SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-11-13, 04:27 AM   #1141
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I think what's missing in this thread is a little common courtesy and understanding.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-14, 12:13 PM   #1142
zuho3000111
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 211
Uploads: 0

When this will be ready?
zuho3000111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-14, 04:32 PM   #1143
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuho3000111 View Post
When this will be ready?
I think that work has stopped on this mod. Fair enough, if they lost interest, I have no problems with that.

If you want a Japanese career mod, I'm currently working on one
Old 02-25-14, 05:34 PM   #1144
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Inactivity does not mean work has stopped. Peabody has demands on his time that are important and we respect that. I am in support of this fine mod and its work and have faith in time there will be a release. Any other mods or work is also welcome, the Japanese side if the war is very very mis represented in most main stream history and much in need of representation and I welcome any more that can happen.
Old 05-12-14, 04:50 PM   #1145
Alfamemnon
Watch

Downloads: 15

Hopefully, either Cybermat47 or the makers of the mod that is discussed in this thread, actually FINISH their work. I am sure it would be an interesting and refreshing experience to play SH4 as Japanese. Dont give up, guys!
Alfamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 07:35 PM   #1146
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamemnon View Post
Hopefully, either Cybermat47 or the makers of the mod that is discussed in this thread, actually FINISH their work. I am sure it would be an interesting and refreshing experience to play SH4 as Japanese. Dont give up, guys!
I ran into some serious difficulty with mine, but I'll try to get it back on track
Old 05-13-14, 09:49 PM   #1147
Alfamemnon
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
I ran into some serious difficulty with mine, but I'll try to get it back on track
Hopefully, you will succeed.

If at all possible, try to make it start not from December 1941 but from Second Sino-Japanese War. Operating against the relatively petty Chinese navy from Formosa or Kyūshū would nicely serve as a practical tutorial into how Japanese submarines and their equipment works....as well as give you so much experience you would not have to later face the formidable western Allies as a total wet eared rookie.

I would also love it if the Japanese campaign ended like this: the captain, who is extremely proud due to his Japanese samurai mentality, would refuse to face the humiliation of surrendering to Americans but he would decide against seppuku either upon learning of Hiroshima's and Nagasaki's destruction and Japans surrender. Therefore, he would give himself his very final mission: To sail to Peron's Argentina (this all should occur whenever at the very end of the war, the script calculates you still have enough fuel to make it to Argentina by going ten knots all the time while navigating the shortest possible route). Once there, he would sail his ship to Perons Argentina where he would, to his surprise, meet other IJN and Kriegsmarine personnel who refused to surrender and make it clear they intend to go to an extremely secret Axis base. However the game would end there, not letting the Japanese captain and his crew sail to their new home in Antarctica.

(Even in real life, I remember seeing weird documents that indicated Argentinian Navy spotted submarines that looked like Elektroboots near Argentinian coasts as late as 1960's. However, nobody was seen in the conning tower of the XXI while it was surfaced. One of them leaked oil into ocean and examination confirmed it was of the same composition Nazi-Germany used. However, I dont believe anyone will have any chance of running into Axis vessels in the oceans anymore. The very youngest, who ever enlisted into Kriegsmarine or IJN, would be in their late eighties by today).
Old 05-14-14, 08:14 AM   #1148
Dread Knot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 84

Quote:
Once there, he would sail his ship to Perons Argentina where he would, to his surprise, meet other IJN and Kriegsmarine personnel who refused to surrender and make it clear they intend to go to an extremely secret Axis base. However the game would end there, not letting the Japanese captain and his crew sail to their new home in Antarctica.

I know it's off topic, but I've never understood the persistence of this fantasy of a secret Axis base lingering on somewhere in the Antarctic. Maybe it has it's origins in the brief German expedition to Queen Maud Land in 1938. An expedition concerned mainly with establishing a whaling base, and which never spent more than a day on the ice shelf. But then, polar myth-making has gone on for centuries. The Greeks and medieval Europeans imagined Thule, a land off the northern edge of the map. Off the top of my head, I can think of Dr. Frankenstein pursuing his monster to the Arctic, Edgar Allan Poe's Gordon Pym, Superman's Arctic fortress of solitude, and the secret alien Antarctic bases in the X-Files movie and Alien vs Predator. The list is as long as the polar winters.

Perhaps it's because the empty ice becomes a convenient stage on which to project lurid imaginings or wishes. If you can imagine Amundsen's expedition eating their huskies at 40 degrees below, it's not such a stretch to picture Adolf, Dr. Mengele and Eva chipping ice from the walls of their lair to chill their gin and tonics. I suppose such extreme regions are a particularly good spot to hatch a conspiracy theory. Until recently, the people that went there had a habit of not coming back. And when they did, they told stories of unimaginable cold and wind, freezing deserts, strange creatures and mind-boggling hardship.

