 GB. When it gets pushed too much at that limit, the page file may help, and if that one fails too or is too slow - then you hit rock bottom.

So far even Prepar3D (Lockheeds further development on basis of FSX) also suffers from this basic limitation, as far as I understand it.
Old 01-05-13, 09:58 PM   #18
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Wow. Alot of information, well first off Im on another computer using internet (Im in Japan for a while on deployment)

What I can say is, yes for sure my windows is x64 bit with 100% certainty, next is Im not sure about if its the airport or not. One time it happened 5 minutes outside of cleveland, the next it happened when I was on my approach to Chicago. What was common was I was in virtual cockpit and looked around I believe pulled up my 2d GPS screen to look at my next waypoint. And when I looked back at the mycokpit, all of my glass screens and gauges were gone, completely. It was like there was a window right through them and I could see straight to the ground.

There was alot of information you just gave me so this may take some time to sort it out, but I really want too especially when I know that this shouldnt happen on my system at all. Im not even having any lag or anything before it happens just 'boop' CTD. REALLY made me mad when I was about to land at Chicago.

So first things first, you said to check to make sure I handled and installed Venetubos tweaks correctly? Am I right??

As for using REX, would using it tax my system alot more noticeabley??

Cheers,

Casey
Old 01-05-13, 10:12 PM   #19
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Oh and you mentioned FS9?? How is FS9 with Addons?? Can it look as good and perform as good as FSX?? Because if so I might try getting FS9 and playing with Traffic Addons and graphics addons if it can look almost as good but run better.
Old 01-06-13, 06:44 AM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

First, the glass panels gone and turning into windows showing the world behind. Wowh. I am not knowing enough on that (or panels turning black) as if I could help you there. I know that some people have reported such issues, and reference then goes to bad video drivers, messed up Alpha-channels and stuff like that. It seems to be a very important symptom and I urge you to describe it in the forums of www.avsim.com.

I now recall that you use a notebook, it seems a gamer notebook with a solid gfx card, but how good that card really is I do not know. Has it it's own onboard RAM, or does it take its share from the general RAM? Is the driver version for that you use, stable, or dies it give you troubles in other games, too? - The latest driver must not be the best. I am using quite an old one,l for example, for all that have come after it, gave me minor problems here and there. On the other hand, an old driver could have its hand in messing up your panels. I cannot say - go to AVSIM.

You use FSC Acceleration or FSX + SP1 + SP2, yes?

Does the save flight feature work reliably for you? Saving flight siotuation and cockpit status reliably? It works reliable for me even in a high comp0lexity plane like the 737. It could easy - slightly - the pain when you cannot complete a flight when you have a save point to go back to. For example: save points after takeoff, reaching travel altitude, before descend, before final approach - something like that.

Yes, the Venetubo website. The information you filled in should be correct, of course. You can just delete (or move) the current config of FSX, so that FSX creates a new one at next launch, and with that one you can go to Bojote'S tweaking website again, starting new. The downloadable file you get in return must be manually moved to the correct location, the website service does not do that for you.

REX - yes, lovely it is, isn't it? See the screenshot thread, I just have placed many pics there. has no effect on my frames, at least not within the 30fps-limit that I have preset externally. But before thinking about addons, your installation must get fixed. So: the important stuff first. - REX just replaces textures and does not further effect the installed FSX. It allows very high degree of randomization. Helps to get rid of some of the too cartoonish-coloured FSX default sunsets.

FS9: well, I had it on my old rig, rock-solid, never failing me. IU was extrenmely heavy with addons: weather replacement, online weather downloads every ten minutes, the most complex airliners available, airport sceneries, global mesh replacement, global texture replacement, european and Northamerican replacement fortraffic grid, towns, terrain types and coastlines, and AI traffic, globally. Everything maxed out. And stable. - Did the same, exactly the same installation on my current rig - and ran into OOM errors. Lowered the slider settings, switched of traffic and so on: reduced the frequency of traffic, eased the grapohic settings and so on. But real reliability I did not regain. I then migrated to FSX becasue of the PMDG737, it is not available for FS9.

If you are really interested in civilian flight simming, FS9 could be an alternative, and a very good one. Yoiu can probbaly get many addons used, for very cheap prices (that's what I did when moving from FS8 to FS9, saved me 60% of the total costs). There are good sceneries, and many, as well as good weather tools, and good addon planes. Plus the iFly 737, PMDG 747, which both are second only to the PMDG737NGX for FSX. - But first try to get advise from the forums at Avsim, especially on the glasscockpit'S failure. It mujst be possible to get FSX running on your rig. I assume that something just gets overlooked so far.

You know that there is another simulator out, yes? X-Plane? They say it is good, in some parts superior in others inferior to FSX. And programmed in latest technology. But I do not know it, I cannot help you with that one. -> Youtube. -> flightsim websites.

Get the manuals I set up, please, if you are interested. I want to shut down those links.
Old 01-06-13, 06:47 AM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Oh and you mentioned FS9?? How is FS9 with Addons?? Can it look as good and perform as good as FSX?? Because if so I might try getting FS9 and playing with Traffic Addons and graphics addons if it can look almost as good but run better.
It can be made looking much better than default, and look almost as good as FSX, but not completely (of course). If a stable installation can be acchieved. On my old rig, it was. On my new one: it was not. If you want a traffic-heavy environment, it might be an alternative.

But on the other hand, FSX has traffic tools as well, and people can run them if they have the specs.

Let'S try to fix your rig first. Ask the guys at Avsim.

P.S. And give them your notebook'S specs and ask them what to expect from that hardware in FSX.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-06-13 at 06:57 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 07:17 AM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Thinking on your glass panel issue, you could try in the gfx driver to switch all options to very conservative settings, or switching them off. You could reach that by right-click on the desktop, then -> nVidia System -> 3D settings -> Tab program setting -> FSX. Leave Antialias and Ansitropic Filter to - application controlled", but tone down the other options or leave the to "general". Make sure the nVidia power-setting for the gfx is for "maximum performance", its in the same menu, and switch off multiple monitors.
Old 01-06-13, 10:44 PM   #23
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Thinking on your glass panel issue, you could try in the gfx driver to switch all options to very conservative settings, or switching them off. You could reach that by right-click on the desktop, then -> nVidia System -> 3D settings -> Tab program setting -> FSX. Leave Antialias and Ansitropic Filter to - application controlled", but tone down the other options or leave the to "general". Make sure the nVidia power-setting for the gfx is for "maximum performance", its in the same menu, and switch off multiple monitors.

Well the thing is it has only happened once or twice. I have come to the conclusion today that the OOM errors do not occure at a specific time, or weather pattern as well. Yesterday I flew a 30 minute flight in a 737, and today I flew an hour and a half flight around Honolulu in a Cessna. Go ahead and take those links down, I cannot use them really from these computers as it is, once I get my personal internet set up in the next few weeks, if you could post them up again and I can thumb through them.

I think my case just seems to be like as you said, some times, FSX decides to play nice, and others, not so nice.

I wanted more traffic so I increased ground traffic to 10% and Airline traffic to 43% and landed in LAX without frame issues at all. Then I did that flight to Chicago, and OOM (With the glass panel issue) 10 mins after takeoff from Cleveland Intl and then on my approach the second time to Chicago. A third time I took off from Chi Ohare (the previous airport I tried to land at the last few times) and flew to KIND without a hitch using the same weather conditions. So for now I feel like it just likes to be finnicky.

My Graphics Card has its own onboard 2GB dedicated memory. Its an Nvidia 660m.

The only other game I have problems with is SH5 and the problem is that Sobers see through wake fix makes my wakes dark black at night which shouldnt happen, and I get banding in the sky at night. Some have mentioned a driver being responsible, and I have yet to switch to the newest Nvidia 660M driver that came out, I meant to but havent yet. I think I may try it out and then if nothing changes or it gets worse roll back.

I am also only runing FSX Im not sure which SP but I want to get Acceleration, is it worth it??

And about X plane, is its performance on computers more taxing, less, or comparable?
---------------------

Now an FSX question and story.

So on my long 1.5 hour flight today I got the chance to REALLY play around with the GPS and the systems of the Cessna (Small one) and gotta say I finally figured out the working of the GPS. I was able to find my airports, their elevations, and the runways and even set it to certain approach vectors.

Now my question is this, one runway in Honolulu is 4r and 4l and then at the other end its 22r and 22l. So if they direct me to come in on runway 22R does that mean they are having me land from THAT end of the runway? ( I was using VFR rules so I wasnt given a bearing to switch to) Next is what are the keys to see your FPS again? And the keys to do sim speed?

Skybird, I know this is alot but I thank you for all of your kindness and help, you are really helping me through this step by step which I appreciate. I have certainly learned alot about flying and am getting better and better every day (No overspeeds anymore And my landings are getting smoother) Thank you sincerely sir
Old 01-07-13, 03:21 AM   #24
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Runway designation is always the direction of travel - 22 is 220 degrees (plus/minus 5) - whether landing or taking off. That is the direction you should be flying on approach.

