SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-18, 06:28 PM   #1
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Default Best gaming PC

I have decided to invest into a gaming PC. Never had before. I was hoping you guys can give me a review of computers you suggest.

This computer is with SH3 in mind.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 07:13 PM   #2
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

I put together a gaming pc 1.5y ago. I read a couple of articles on what to look at to get the best price-reward ratio.

Here is my set up:
Intel Core i5 6600K BOX (LGA 1151, 3.50GHz, Unlocked)
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero (LGA 1151, Intel Z170, ATX)
Raijintek Arcadia schwarz (Midi Tower)
HyperX Fury (4x, 4GB, DDR4-2133, DIMM 288)
Samsung SM951 NVMe, bulk (512GB, M.2 2280)
ZOTAC GTX 970 (4GB, Mittelklasse)
Philips 288P6LJEB (28", 3840x2160)
Alpenföhn Ben Nevis (14.10cm)
Super FlowerGolden Green HX 80Plus (750W)

This is a complete overkill for SH3, but it certainly doesn't hurt and other modern and upcoming games could be virtually unplayable. I strongly suggest reading a few articles like this one:

tomshardware.com

or this one:

www.simple.com

Depending on how much you are willing to spend, the sky is the limit. I would first determine what the goals are. If you exclusively play SH3 and don't care about modern titles you can go fairly low budget. Long loading times and stuttering hasn't to do with hardware shortcomings but with the dated architecture of the SH3 software. If you also might buy more recent titles decide how much money you are willing to spend and go from there. Raw CPU power isn't the determining factor, especially in graphics intensive games. 16 Gb of RAM is almost a must for modern games and a dedicated gaming GPU is also a must. Save some money with the CPU and put that on the GPU if in doubt.

Good luck and have fun (I had fun putting my gaming PC together )
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 07:56 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

I appreciate the reply. I should’ve been more specific. I mean ready to buy gaming computers. I don’t want to build one, I just want to buy one off the shelf. I am hoping that someone would be able to recommend a gaming computer off the shelf.

DISCORD
Old 01-20-18, 08:17 PM   #4
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

Oh, I see. Well, most of the advice still applies, as most PC/electronics shops offer ready built gaming PCs for various purposes and budgets. It does pay to know what exactly you are looking for. So when you look at a selection look at the ones that have a better GPU in the price range that you are considering, etc. Some online shops have configurators where you can adjust your gaming PC to your needs and budget.

What country are you in? Or just goolge 'gaming pc online shop <your country>' and compare the results for price and quality of the components. In my country a ready built PC is about 500 USD or 400 EUR more expensive than the individual components separately. For my PC that would be about 1/3rd of the price. On the upside getting a ready-built PC you are guaranteed to get a nicely adjusted configuration and you don't have to wait for the individual shipments to arrive and it's probably easier in case something doesn't work too.

I'd go for a quality online shop with a good reputation in your country, not one that opened a few months ago. I wouldn't buy a gaming PC in a huge chain like Mediamarkt or Radioshack, but that's my personal preference.

Heres an example for a configurator in the UK
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 08:39 PM   #5
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7

I have an Alienware Aurora R4.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 02:20 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Most average computers are a couple of generations past the ones SH3 was designed for. Pretty much any PC you buy today ("Gaming" or not) will be more than enough to run a thirteen-year-old game. My Lenovo laptop runs it just fine with all the bells and whistles turned on.
Old 01-21-18, 09:31 AM   #7
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

I recently purchased an Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop in anticipation of the release of the game Uboot. The Uboot Devs told me that I would see great results at the highest settings on this Laptop. Plenty of gaming power at a great price. You can get if for about $800. I'm currently playing SHIII on it and it plays perfectly.

Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" Full HD, Intel Core I7-7700HQ CPU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, GeForce GTX 1060-6GB, VR Ready.

Last edited by TDK1044; 01-21-18 at 03:27 PM.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 09:32 AM   #8
roblaf
Watch

Downloads: 35

I have a Alienware aurora A6.
roblaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 01:10 PM   #9
Fanuboat
Torpedoman

Downloads: 51

Dont go for an alienware except if you like to pay something more then the normal price.

You will economize a lot if you select each composant your self, you can ask the shop to build your pc if you dont want to do that your self, but lol avoid alienware really.

Processor >>> i5K is enough.
Graphic card well ...... Nvidia for sure.
Mother board >>> Asus.

At least 8 giga of memory ................ Et voila.
Fanuboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 02:02 PM   #10
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

When you Buy a new pc you want the best bang for your buck going to your local electrical retailer will have off the shelf Factory built offerings may have a 1050 gtx a 1060 gtx but the other components like the mother board will probably be the cheapest one that will accommodate a 1050 gtx 1060gtx and PSU power supply will bargain basement just enough to run the pc
there must be a dedicated PC outlet that builds them where you can tell them your budget and work with you to get you the best rig for your budget
also good gaming pc companies like CCL based in Bradford UK offer three years collect and return waranty inc parts n labour on all there pc builds and off the shelf pre built ones too
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 04:29 PM   #11
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
I appreciate the reply. I should’ve been more specific. I mean ready to buy gaming computers. I don’t want to build one, I just want to buy one off the shelf. I am hoping that someone would be able to recommend a gaming computer off the shelf.

If you're UK based then try looking at;

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/

You can buy ready built, design your own and they build, what ever takes your fancy. I have used them for years, but mainly for components, however their system bundles are outstanding. Have 2 rigs running from their bundles and not a problem. But like others point out, the world is your oyster. I spec'd a rig from them hypothetically just last weekend that was close on 5K

Good luck pal
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 04:25 PM   #12
PapaSmurf
Bosun

Downloads: 129

I bought a Cyberpower gaming PC and really like it. They have lots to choose from.
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 04:35 PM   #13
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Today pretty every desktop computer you buy can run the SH series. But the world is not made of SH games, so to have a good rig for the next 5 years you should have a system similar to this:

Processor: variable speed from 3.0 ghz to 4.7 ghz, Intel processor
System RAM: At least 16 GB
Video card: minimum Nvidia GTX 960 4gb VRAM, OpenGL 4.5 compatible (*)

(*) This is a pretty cheap card today ($200 and less) and a decent one which will run pretty all games on the market, the most demanding ones for sure at medium grafic settings, and else most games at 60 FPS constant at high grafic settings. If you can get a NVidia of the GTX 1080 serie for a good price, then so much the better, but they start at $550 upwards.

Cheers,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-23-18 at 04:44 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 06:42 PM   #14
bstanko6
Admiral

Appreciate all the suggestions. I have played SH3 for a long time and used economic rigs in the past. No matter what I do, LSH or even rough seas when on the bridge tend to slow the game down. I am looking for an ultimate rig that will put lag out if it’s misery.

DISCORD
Old 01-23-18, 07:06 PM   #15
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Appreciate all the suggestions. I have played SH3 for a long time and used economic rigs in the past. No matter what I do, LSH or even rough seas when on the bridge tend to slow the game down. I am looking for an ultimate rig that will put lag out if it’s misery.
I still have SH3 installed on my old XP laptop with WAC 2.15
So the question is not which computer can run SHx, but which computer will run the games that you buy in 3-5 years.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote