SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-17, 11:47 PM   #271
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

Mechac! & Leongt! Seems like we missed your first two posts; forgive our manners-the third time's the charm!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 08:29 PM   #272
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

Still playing.
Got SH3 and SH4 on my disk.
I got the SH4 limited edition in metal box + the Uboat addon
Gilbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 12:14 PM   #273
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

I'm still playing...in both Pacific and Atlantic Theaters. Two separate installations using Multi SH4, one for TMO and one for OpMonsun.

I just can't get into SH5 and all the work it takes to un-bug it and get Wolves of Steel installed and working...maybe I'll try again some day.

Plus, I had a total failure of both of my SH3 installations about a month ago and can't get things fixed and running again. Long story...power outage in the middle of a LSH3 2015 patrol...restarted the game after power was restored and SH3 Commander says it can't start because another SH3 is running...what?!?!? So, tried to start GWX, from a separate SH3 CDR, and got the same result. Something fishy going on here.

After multiple attempts, uninstalled everything related to SH3, cleaned the register (using two separate registry cleaner tools), cleaned the "free space" (also two different tools) and defragged the HDD (another two different tools). Shut down the computer, restarted, reinstalled SH3, started it directly w/o any MODs...all OK. But, to be safe, deleted the new SH3 folder in the Documents folder and shut down/restarted the computer.

Then made two copies, installed LSH3 in one and GWX in the other and reinstalled separate SH3 CDR for GWX. Tried to start LSH3...SH3 CDR can't start because "another SH3.exe is running". WTF? Can't be true!!...but I give up after one more unsuccessful attempt to completely uninstall and reinstall, etc. etc.

Anyway, happy to have SH4 and both packages for a USN Pacific campaign and a U-Boat Battle of the Atlantic campaign. Lots of good MODs for both and have been doing some of my own tweaks and fixes. May not have the better graphics and eye candy of SH5 or the dynamic campaigns and "real world" enhancements of the SH3 mega-MODs. But it's good enough to be entertaining and always fun on a rainy day or a sleepless night.

To be sure though, the best part, for any/all of the Silent Hunter series, is the Subsim community itself. By far the best group of people on the internet.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 02:11 PM   #274
Garrish
Flying Fish

Downloads: 104

I'm still playing, I love the game. I put it down for periods of time but something keeps drawing me back. It's just one of those games that never actually seems to become outdated I guess. There are a lot of games that you play them, they age, become irrelevant, or you beat the game or whatever, but this one is always there, waiting to be played some more. I guess if you like subs you like subs and there is nothing to destroy the ability to jump in and play some more, then it's likely that you'll come back to it since it a lot about strategy with some minor role playing that revolves around actual history in SH4.

I enjoy SH5 Wolves of Steel as well, as I've noticed that others have mentioned it, but I get a bit of crashes. Playing SH4, I don't have to deal with the moral system and leveling crew to make my boat magically better. In SH4 loss of crew and injury do reduce efficiency but I like the fact that I feel more like a captain with a full crew instead of just a few low moral officers and guys in their bunks. Another big factor for me is the ability to use the deck gun when you want to instead of just glass calm waters. I also enjoy handing out medals at the end of a mission.

Last edited by Garrish; 04-29-17 at 04:19 PM.
Garrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 07:18 AM   #275
Edgar Gold
Swabbie

Downloads: 18
Default Still playing

SH4 returning player. Love SH4 and this community. Some really awesome mods + information.

Am thinking about picking up SH5 this week just having a blast atm with SH4.
Edgar Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 09:26 AM   #276
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

SH5 can be a lot of fun too. Just be sure and read up on all the pitfalls involved before you attempt to apply mods. THEBERBSTER especially can be helpful over there, so follow the links in his signature:

SH5 <> TUTORIALS <>HOW TO DO IT <> INFORMATION <> DOWNLOAD LINKS

...which is very similar to his SH4 link. That definitely got me going in the right direction with it. Nothing can help a player get up and down the ladders in the game though, which is still a major frustration for me...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-17, 08:25 AM   #277
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Icon7 Back on board

After an extended shore leave and some hardware issues playing SH4. I am back on board.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-17, 09:35 AM   #278
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

Front Runner!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 01:54 AM   #279
Able72
Captain

Downloads: 299

Currently playing SH4 and loving it. I really like playing in a US sub in the Pacific theater. Currently running a lot of mods. TMO with RSRD and OTC, plus a bunch more for some minor tweaks.
I really like the full crew availability over the very small crew you have in SH5. Although the eye candy and such is better in SH5, all in all that version of SH is nigh unplayable by itself. Its only with TWOS that it becomes even remotely playable as a game. They have done a great job with it.
I may go ahead and load up SH3 again with GWX to fight in the Atlantic Theater. SH Commander just adds so much. It's unbelievable the amount of depth that little program adds to the career mode.
Old 05-07-17, 12:14 PM   #280
harlikwin
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

Well, I just got it running again, so I guess I am...

What are the good mods these days?
harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 11:56 AM   #281
Vatis1982
Seaman

Downloads: 27

Me. After 10 years of retirement i decided to downloaded it from steam and with U-boats missions. I feel young again.
I had the original version (dvd)
Vatis1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-18, 12:48 AM   #282
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default Still playing SH4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avers View Post
Hey guys, just a question out of curiosity how many of u guys are still playing sh4 and what mods are u using (if your using mods) and what r u guys up to in your careers? Follow up question, for those of u who don't play sh4, why did u stop playing?
I play it straight out of the box. no mods no add ins. I have played many other subsums and keep coming back to this one for its realism.\

It's frustrating trying to pick up fliers though as I get very close to them only to see the current pull them away!

l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 08:21 PM   #283
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Just cranked up my OOB SH4 up again after about a year off and watching the Smithsonian Channel's "Hell Below" series. A bit of a relearning curve, but am really enjoying it!!

O/T, but I do not recall the keyboard shortcut for recentering the display on the sub's current position... IIRC there was one, but have been unable to recall it. TIA!

jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 06:42 AM   #284
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
O/T, but I do not recall the keyboard shortcut for recentering the display on the sub's current position... IIRC there was one, but have been unable to recall it. TIA!
ctrl + left click
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-18, 02:44 PM   #285
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Many thanks!!
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote