SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-08, 12:12 PM   #1
feld
Loader

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Default 12 nm from land triggers

Question: Anyone have an easy way of trapping it when the player approaches within 12 nm from land of a country?

Background: Navigating a submarine submerged within the territorial waters of another nation is a violation of international law according to UN Conference on the Law of the Sea 3. Yes I've read Blind Man's Bluff and but the premise of my scenario is that the player must stay outside of the territoral waters of a given nation.

The only way I can see to do this is a bunch of overlapping goal-destination triggers manually placed on the map providing a point penalty when player violates goes within 12 nm of points on the given country's coast. Maybe if they stay inside 12nm long enough I get them detected an it precipitates an attack or a war.

Any thoughts?
-feld
feld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 01:27 PM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by feld
Question: Anyone have an easy way of trapping it when the player approaches within 12 nm from land of a country?

Background: Navigating a submarine submerged within the territorial waters of another nation is a violation of international law according to UN Conference on the Law of the Sea 3. Yes I've read Blind Man's Bluff and but the premise of my scenario is that the player must stay outside of the territoral waters of a given nation.

The only way I can see to do this is a bunch of overlapping goal-destination triggers manually placed on the map providing a point penalty when player violates goes within 12 nm of points on the given country's coast. Maybe if they stay inside 12nm long enough I get them detected an it precipitates an attack or a war.

Any thoughts?
-feld
That's pretty much how it's done. The bigger you can make the trigger radius, the flatter the boundary line will be. It can get tricky on a swiggly coastline or an embayment.
Old 08-27-08, 01:38 PM   #3
feld
Loader

Downloads: 22

Ok. Thanks for the quick reply!
-feld
feld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 04:46 PM   #4
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Yes. That's exactly how I've done it in some of my missions.