Many of the world's pollutants concentrate in the polar regions, carried there by wind and ocean currents. For some reason something similar seems to happen with our fantasies.
Dread Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 07:41 PM   #1149
Alfamemnon
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Knot View Post
I know it's off topic, but I've never understood the persistence of this fantasy of a secret Axis base lingering on somewhere in the Antarctic. Maybe it has it's origins in the brief German expedition to Queen Maud Land in 1938. An expedition concerned mainly with establishing a whaling base, and which never spent more than a day on the ice shelf. But then, polar myth-making has gone on for centuries. The Greeks and medieval Europeans imagined Thule, a land off the northern edge of the map. Off the top of my head, I can think of Dr. Frankenstein pursuing his monster to the Arctic, Edgar Allan Poe's Gordon Pym, Superman's Arctic fortress of solitude, and the secret alien Antarctic bases in the X-Files movie and Alien vs Predator. The list is as long as the polar winters.

Perhaps it's because the empty ice becomes a convenient stage on which to project lurid imaginings or wishes. If you can imagine Amundsen's expedition eating their huskies at 40 degrees below, it's not such a stretch to picture Adolf, Dr. Mengele and Eva chipping ice from the walls of their lair to chill their gin and tonics. I suppose such extreme regions are a particularly good spot to hatch a conspiracy theory. Until recently, the people that went there had a habit of not coming back. And when they did, they told stories of unimaginable cold and wind, freezing deserts, strange creatures and mind-boggling hardship.

Many of the world's pollutants concentrate in the polar regions, carried there by wind and ocean currents. For some reason something similar seems to happen with our fantasies.
On a second thought...maybe it is not such a good idea after all to be implemented in this campaign. I was just thinking of adding some flavor to the storyline. I would otherwise have dismissed that legend about secret Axis base in Antarctica as just another untrue rumor but I was wondering where the heck did those submarines that appeared like Elektroboots (Type XXI uboats) come from that Argentine Navy spotted so long time after WWII that you would think they ran out of fuel and food tens of times without a harbor visit. That fact made me stop for a moment to think maybe there is some kind of a seed of truth to that legend.
Old 05-28-14, 08:07 PM   #1150
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
On a second thought...maybe it is not such a good idea after all to be implemented in this campaign. I was just thinking of adding some flavor to the storyline. I would otherwise have dismissed that legend about secret Axis base in Antarctica as just another untrue rumor but I was wondering where the heck did those submarines that appeared like Elektroboots (Type XXI uboats) come from that Argentine Navy spotted so long time after WWII that you would think they ran out of fuel and food tens of times without a harbor visit. That fact made me stop for a moment to think maybe there is some kind of a seed of truth to that legend.
It could've been a Russian sub. Pretty much all of Russia's diesel subs look like Type XXI's.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-14, 08:27 PM   #1151
TheGreatElector
Torpedoman

Downloads: 1218
Uploads: 117

Aww such a good looking mod, but sadly they never finished it.
TheGreatElector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 12:48 PM   #1152
moha14881
Loader

Downloads: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarck1011 View Post
Aww such a good looking mod, but sadly they never finished it.
No way!!! You mean no Japanese campaign just the u-boatmissions in Japanese sub!!!!
moha14881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 08:08 AM   #1153
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

It is uncertain what the future is, the majority of the work has ended up in Peabody's directional area, and he is busy with real life concerns. Certainly there is always a chance this can be completed...there are limitations on what the SH IV coding will allow that limit the kind of missions that can be created.

A number of decent Japanese submarines were created and operational and can be found in a stand alone mod. It is not easy to make new ships that work in all ways.

One finally note i was reading thru the past posts and a discussion came up about how many US destroyers were sunk by typhoons in the Pacific, a good many went down in a major storm with all hands so to them being top heavy and without sufficient fuel..due to mistakes by the Admiral in charge of the fleet in question. It was a tragedy that was not much publicized just wanted to add that note to the record here.

As for the IJN campaign, we can hope and keep faith in the possibilty. And if not this one someone else may take up the challenge for the story of the IJN side has never been fully told, and still to this day there is negativity and misbelieve in their achievements in the naval community.

I hope someday this can be addressed fully and a sim campaign would be a fine way to help do this. I work in several ways in modern Japan and am aware of much information that has not been widely known over here, and someday maybe it will be if there is some trust develop from over there that it will be respected.
Old 07-03-15, 01:42 PM   #1154
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755

They didnt achieve much considering they only sank 184 ships for just under a million tons. Of course thats not the crews fault. The powers that be didnt employ them properly.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-16, 11:46 AM   #1155
Ujinobu
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 84

Halted?
Ujinobu is offline   Reply With Quote