Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-06, 12:38 PM   #91
Sharkstooth
Red Shoe Queen

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens

As you may know, we have a Special Project in the works. One of the things I am doing is compiling a roster of people who have been with Subsim since the Early Times. Of course, I have Bill, John, Drebbel, and a few others listed as the Moses group. I have a short list of other legacy players, some who have not been seen in a while (Frank, Jason), some who are still around. To cross check my list, I invite you to post here.

How did you learn about Subsim?
When did you first visit?
What do you recall about Subsim upon your first vist? (Some article, some game, maybe some forum topic, etc.)
What type of forum was Subsim using at the time? (Matt's BBS, EZBoard, phpBB 1.44, etc)
What was your name or Subsim nickname then? Same as now or something else?
Anything else you would like to mention (nostalgic times, people, events in the Subsim community):

Try to be as accurate as you can, thanks. This will be part of the SP.
Neal
First learned about subsim from RickCSniper---but i think it was before he had that name.
I recall the chatroom-Anyone up for a hunt?
Believe it was Matt's BBS
I wasn't registered -- just watched and read. The atmosphere of the forum is what kept me coming back. Seemed to be alot of respect and integrity with the way everyone treated each other. Something not found often on the internet in my experience.
It still keeps me here.

nostalgic times....hmmm... almost too many to mention. WPL radio is tops on my list... so many great ppl......including the yahoo crew.

Last edited by Sharkstooth; 05-30-06 at 08:06 PM.
Sharkstooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 12:44 PM   #92
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

I came here first around spring of '02 after someone (think it might have been Ramius or Xabba) pointed me here from a basically dead Sub Command forum I stumbled on. The first time I was here I remember a bunch of posts about the new RN subs and a new Typhoon SSBN for SCX, there was a version of I think the Upholder SSK with an SCX logo on the rudder as a little joke. Then for about a year I didn't have an Internet connection (Until June of '03), I then came back and have been on the board almost every day since.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 12:46 PM   #93
lesrae
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Similar to others, I started visiting around the time Sub Command came out, fairly sporadic to start with, then more frequently over the last year or two - signing up in the lead-up to the release of SHIII. Because of my irregular use I can't really remember many details of the early days I'm afraid.
Old 05-30-06, 12:56 PM   #94
Sailor Steve
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I bought SHII off the shelf and ran into immediate problems with crashing. after reloading and experimenting for several months I finally realized there must be someone who knows how to fix it. A forum search brought me here, where I learned of the official patch and mods which not only fixed the problem but actually made the game fun to play.

I'm pretty sure my profile date is right, and the first thing I noticed was how many people there were here who were willing and able to help, to mod and to have a good time. A lot of the faces have changed, but those characteristics haven't.

I used to post in other forums under my real name; I created the 'Sailor Steve' persona specifically for SubSim.

Nostalgia? People? Events? I will never forget the infamous 'Drebbel Trial', while we were waiting for SHIII.
Old 05-30-06, 01:28 PM   #95
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

I first heard about Subsim.com way back in 1998, when I was looking for tips for the Commander's Edition of Silent Hunter, which I had bought a few days before. The first article I can remember reading was an interview with Mike Jones, and the first file I downloaded was the 1.1 patch for 688(I). I remember seeing the first screenshots for SHII back in 1998, and being glad that we'd recently updated our computer. Great, I have enough RAM to play this new sub game that's coming out!

Anyway, I remember signing the "fix the 688(I) campaign" petition, and writing a message on the board with a few suggestions. That was back when the board was an open system, and I can't remember my nickname.

I closely followed the developments of SHII and SC day by day in 2001, and was dissapointed that I didn't get SC as a christmas gift in 2001. I got SHII instead, and the first thing I did was download new menu backdrops. After that, things get a little murky. The new board system arrived, and I registered as "wasserbomb". I posted about 20 times under that name, but lost my password and pretty much abandoned the boards. I mostly remember the big fuss over Kraut before he got banned.

In February 2005 I registered again under my current nickname. My best memory of the past 16 months was learning how to run the original SH under XP. I don't post that often, but I read the board every day, and I'm glad there are plenty of people out there that share my interests. Oh, and I finally have a place to put my book reviews!
Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 01:50 PM   #96
StdDev
Legend of the Sea

Joined Subsim / WPL several months before SHII was released..
I'm talkin WAY back.. There was even this weirdo Texan as BdU of WPL then!
StdDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 03:05 PM   #97
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

well first found subsim by accident, on google but then lost the link emailed bill then joined.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 03:38 PM   #98
gdogghenrikson
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 5

I found out about subim in late 2004 I was looking for mods for Silent hunter 2
Old 05-30-06, 03:56 PM   #99
Linton
Sea Lord