Key for seeing info is Shft+Z, scrolls through two sets of info and on the third press displays both lines.

Edit - just re-read, by sim speed I'm now guessing you mean time compression?
Old 01-07-13, 03:25 AM   #25
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Runway designation is always the direction of travel - 22 is 220 degrees (plus/minus 5) - whether landing or taking off. That is the direction you should be flying on approach.

Key for seeing info is Shft+Z, scrolls through two sets of info and on the third press displays both lines.

Edit - just re-read, by sim speed I'm now guessing you mean time compression?
That would be correct.

Oh and by the way, I forgot to add a thanks to you as well You have been quite the help Herr!
Old 01-07-13, 05:16 AM   #26
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post

Oh dear.

I've been playing flight simulators since Microsoft Flight Simulator 98, and I didn't know that runways are designated that way.

Even when lining up on the runway and setting the heading to runway heading, I never figured it out.

Thanks H-B, I've learned something new today.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 08:19 AM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Well the thing is it has only happened once or twice. I have come to the conclusion today that the OOM errors do not occure at a specific time, or weather pattern as well. Yesterday I flew a 30 minute flight in a 737, and today I flew an hour and a half flight around Honolulu in a Cessna.
Well, that leads me to assuming - as a relative tech novice - that it is something with the memory allocation, in other words: something in the system. But it could also be that when some function or dll inside FSX gets called up, it breaks, when it is a bad dll, or gauge. HJowever, you have not installed any suspicious addon stuff, and I assume you have not changed Windows dll's for other purposes that FSX is using, too. - So - I am not really able to help there, you must find a tech guru and/or ask at a forum where more knowing guys can analyse it.

Quote:
Go ahead and take those links down, I cannot use them really from these computers as it is, once I get my personal internet set up in the next few weeks, if you could post them up again and I can thumb through them.
Will do that. Just ask.

Quote:
I think my case just seems to be like as you said, some times, FSX decides to play nice, and others, not so nice.
While FSX is not coded well, they say, it must be possible to get it into a stable condition nevertheless, considering that you use no addon stuff so far. Symptoms lie this do not show ob without being caused by something. There must be a cause, or several ones.

Quote:
My Graphics Card has its own onboard 2GB dedicated memory. Its an Nvidia 660m.
That should keep you free from any Vid memory allocation problems. Sometimes OOM do not hint at short memory problems at all, but adress problems, that'S why I asked (in principle there still is enough meory space, but the heaps in which it is divided are all smaller than the blocks the software is writing, so while in total there is enough space, the applications runs out of sufficient slots in sufficient sizes to park its stuff in.

Quote:
The only other game I have problems with is SH5 and the problem is that Sobers see through wake fix makes my wakes dark black at night which shouldnt happen, and I get banding in the sky at night. Some have mentioned a driver being responsible, and I have yet to switch to the newest Nvidia 660M driver that came out, I meant to but havent yet. I think I may try it out and then if nothing changes or it gets worse roll back.
Sounds like driver issue indeed. But try several drivers, if the first one does not work. In the past I have tried up to 4 versions when getting a new gfx board before I found a version that worked for all my installed stuff.

Quote:
I am also only runing FSX Im not sure which SP but I want to get Acceleration, is it worth it??
What...??? No SP? Hell, then I do not wonder anymore. That is a no-go, and I see very good chances that your problems will go ionce oyu have installed SP1 and SP2, or get the Acceleration edition (FSX Gold). Those patches added many tehcnical bug fixings, and many if not all addons depend on them being installed.

So: first thing you do is get out there and bring your FSX to the Acceleration standard!

50% + chance that doing so will cure your issues.

Quote:
And about X plane, is its performance on computers more taxing, less, or comparable?
I think it is or is planned to become soon multicore optimised, which FSX is not. That is all I can tell you about it, I do not have it.

I posted a video somewhere down in the forum, for "Polish flyers", so was the title I think. Find that thread and watch the video, it is heavily modded XPlane and some of the modded stuff was made for private use only - , but shows you what is possible with it. Great potential. And ongoing technical developement.

Now an FSX question and story.

So on my long 1.5 hour flight today I got the chance to REALLY play around with the GPS and the systems of the Cessna (Small one) and gotta say I finally figured out the working of the GPS. I was able to find my airports, their elevations, and the runways and even set it to certain approach vectors.

Quote:
Now my question is this, one runway in Honolulu is 4r and 4l and then at the other end its 22r and 22l. So if they direct me to come in on runway 22R does that mean they are having me land from THAT end of the runway? ( I was using VFR rules so I wasnt given a bearing to switch to) Next is what are the keys to see your FPS again? And the keys to do sim speed?
Has been answered by others, I just add this: when you do a full ILS landing, which you probably are tempted to do, be aware that ILS on RW 22w for example does not necessarily mean landing course indeed 220°. It could be anything between 216 to 224. If you set your ILS course to 220, the plane could get steered seriously off the runway, starting with some suicidal last second steep banks to intercept the lost localiser again, and that is a recipe for disaster. The correct course you do not get via radio, but only via maps - printed ones, or the map function in the sim. Check that before you launch. Every flight - needs preparation and planning ahead. The paperwork, that is.

Using the time acceleration in FSX is not recommended. Especially with the more complicated planes (addons) can get seriously out of tact when using it. When you use a real FMC module like the default planes do not have it, most simmers consider time warps to be a big No-no.

If you still want to do it, use it only when on travel altitude and in totally stabilised flight attitude, and stop using it before T/D. There is a menu under "options", I think, for setting up steering and control, where there is a list with all keyboard commands in use. You can reassign them also. You may want to tone down your joystick sensitivity maybe, while you are there. Use a dead zone and a sensitivity of around one third, that should be working well in most situations. Note that the default planes, especially the small ones, are incredibly hysteric grasshoppers. They are not realistic at all. One would risk one's life if boarding a real airplane with flight dynamics like those.

Quote:
Skybird, I know this is alot but I thank you for all of your kindness and help, you are really helping me through this step by step which I appreciate.
Thanks, but so far I am only showing good will, but no real help - I was unable to give you the advise that helps you to solve your issues. I hope that updating your FSX does the trick. Then we can talk addons. Better GPS modules, for example. The nice thing about FSX is that although it is a simplified toy, it is strictly modular in structure, and all and everything can be removed and replaced with something better, turning a toy into a sim. Some aircraft addons rip all the core out of it and place a completely new simulation into FSX superficial framework. And then it is when this title really starts to shine.

Quote:
I have certainly learned alot about flying and am getting better and better every day (No overspeeds anymore And my landings are getting smoother) Thank you sincerely sir
Üben, üben, üben! I hope the FSX update solves your issues, then we can talk the real fun stuff.

P.S. I see that Amazon.com has the Acceleration pack for 21 dollars, and the FSX Gold inclduing all stuff and the defualt version for 27 dollars. Should be possible to get both for less. Acceleration includes Service Packs 1 and 2, and adds additional mission stuff and some planes, I think. Over here I have seen Acceleration pack for around 15 bucks at times.

Could be that you need to retweak the fsx.cfg once Acceleration or Service Packs 1+2 have been installed. I would even consider a complete new installation of FSX alltogether, just to be sure. Don't forget registry cleaning, defrag!
Old 01-07-13, 01:59 PM   #28
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
then we can talk the real fun stuff.
Like landing Accusim Mustangs in IMC on a short field?

That puts hair on your chest.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 03:28 PM   #29
Skybird
Soaring

I more thought about how to calculate the crosswind component for each flight section and what effect it has on your general fuel calculation.
Old 01-08-13, 04:11 PM   #30
Skybird
Soaring

@Casey,

you see you're not alone, in case SP2 does not solve your problems:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/396263-...ntly-unstable/

Not really comforting, but still...

Two alternmatives. X-Plane I just mentioned, but be advised that there are some major differences between it and FSX.

The other option is to try the student'S licence of Lockheed's Prepar3D . They bought the rights for FSX and have started to push further developement on basis of the FSX core code, that's why it looks almost identical to FSX, it also is compatible with FSX addons, at leats most of them, and new FSX addons are made to be compatible for sure, since word has made the round that many people use Prepar3D as a replacement for FSX. I just have not been able to secure solid info on to what degree they indeed improved the code over the original FSX code. Lockheed does a very inferior job in that regard, but then, their market is a very different one, a bit like with Steel Beasts: private home users are not their main interest with Prepar3D.

I myself would be willing to give Pepar3D a chance if I would get solid confirmation that they have turned it into a truly multi-core-optimized platform. My beloved 737NGX also is compatible with it, like almost all addons for FSX.

The scope of Prepar3D goes beyond that of FSX and its flight simming aspect. Lockheed'S commercial video - but I cannot tell you whether the shown content is part of the package for the public, I do not know. :

Homepage
http://www.prepar3d.com/

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_Prepar3D

Comparing videos for both: