SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-21-07, 06:28 AM   #16
highkoo
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Staumeier
For the moment I'm sitting at work, so I can't test that out, but I'll do when I get home. I'm not aware of any dual-core fix for windows though O.o

Where do I find that? And what does it fix?

EDIT:
I DID check the taskmanager yesterday and SHIV was using about 1.1 Gb of RAM and about 53-60% CPU power constantly.
It changes the way windows handles threading protocols with duel core Cpus, let me know what happens with changing the affinty when you get home.
highkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 09:16 AM   #17
Lt. Staumeier
Loader

Downloads: 27

Allright. I'll check it up ASAP when I'm back home. Only one more hour left until work's out. *taps foot*
Old 03-21-07, 12:19 PM   #18
Lt. Staumeier
Loader

Downloads: 27

Came home, rebooted my computer, started SHIV and it ran! O.o Ran "smoothly" enough to be playable. No skips and no abysmal framerate. Dunno what changed, but it runs now. Still gonna get a new GFX card though. I NEED this game to run at max rez
Old 03-21-07, 12:28 PM   #19
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Came home, rebooted my computer, started SHIV and it ran! O.o Ran "smoothly" enough to be playable. No skips and no abysmal framerate. Dunno what changed, but it runs now. Still gonna get a new GFX card though. I NEED this game to run at max rez
I hope this helps you and others with skips and studdering ... this man has a problem too and when he reboots the problem goes away. Something to do with:

Quote:
my cache is normal sized until i play a game for a while...then it shoots way up past 2500MB. screens ... i'm trying to figure out why my x1900xt is studdering and a friend pointed out my cache gets huge. above pic's are after maybe 10 minutes of play, after a couple hours it gets well over 2500000.

anyway a lot of nice people are trying to help him too ... here's the link:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57821
Old 03-21-07, 02:41 PM   #20
Dane
Mate

Default Please help with an Install

Strange. My CD rom is working as I can view other cd's , but it will not install the game. I dont think I have auto run disabled, but not sure how to find out. Now here is the puzzle. I installed it on my laptop with out any problems, though I have not actually played game yet. I tried following the directions in the manual about looking for the setup.exe (I have found this before) but it keeps telling me that I need to insert the disk into the drive. I have no idea why it asks me this when the disk is inserted. The cd lights flash as if it is trying to read it but it doesn't. Now if there is a strange thing, I have an HP computer. My cd drive is the "F" drive which is under the area called "Device with removable storage" and the hard disk is the c drive and the hard disk "D" drive is where the HP recovery drive is located . Can yuo believe with waiting with anticipation and then this happens??!! I am at a loss as what to do. How come I can't find the game in a folder area and it keeps asking me to insert the disk? Thank you so much
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:55 PM   #21
Dane
Mate

Default Install problem fixed

I have no idea, but no the game is installing. It was like my computer took a vacation for 45 minutes. Probably knew that it was going to get tested with SH 4 for many days to come. Thank you. All fixed, I think.
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 03:32 PM   #22
Psyon
A-ganger

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane
I have no idea, but no the game is installing. It was like my computer took a vacation for 45 minutes. Probably knew that it was going to get tested with SH 4 for many days to come. Thank you. All fixed, I think.
i am glad you got it working.

the story below is for those rare times when you just cannot find the problem when your cd is not reading and your computer says "please insert disk" when you know damm well there is a cd in there

this used to happen to me all the time, i would just buy another cd-rom since they are a dime a dozen now-a-days.

untill my boys' playstation stop reading any disks one day and they both started searching for a fix. they found out that there is an adjustment inside the cd reader that raises and/or lowers the laser doohickey:hmm: the kids took the most scratched up game cd they could find and kept adjusting it till it read it. from then on, that playstaion reads everything short of a all the way through cracked disk

i had them go at my two old cd drives that could not read the broad side of a barn. sure enough both work fine now...
Psyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 09:11 PM   #23
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1491
Default Error 3D Engine

I just installed SH4 no problems with install but when I tried to run the sim I got the following message Error:Can Not Initialize 3D Engine.I than click ok and CTD here are my systems specs
P4 3,2 GHz
2048 Mb RAM DDR2 4200
ATI 1600 with 512 ram on card
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
I rebooted the computer after I installed the sim also.

JeffG
Jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 09:15 PM   #24
akdavis
Samurai Navy

I've run into a wall with this game I've never hit before. I keep getting dumped from the game with errors. They are a variation on this:

AppName: sh4.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.0 ModName: sh4.exe
ModVer: 1.0.0.0 Offset: 0000fe18

Everything is fine for 5 or 10 minutes, then the error pops up and the sim closes. Happens regardless of what I do, even if I just let the game sit there (although I haven't figured out if it happens if leave it sitting in the main menu screen).

I got the game as a download from Ubi.com. I installed the latest directx on the CD, then downloaded the latest and installed to make sure. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game twice now.
Old 03-21-07, 09:17 PM   #25
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg
I just installed SH4 no problems with install but when I tried to run the sim I got the following message Error:Can Not Initialize 3D Engine.I than click ok and CTD here are my systems specs
P4 3,2 GHz
2048 Mb RAM DDR2 4200
ATI 1600 with 512 ram on card
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
I rebooted the computer after I installed the sim also.

JeffG
I'm not a big tech guy, but I have received the same message with SH3.
Uninstall everything, including the files in 'My Documents' and reinstall. I know it takes some time but it has been the only means of cleaning the problem in SH3.
Old 03-21-07, 09:21 PM   #26
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1491

Thanks I will try that and see what happens.
Jeff
Jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 11:02 PM   #27
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1

Well I'm only 5 minutes into trying this after install and already have the following problems:

1. GameShadow crashes trying to add the game EDIT: Fixed, my system was unstable
2. SH4.EXE starts OK but crashes upon exit EDIT: Fixed, my system was unstable
3. 1280x720 is not in the list. This is fatal for me. The guy in one of the interview videos said, "If your computer supports a resolution it will work with SH4." Well that's BS. This is fatal since the 8800 XP drivers are complete trash right now and only work well at 1024x768 or 1280x720 on my 720p 56" DLP TV. Higher resolutions (1080i and variants) all overscan and the underscan feature on the drivers is completely broken. The only way I could make 1024x768 work properly was to create custom timings.

I guess I have to play at 1024x768 for now, but I couldn't be more pissed about it.

EDIT: Update after a few hours of play. The visuals are truly stunning. Even at this resolution, they're so good I hardly mind it. The complaints about the crew are unfounded I believe - semi transparent yes, not a big deal unless you stare at a crew member for more than a second or two, and you should be looking for boats not watching these guys.

I'm running on an overclocked E6600 at 3.3 GHz and a Geforce 8800 GTS, and I have all the settings cranked to the max, and the framerate is great. I'm glad I built a new system just for this game. The initial instabilities were due to aggressive overclocking - I was stable for days and for some reason it picked today to go bad. I fired up Serious Sam which I played for hours last night and it crashed 10 seconds in, so I pulled back the CPU clocks from 3.6 to 3.3 GHz, and increased the CPU voltage a bit, and all is good.

Other problems:
1. The radar simply didn't work at all on the convoy training mission, even though it says to use it. Maybe I'm using it wrong.

2. The convoy mission recommends that you "continue submerged" at the start, but you start surfaced and are immediately spotted. Unless you move fast you get sunk, and then you're past the convoy. I don't think this was intended since it's supposed to teach you how to shoot at the convoy.

3. I can barely, barely hear depth charges that sink my boat. This is really nasty since I'm really not sure if I'm being attacked or not.

4. Realistic Battery seems to drain it awfully quick. Way quicker than I expected but I might have simply multiplied the time too much. This was on the convoy training, and my battery failed before the convoy even crossed my path.

5. The deck gun, when zoomed in at either magnification, suddenly refused to shoot short distances - the shot would either land 15 feet from the boat, or ~2500 meters, but nowhere in between. This also affected when I asked the crew to shoot for me - they would unload shot after shot into the water 15 feet from the boat.

6. I enabled the option for Realistic Sound Travel Time but I notice in Main.cfg that SoundTravel=false, so I'm wondering if this is even working.

7. I'm wondering why DynamicShadows=No in Main.cfg when all options have been cranked to the max in the game. Seems like they just didn't put this on the UI for some reason. Anyone know if it does anything on =Yes?

8. The lack of FSAA really does hurt the quality and should be fixed, if at all possible, even if it requires that we turn off some of the higher end graphic features.

9. The lack of interactivity with the 3D view of various controls really does suck as well. It was terrible in SH3 but at least it was there, to some degree.

Overall I'm very happy with the game, though I haven't done much beyond the Training yet. Even with the problems it's a huge advancement over SH3 visually. The show stopper I had with SH3 was corrupted savegames during heavy activity so I hope the same doesn't happen here.

Last edited by minsc_tdp; 03-22-07 at 04:55 AM.
minsc_tdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 02:35 AM   #28
highkoo
Seaman

Quote:
Hey im glad to hear you got your issues sorted out

Good hunting
highkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 05:58 AM   #29
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163

Has anyone gotten Multiplayer on internet to work?
I have opened up all ports but there are no games coming up and refresh seems porked (not sure though). I tried setting up games but no one joins...help, i'm scared
Ragtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 04:15 PM   #30
akdavis
Samurai Navy

I really need some help here. I always get dumped out of the game with an error after playing for a random amount of time (not connected to any particular action in game). I have no idea how to copy the full report text, as I can't select it with the cursor, but the first file mentioned is usally sh4.exe and then a series of different .dll files.

I downloaded the game from Ubi.

I've installed latest video and sound drivers. I've uninstalled and reinstalled game.

This is making the game completely unplayable for me. If someone knows a way to contact someone for technical support, please let me know. Ubi support won't even let me post a question.

Thanks.