SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-09, 06:10 PM   #31
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood View Post
I didn't call for a PK in a U-Boat... Where do you get this stuff?

I just think it's silly that we can't control all of the PK inputs from the attack map. SH4 is stuck with a poor implementation of the GUI for the US fleetboat.

The shame of it is that all they gotta do is stick the PK input dongle-thingy on the attack map.
(actually the PK is already there and viewable, just can't adjust the inputs you need to)

Three simple input textboxes would be a godsend in this game... regardless of which navy you prefer.
True. By the way, here's a nice link with the Japanese TDC... . No wonder they simplified the TDC so much in the game.
http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/prima...ort%20O-32.pdf
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 08:23 PM   #32
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
True. By the way, here's a nice link with the Japanese TDC... . No wonder they simplified the TDC so much in the game.
http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/prima...ort%20O-32.pdf
Kind of a neat document, haven't seen that before.

Just looks like the basic schematics for how it works... Probably no more or less difficult to operate than what we're using in the game.
Old 07-28-09, 08:34 PM   #33
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Cool find! And keep in mind that it was much simpler than the TDC on a US boat and probably slightly simpler than a German TDC. Both could use more accurate modeling in future games.

Aaronblood, I understand now that you just used terminology carelessly rather than making an explicit call for a position keeper, which is a clock driven device automatically updating angle on the bow and range parameters over time assuming that target course and speed remain constant. That was a piece of equipment not present in German or Japanese boats. You meant TDC inputs or equivalent German nomenclature.

I don't have any problem with which screen inputs are in as long as they remain authentic. I don't find notepads to be authentic TDC input devices. I think we all agree that PC rendering of the TDCs of all countries is an area where future subsims have plenty of room for improvement.

I'd love to see the device the OLC GUI replicates included in the U-Boat. I'd love to see stadimeter plots and bearing difference plots included in fleet boat targeting too.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 08:39 PM   #34
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood View Post
For the Uboats in SH4 I do the same thing I did in SH3... totally ignore the notepad.

I set the TDC inputs using the TDC dials on the attack map. A feature that is noticeably absent from the attack map for the US fleetboats!

The real question is...

Why are there no adjustable position keeper dials available on the attack map for the US boats???

How could I have been any more or less careless in wording in this post from 8 months ago?
Old 08-01-09, 04:53 AM   #35
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

Boy, RR, it's tough discussing something with someone who can't/won't read what has been written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
The freedom of information in an open society as opposed to restriction of information of a closed society is part and parcel of what earns the societies their designations. The axis societies were much tighter controlled than western ones. We had American companies doing business with Germany until the day war was declared by Hitler!

With Japan, the problem was not only one of a more guarded society but an extreme culture difference which made it next to impossible to imbed spies or to have Americans in trusted positions during peacetime. They had hundreds of merchant ships of which we had no knowledge at all. Yes, they did purchase some of them from European countries and some of those dimensions would have been known. But masthead heights, funnel arrangements and heights, and cabin configurations were easily and frequently altered.
well, this still seems to be your opinion drawn on imagination, rather than anything supported by evidence. Neither Germany nor Japan were particularly closed in the years preceding the war, in the way that, say, the USSR was during the cold war. There were wartime exigencies, of course, which applied equally to the allies. Much of Japan's shipping had been built over a span of decades, long before wartime tensions came into play, and the point that US companies were involved in important deals with Nazi Germany until quite late demonstrates rather the opposite of what you hoped to say.

Finally, the allies could also indulge in disguising ships characteristics, and i repeat my point that, like the Americans, the Germans also rarely had exact information regarding merchant ships.

Quote:

I'll bet the Americans sneered when they encountered the multisyllabular unpronounceable gizmo I have called the OLC GUI device in U-505. Of course they failed to recognize the sheer ingenuity of the process! The Americans had radar, which made all such primitive nonsense obsolete. Except that both the Germans and Americans had salt water, which has unfortunate effects on electrical technology.
i repeat myself again. The US periscopes also had an AOB finder device that was exactly analogous to the German ones. I also repeat that both Germans and Americans preferred to judge AOB by eye. So it is unlikely that they would have been particularly impressed by the ingenuity. Most likely the Americans adopted it as a design feature after one of the u-boats visited the US in the years after ww1.

Regarding radar: Obviously the allies had better radar and were always one step ahead, but it was also a generational change. The U-boat war was ending as the US submarine war was starting. Noone had effective radar until 43 - both did at the end. You use the technology you have at the time.

Quote:

But the ones evaluating U-505 were desk jockeys, dealing with theory of devices used in best-case conditions. Technology is an addictive drug which sometimes blinds us to its limitations. If anyone not a desk jockey was evaluating the German targeting device, I'll bet they sneered only until the next time their radar failed at a critical moment!
Is any of this true, actually? Or relevant? Please demonstrate how

Quote:

You also have to keep in mind that the American military system punished risk-taking and enforced adherence to protocol, while the German military emphasized front line initiative, giving commanders in the field much more latitude to make decisions. On land, the result was that one German unit was equivalent in combat effectiveness to approximately 3 American similar units. They were simply much more flexible and unpredictable than we were.
on land maybe, but US submarine units had a high degree of autonomy and personal initiative, and i don't see the relevance anyway.
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote