SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-08, 11:07 AM   #31
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1
When I uninstalled the original game, updated to 1.4, I used the game's uninstall option ... not the basic Windows "Add or Remove" in Control Panel. During the process, the hot key in the uninstall section of the registry was also deleted.

I then installed the Gold version. Oddly enough, when I tried multiplayer, the log-on screen still reflected the key code from my original game. Ergo, somewhere, somehow, the old game left its mark. I suspect that, if it left one mark, it might have left other remnants of itself ... maybe even a bit of copy protection.

Other game options are borked. Against my better judgement, I'm now forced to use a registry cleaner in hopes of recovering those options. But, before you do the same, I'd suggest testing your DVD on a different computer.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 12:33 PM   #32
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default split screen, etc.

I followed the original post re reinstalling. It worked fine.

Also, you may want to type "prefetch" in the run dialogue box and hit the run button. Mark all of files that appear with Control A. Then delete them. I was told by an expert that the prefetch folder contains bits and pieces from old files that can slow down a computer.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 09-25-08 at 01:23 PM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 05:12 PM   #33
Rcsubs
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Default SH4 reinstall problems

I have done everything that I can think of to get my game reinstalled, still no go. I also removed all entries made by gameshadow and after removing most of gameshadow I was able to access the game disk one time and I tried to install the game, the installation failed, since that install attempt I have been unable to access the disk. I just ran prefetch and found 1 entry referring to sh4 and I deleted it, I did not find any entries about gameshadow, of course any entry about that program would most likely be all numbers or some off the wall entry so it can not be reconized at first glance. I am certain that my problem is gameshadow, a program that I do not even use, I have found all updates to my games on this forum or some other forum, so gameshadow just takes up space on my computer, space that could be used for something else.
I am still working on my problem, I have also edited my registry, deleted my temp file contents, defragged my hard drives, cleaned out ie cash and so on, nothing has help to fix the problem. My cd/dvd drive works fine because I can access all my other game disk, but I updated the drivers any way..... I am sure that I have missed some entries for gameshadow some where...
Any suggestions?

Darrell
Rcsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 07:23 PM   #34
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default installing issues

I am out of suggestions. I consider myself fortunate with my reinstall.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 09:48 PM   #35
Rcsubs
Seaman

Default still having troubles with reinstall

Well I have been exchanging emails with UBISOFT and in the last email from ubisoft, the tech told me the problem was with installshield and I needed to contact them for help, then he went on to tell me that they always testing the lattest installshield software because they want only the best for their customers. Pass the buck!!

I thought that installshield was part of the game software being installed from the game disk and if they are always testing the latest installshield software, why couldn't he help me? When you go to installshield website they ask what version your having trouble with. I don't know what version is on my computer, the only time I even see installshield is during the time it takes to install new software. Does windows have their own version they use to install windows??

Darrell
Old 09-25-08, 10:57 PM   #36
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

You should be able explore your install DVD (rclick on the SH4 DVD icon under My Computer and choose Explore...) then right click on the setup.exe file icon on your DVD and choose Properties. For my copy of SHIV Gold the version of InstallShield is 8.2.160.0 from 2003, oddly enough the same version that was used for SHIII.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 11:54 PM   #37
Rcsubs
Seaman

Default sh4 installshield

One of the problems that I have is I am unable to read the disk, my sh4 disk is the only disk that I can not access. It seems that after I have cleaned my internet casha, temp windows file and cleaned my registry I can access the disk, then when I try to install the game I get an error which seems to point to the installshield.

By the way what is the gold edition? The sh4 game that I purchased came with a bonus material dvd, information on the real fleet subs.

I ran a search for the version number that you posted in your response, you might check that out yourself, it seems that a few people have had problems with software not installing with that version.

Darrell
Old 09-26-08, 12:15 AM   #38
Hunter
Commander

Downloads: 166

Quote:
One of the problems that I have is I am unable to read the disk
I had the same problem and solved in two ways. First, I made a reserve copy of instalation CD to DVD-R at computer that didn't hasd SH4 instaled and and it worked OK. After I have bought new DVD-RW drive, original disc has became readable at my own PC.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 12:28 AM   #39
Rcsubs
Seaman

I have thought that maybe the dvd drive is the problem, however if it is the problem then why is the sh4 disk the only disk that I can not access??
Old 10-01-08, 12:58 PM   #40
rhohltjr
Mate

Default OK so far.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Have you tried pulling out your mods one by one to see if one them has a conflict? For instant if the air layer mod has a kind of airplane that doesn't fit the game database, as soon as one of that airplane comes in sight the game will CTD. You'd have to talk to a modder for a better explanation.

Play the game totally stock. Then as everything works OK (I hope), plug in your mods one at a time until you have your problem. That's the one!
So far, so good. I removed the 3000 yard tool that I have used since I discovered it. No unexplainable CTDs yet. Now for something else: Is there any location to download that mini-tweaker thing without having to register on some website I'll never return to ???
Old 10-02-08, 10:15 AM   #41
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Good job! Now download the 3000 yard-meter bearing tool, which changes units based on whether you are in your U-Boat or fleet boat. It will work without crashes.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 12:10 PM   #42
rhohltjr
Mate

I will give this a try!

Quote:
Good job! Now download the 3000 yard-meter bearing tool, which changes units based on whether you are in your U-Boat or fleet boat. It will work without crashes.
Didn't know a newer version of that tool existed. Thanks!

I don't have the Uboat expansion. Is this version of the 3000 yard-meter bearing tool just for version 1.5?
Old 10-02-08, 06:34 PM   #43
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhohltjr
Quote:

I don't have the Uboat expansion. Is this version of the 3000 yard-meter bearing tool just for version 1.5?
Yes, sorry. It's made to render yards in the fleet boat and meters in the U-Boat. I don't know if that means it doesn't work in 1.4 though.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 11:11 AM   #44
rhohltjr
Mate

Is this documented anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhohltjr
Quote:
Don't have a 3000 yard tool installed and things had become sort of stable(so I thought), yet about half way through October 1942 I started to get a lot of CTDs.

I don't understand why my game hits a date switch and all of a sudden it is unplayable again???? I still have RSRDC1.4 and Air Layer, do those MODS have date related tweeks that could cause that much instability??? I thought I read where there is a November 1943 CTD problem that people can't get around but I'm still in 1942????
Old 10-15-08, 01:17 PM   #45
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Hey guys, I appreciate all helping out each other but can you take this CTD to a PM for resolution? I want to keep this thread as a re-installing SH4 thread only.

Thanks!