SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-07, 05:05 PM   #16
ryuzu
Navy Dude

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

This is a good addition - thanks!

Let's hope enough Japanese material can be found to make an equivalent.

Also, might worth looking at limiting ranges so that you can only get the stations near to US/Japanese territories.

r.
ryuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 05:19 PM   #17
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Your brilliant!!! Will it 'fade' out the farther I get from the USA? I'm sure this is the first of many radio stations to come. Did I tell you, your brilliant??? Thanks for all the hard work! I've got the Guardfish enroute to Guam to drop off some agent, listening to the radio station the whole way...
clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 05:46 PM   #18
E.Hartmann
Soundman

Downloads: 0

GOD! Dont even have game yet and mods are coming out! Damit! Ok Direct2Drive here I come.....
E.Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 05:54 PM   #19
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

The range of the broad cast can easily be modified in the Radio Folder of the mod its a script called "Radio"(notepad) open that and you will see this

[CHANNEL]
Name=CBS NEWS
Folder=CBS NEWS
Freq=30
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:34.05,-118.22:100000

the 100000 is the range of the transmitter, play with that number if you want to reduce the range.

Unload the mod in JSGME, modify that range to what you want, save, and reinstall the mod with JSGME

Have fun and thanks for all the kudos

@ Soviet Warlord, I cracked your code it says "ARK ROYAL SIGHTED QUADRANT AF12 BEARING 196 SPEED 20KTS SET COURSE TO INTERCEPT"

Last edited by CaptainCox; 03-24-07 at 06:09 PM.
CaptainCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 05:58 PM   #20
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Seems easy enough! Any short-wave radio experts out there know the kind of range a stateside radio station would have? I'm sure atmosphereic disturbances are not coded in the game!
clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 06:58 PM   #21
Banquet
Machinist's Mate

I wonder if there are any recordings of Tokyo Rose? It would be awesome to have a frequency for that!
Banquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 07:02 PM   #22
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13

Doing some tests in game with a radio station at Los Angeles' latitude and longitude, the power portion of the radio.ini line

Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:34.05,-118.22:100000

is in nautical miles.

With my created radio station in L.A. and a power of 100, I had to sail to right off the coast within 100 miles of the the approximate latitude and longitude to tune in the station.

You'll be able to tune to the frequency when out of range, but you'll get the static noise. Once you get within range, the station will come in. Cool thing was when I tuned it in a program already in progress was picked up.
tedhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 07:07 PM   #23
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton
Seems easy enough! Any short-wave radio experts out there know the kind of range a stateside radio station would have? I'm sure atmosphereic disturbances are not coded in the game!
An idea would be to reproduce radio washington (or whatever station you want) as many smaller stations in allied control. If you are way out to sea, you won't pick up anything, but as you get closer to allied control land, the station will come in. Broadcast locations could even shift as the war goes on because you can set broadcast start and end dates. Because as it is, radio washington can be picked up anywhere.

Tokyo rose recordings are hard to come by. I'd say we'd have to shoot for at least 20 to make it worth while.
Old 03-24-07, 07:10 PM   #24
Rykaird
Weps

Downloads: 36

This is a fantastic mod - great immersion!

Quick question - I seem to be getting two tracks playing simultaneously - e.g., a variety piece and an unrelated music piece, or two news items playing at once.

Is this on purpose, because of the difficulty in tuning in far away radio stations? Or maybe from time compression?
Rykaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 07:17 PM   #25
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykaird
This is a fantastic mod - great immersion!

Quick question - I seem to be getting two tracks playing simultaneously - e.g., a variety piece and an unrelated music piece, or two news items playing at once.

Is this on purpose, because of the difficulty in tuning in far away radio stations? Or maybe from time compression?
This is from the file Radio_track.wav above the events folder.

I suggest changing it by copying the Gramophone noise.wav in the \data\sound directory and pasting it there and then renaming it to Radio_track.wav. It's just loud enough to hear the static to know you've tuned something in and have the radio on, but it won't be so loud that you can hear it during broadcasts.
Old 03-24-07, 09:04 PM   #26
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

I also seem to be having issues, that are Time Compression related. I keep having the same track repeat over and over (the beechnut gum commerical). I fixed it by exiting to the menu, turning off music in sound menu, going back in game, then exiting to menu agian, re-enabling music via the sound menu.

Also...is there a way to kill the default background music (the default music that plays when the radio isnt on)?? Just like the original version of SH3 the default music is tied to the music slider that is also tied to the radio and grammaphone. Very irritating when I want to run silent and I have the default track blasting away...really takes away from the immersion factor.
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 03:55 AM   #27
Dude
Seaman

How do we choose the frequency in the radio???

For example I am inside the sub.I open the radio,I see the old fashioned radio,I can see the play,stop,forward,backward buttons but no choice to set a frequency.

Perhaps due to time and tiredness last night I couldn't focus on screen
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 05:24 AM   #28
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Not sure about why one gets double tracks or repeats. Could be the game itself that is still not optimized here. When i tried this out yesterday the "LIVE" news would go on and the tune playing previous to the news would fade down but still be there faint in the background, but faint enough not to disturb. Might need to figure a script that turns that off completely in case of a news event. Have to look into it.

Regarding operating the Radio simply hit the play button, then scan the frequency with the fast forward button, it will then scan automatically till it finds a station and stop there, if you want to go back simply hit the fast reverse button. To turn of the radio hit play again and the "orig" game music will come back.
Old 03-25-07, 05:35 AM   #29
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faamecanic
Also...is there a way to kill the default background music (the default music that plays when the radio isnt on)?? Just like the original version of SH3 the default music is tied to the music slider that is also tied to the radio and grammaphone. Very irritating when I want to run silent and I have the default track blasting away...really takes away from the immersion factor.
If you don't like the in-game music playing whenever the radio is turned off, you can disable it by renaming your Music folder located in your Data\Sound folder. This will stop the vanilla in-game music from playing.
Old 03-25-07, 07:14 AM   #30
Mylander
Torpedoman

Downloads: 21

Standing ovation! Fantastic!

Mylander