I discovered this site when I bought subcommand and signed up straight away.I think it was using the old style board at the time and I was using a dial-up connection in the local library to read it.I was attracted to the site because it offered tips on how to play the SC game.My original name was Cornwallis( a name I still use on a few other sites)but I changed to Linton to honour a deceased RN submarine captain and VC holder.We were born in the same town.I play SC when I can and have never really got into DW or played mp across the net.I think SCX was as good as we will see for a while until DW goes multi-platform though I wish a Lami project could have been written for SC.I have not even got around to playing any of the akula missions in SC.
This site really makes the game live by injecting a lot of rl into the game and also background into the game design.
I try and look at it daily and I have read it in places as far apart as Cuba and the Maldives.
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:11 PM   #100
Fish
Eternal Patrol

I started to read the forum back in 1999, was one of the Fix my 688 Campain petitioners. (Willem Peschier)

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/fixmy688.html
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:14 PM   #101
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

Pretty much the same story here, had picked up SHII and DC and was looking for some info as I was already a flightsimmer and figured there must be a place for subs and naval stuff. IIRC, SHII had subsim listed somewhere in the credits...well Neal's name was there.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:33 PM   #102
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

2000 i actually registered with Subsim, yet i wasn't in here often was hard at work at the time so only popped in very rarely. Then was absent for probably 8months or so and the next time i went on around 2005 i forgot my old username and password so re-registered as kiwi_2005. Now im addicted to this forum

EDIT:
Ooops didnt read all your questions neal: so here is what i can remeber which isn't much:
How did you learn about Subsim? - I think while looking for SH2 sites i stumbled across subsim
When did you first visit? - 2000
What do you recall about Subsim upon your first vist? (Some article, some game, maybe some forum topic, etc.) Silent Hunter I & II
What type of forum was Subsim using at the time? (Matt's BBS, EZBoard, phpBB 1.44, etc) - Can't remember.
What was your name or Subsim nickname then? Same as now or something else? - That i can't remeber old one
Anything else you would like to mention (nostalgic times, people, events in the Subsim community): Yep i have a real bad memory :P

Last edited by kiwi_2005; 05-30-06 at 06:44 PM.
kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 06:53 PM   #103
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

I first joined SubSim in early (February-March) 2001. SubSim was still on the EZ Board system (I think I remember people telling me that it was relatively new at the time). I was looking for information regarding Janes 688(i), and stumbled across the Fix My 688(i) pettition. I rarely posted in those days, but I had read about the upcoming Silent Hunter 2, and saw that the Wolfpack League was starting up, and, as Neal knows, I became heavily involved in that project.

My nickname has always been Takeda Shingen (Tak for short). My earliest friends were primarily in the WPL circut, namely PirateGhost, Frank, Sharkstooth, RickCSniper, DeerhunterUK, zzsteven, King (have not seen him for ages) and later Nemesis and TimmyG00 (who was instrumental in kicking off Sub Command Headquarters).

As it became clear that SH2 was not the sim that we were hoping for, my attention was drawn back to the SubSim forums proper, where I have stayed since that time. Admittedly, I do enjoy conversing with many of the members, most especially Skybird, TteFaboB, Oberon, Steed, TLAM, and many others. It remains the only internet forum to which I belong.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 01:01 AM   #104
werauchimmer
Seaman

Similar as with Skybird. I read an early preview about Subcommand and decided to go check the web and see what I can fid about that cool new subsim. Somehow I wound up here. After 9/11 i lay low for quite some time because the atmosphere here became somewhat... unpleasant. Most of the time I only lurk around here and read what you people post, but every once in a while I post.

How did you learn about Subsim?
Some search engine I guess.

When did you first visit?
Hard to tell, it was way before SC came out, though.

What do you recall about Subsim upon your first vist? (Some article, some game, maybe some forum topic, etc.)
Not much, really. There were several veeery annoying people on the "general" section, though. One had a wierd avatar with a man with some kind of hood on, i seem to remember.

What type of forum was Subsim using at the time? (Matt's BBS, EZBoard, phpBB 1.44, etc)
EZBoard I think, but i am not sure. This forum here is the third version of subsim for me I think.

What was your name or Subsim nickname then? Same as now or something else?
Always have been werauchimmer

Anything else you would like to mention
No, I already did that i think.

Last edited by werauchimmer; 05-31-06 at 01:05 AM.
werauchimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 01:12 AM   #105
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

@TLAM Strike

Remember that for people using the Hazlazblue theme you text is totally unvisble. White text on a whitish background is not a good idea in these forums, just as it was not in the old forum.

Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote