SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-16, 10:03 PM   #1
Benzin1973
Engineer

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0
Default Eye candy of LSH3 on GWX3. is it Possible?

Hi guys, im torn between LSH3 and GWX. On one hand, LSH looks just beautiful. The water, enviroment, ports, the best special effects ibe seen in sh3, etc. Are just awesome and far better than those in GWX imo.
On the other hand, i find LSH to be far too easy for my taste. It seems i literally have to go out of my way to even get detected. So Gameplay wise, i must say i prefeer GWX hands down.
The only other issue i have with LSH, is the load times are huge. Just a bit longer than my patience allows.

The obvious solution would be to use the eyecandy of LSH in GWX, and i have tried using the addon mods that come with LSH (effects big, blue water, etc) in GWX, but they dont look the same. I guess besides the aditional mods, LSH also adds some particle/texture/what-not files or something.

So my question is, ¿has anyone succeeded in using the eyecandy of LSH with GWX?
I am particulary interested in the special effects and enviroments.

If else fails, can you recommend the "greatest" enviroment and special effects mods for GWX?
Currently im using the SH4 effects for SH3 (GWX) mod for effects.

thanks!
Benzin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-16, 10:58 PM   #2
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

I doubt that would be possible. It might be possible to change the sensor settings in LSH, thought. I think I remember some threads have discussed how to make the game more difficult.

Another thing to do would be to edit the campaign files so that every enemy unit is elite level. That could work if the enemy in LSH is difficult in 1944-1945.
Old 06-27-16, 02:24 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

All of LSH3's bridges, harbors and locks are included in GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V7.7z by BigBoyWooly, with permission. It can be found here:
ftp://hartmuthaas.no-ip.org/Public/S...3COMMUNITYMODS

If it asks, the username is Maik and the password is Woelfe.

I use the SH5 water mod for SH3 myself.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3314

For other favorite mods see this thread. Unfortunately the OP has taken down his own pictures, but the links are still there as are all my pics.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170090
Old 06-27-16, 07:35 PM   #4
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
I doubt that would be possible. It might be possible to change the sensor settings in LSH, thought. I think I remember some threads have discussed how to make the game more difficult.

Another thing to do would be to edit the campaign files so that every enemy unit is elite level. That could work if the enemy in LSH is difficult in 1944-1945.
I belive you are right. I have no idea of wich/how many files would have to be moved and/or modified/adapted from LSH to GWX to get the special effects, im guessing textures, zones, animations, etc.
On the other hand, as far as sensors go, moving GWX stuff to LSH is basically a matter of adapting sim.cfg, sensors.cfg ai_sensors.dat and sensors.dat.
A lot more stuff would need to be adapted to get the whole "GWX feeling", but its a start.
Old 06-27-16, 07:39 PM   #5
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
All of LSH3's bridges, harbors and locks are included in GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V7.7z by BigBoyWooly, with permission. It can be found here:
ftp://hartmuthaas.no-ip.org/Public/S...3COMMUNITYMODS

If it asks, the username is Maik and the password is Woelfe.

I use the SH5 water mod for SH3 myself.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3314

For other favorite mods see this thread. Unfortunately the OP has taken down his own pictures, but the links are still there as are all my pics.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170090
Thanks Sailor Steve, im downloading that mod from the FTP right now.

I tried SH5 water mod, but for some reason it doesnt look too good on my system. Color is weird, almost like purple.
I made a very small modification to LSH's blue water mod and i got it running with GWX. Its a big improvement!

I have made a mod for GWX wich changes stuff i dont like/disagree with, and also serves as a "compilation" of the small mods i use with GWX (i hate long lists on JSGME hehe). I will add this blue water one to it. And most likely will add that mod you told me after i test it!
Old 06-28-16, 04:33 AM   #6
Benzin1973
Engineer

Been poking arround the SFX system of SH3, and the stuff LSH3 adds to it.
Apparently it doesnt modify the .zon files of ships, it just adds a bunch of textures and the particles & materials files.
Adding these and some minor changes to GWX's zones.cfg file shoud be enough...

Note to self: while poking in GWX's zones.cfg, remember to reduce the ship sink time a bit. half of current GWX values would be nice. I hate having to wait arround for hours and hours for a ship to sink.
Old 06-28-16, 10:25 AM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Glad to hear you're getting it set up the way you want. That's really all any of us can ask for from a game.
Old 06-28-16, 06:14 PM   #8
Benzin1973
Engineer

Success! It wasnt nearly as hard as i tought it would be!

Managed to port the Enviroment (water, sky, clouds, etc) of LSH to GWX, Even managed to keep the option to use blue or green water!

I also managed to adapt the special effects! This one was harder. Had to alter the zones.cfg gile, the sh3.sdl sound file, figure out what aditional sounds i needed to move, etc. But it seems to be working fine.

Its a huge improvement! The game looks very nice now. I would be glad to share this mod with the community, just not sure if its ok to "redistribute" the stuff i borrowed from LSH?

Sailor Steve:You are correct! very few games give us the immense flexibility SH3 gives us in regards to how our game looks & feels!
Old 06-28-16, 07:50 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Here are the core rules for making a new mod using other people's work:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=115983
Old 06-28-16, 10:24 PM   #10
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Great! Maybe this could be used to make NYGM a little prettier!
Old 06-29-16, 12:56 AM   #11
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
Great! Maybe this could be used to make NYGM a little prettier!
I dont use NYGM, but im betting it shouldnt be hard to do at all, as the enviroments & effects mods consist mainly of replacement textures, particles.dat,sound files, etc.
The main files that would have to be "merged" (as they control other gameplay aspects of the game) are sh3.sdl, zones.cfg, scene.dat and maybe a few others.
Old 06-29-16, 01:09 AM   #12
Benzin1973
Engineer

----- Begin off topic ramble on something that just hit me:

In retrospective...
On one of the first post i made in this forum, where i talked about some stuff i dont like/disagree with on GWX, i mentioned how i
Quote:
"wasnt gonna get caught again in spending more time modding than playing"
as i have done in other games before.
Yet after all this time since i got SH3, i havent even been to 1943 yet!

No surprise really, take a look at my change log, for my own personal mod ibe made to get rid of the stuff i dont like on GWX (this doesnt include stuff i made to vanilla, or stuff i made when i tried to get into sh5, or sh4):

Quote:
GWX Adjustments 2.2

----- CHANGES IN 2.2 -----
- Aircraft hitpoints reduced to twice vanilla values (not x10 times as in GWX). Aircraft are still a lot stronger, smarter and deadlier than on vanilla, but not virtually indestructible death sentances as in GWX. (zones.cfg)

- All Ship flooding time (sink time) reduced to half of GWX values, still longer than vanilla tho. Ships now take longer to sink than vanilla, but not so long as in GWX (zones.cfg)

- All ships hit points reduced to vanilla. It shouldnt take 2 torpedos to sink a small merchant. GWX increased Armor levels remain intact, as to avoid vanilla's "uber-deckgun" effect. (zones.cfg)

- All ships critical hit chances back to vanilla. (zones.cfg), I love a surprise "BOOM!" evey once in a while.

----- CHANGES IN 2.1 -----
- Added GWX3.0 - 6 Dial Slideout and BinocBrgFix modified to show the crosshair on binacular.(menu_1024_768.ini + aditional files added)

----- INITIAL RELEASE OF GWX ADJUSTMENTS 2.0 -----

----- CHANGES TO GWX SENSORS/AI/VISUAL DIFFICUTLY SETTINGS -----

- Dept charges precision reverted to vanilla values (DephCharges.sim)

- Air units skill level reduced. Its still 50% higher than vanilla, but still less than GWX (AirStrike.cfg)

- Reduced time enemy AI will continue to look for you once it looses you (Lost contact time) from 30min to 20min. (vanilla is 15) (Sim.cfg)

- Reduced light factor for player crew visual detection so you can see a little better at night. Now higher than vanilla but lower than gwx. (sim.cfg)

- Reduced AI max visual range to be the same as the player. 16000m. (AI_Sensors.dat)

- Reduced AI sonar, hydrophone and radar *sensitivity* values to vanilla ones (sim.cfg, AI_Sensors.dat)
NOTE: Range, area, and other improvement modifications by gwx remain intact. Only exception is hydrophone (see below).

- Reduced AI hydrophone max range to vanilla 6000m (AI_Sensors.dat)

- Reduced AI cannons max range to 10,000m. Still almost twice of vanilla, but less than gwx. As well as fire rate to vanilla lvl. (sim.cfg)

-Reduced AI AA cannon max range to 2000m. Still twice of vanilla, but less than gwx. Rate reduced to vanilla. (Sim.cfg)

- Changed Player hydrophone noise factor to vanilla (Sensors.cfg)

- Increased player periscope sight ranges according to vanilla proportions, taking into account the 16km range. gwx was lower than vanilla (Sensors.dat)

----- OTHER CHANGES TO GWX -----

- Reverted wave amplitude back to vanilla, i hate the constant"current depth 10 meters" while cruising surfaced during during storms.

- Modified fatigue model, so that crew on "resting" compartments recover quicker.

- Restored Vanilla binoculars with bearing marks and crosshair.

- Restored Vanilla colored contact marks on map

- Restored Vanilla music (you can allways turn down music volume if you dont like it! )
Now im doing this enviroments & fx mod... and im also doing a "small" mod to provide an "enhanced vanilla" experience...

man, there is one thing i gotta do:

STOP!

Old 01-19-18, 03:36 PM   #13
Blitz_KG200
Swabbie

Downloads: 374

Hello, is "GWX Adjustments 2.2" ever released? i'm very interested in this mod and i can't find it. Thanks!
Blitz_KG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 06:28 PM   #14
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

I also feel that LSH3 is a little too easy, so I would be interested in the GWX-LSH3 hybrid.
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 12:15 PM   #15
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

LSH doesn't have the tons of improvements that GWX3.0 has added to the game, especially the numerous campaign additions, a 550+ detailed manual and gameplay tweaks.
If you use GWX3.0 with the Manos widescreen gui, it will will perfectly scale from 1366x768 to 1920x1080 for best possible 3D grafics.
I see only little difference when playing LSH-2015, so the whole discussion here about eye-candy is a wasted one.

If you want eye-candy go play SH5, here you can note differences in the grafics compared to SH3 (not a surprise, it's fully widescreen compatible.)
If instead you want to play with a lot of different subs, then play SH3. And its grafics are not so bad that I jump out of my chair...
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote