SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-15, 03:09 PM   #1
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
bullhorn [REL] Bordinstrumente_Patch

Current version 2.3
-------------------

Gentlemen,

as a homage to oakgrooveīs Bordinstrumente-Mod and Captain Americaīs Instruments Patch I renamed my old Manometer Mod to "Bordinstrumte Patch" in order to better describe the changes. The data are based upon Diving Duckīs Open Hatch Mod and I tried to merge the improvements of the Big Mods GWX, LSH and NYGM into one modifikation, so every player of these special Big Mods should benefit from the improvements from each other.

First of all, Iīd like to thank the Devs of Ubisoftīs really great U-Boat-Simulation and, of course, all modders in the huge commnunity all over the world, which keep that old game still alive and remaining exiting. Be it Captain America, be it oakgroove, be it Diving Duck or the whole modder teams of the Big Mods, every single improvement was I great input for my personal playing experience. In a certain way, this is an attempt to give back a little bit of what I have received from all of you. Last but not least I like to thank Skwasjer for his marvellous S3D-tool. Without it, I couldnīt have done all these changes, so once again: Thanks, Skwasjer!

There is a quite extensive description of the content of the mod in the documentation folder, regrettably only in german at the moment. Because of all the pictures in it, I hope it will be self-explaing. Nevertheless Iīll try to describe the work in the following:

1. Authentic 300kg/cmē Manometer.

The compressed air gauge (i.e. Manometer) was a little bit offset by stock. The maximum pressure of compressed air (CA) was 205kg/cmē in reality, but the original dial only went to 200kg/cmē. Oakgroove then exchanged the dial from a modern 600kg/cmē disk, but the real value of 200kg/cmē maintained. Beyond, oakgroove had to deal with the different minimum / maximum indicator positions of both 2D- and 3D-gauges. Thatīs why he changed the numbers into a non-continous row. In fact, this manometer went from -30 to +630 kg/cmē. As a result, the instrument was rather useless. The kaleun could see if CA was used, but didnīt know how much nor did he know how much reserve left (really important in real life!!!).

When I was trying to figure out the function, I found some pictures of U-995 in Laboe as well as from U-505 in Chicago, where original instruments (250kg resp. 300kg) were mounted. Then I found a picture from a matching manometer in the internet, corrected the values in the .sim-files and now we finally have a compressed air gauge that shows the correct values!

You may take a look onto the discussion of the Marinesims-Forum about that mod, at least to have a look onto some explaining pictures:

http://www.marinesims.de/wbb2/thread...0e0424902a4b13

If you use this mod, you will find out how sophisticated the consumption of compressed air is simulated ingame. You will find out which amount of CA you will need in which situation. Once recorded, you will be able to estimate the remaining diving / surfacing ability of your submersible boat. In fact this information was as important as the status of the hull, the engines, the batteries or the oxygene (remember "The Boat") for the boatīs surviving ability.

2. O2-Dial in command room.

Since h.sie once changed the CO2 gauge into a more important and more real O2-Instrument in his patch 1.5 et seqq., he added a new graphic for the "FBAC"-(slideout) dials. Unfortunately this was only for the 2D-GUI. Iīve integrated the dial into the 3D command room, so now, both 2D- and 3D-instroments have the same design (and show the same values). I higly recommend the use of h.sieīs patch 1.6B. Without it, this change would remain useless.

3. Authentic 125m / 200m depth gauge.

The research of historical sources (books, films, KTBs etc.) led to the result, that both type VII and IX boats originally had ("only!") a 200m depth gauge mounted in the command room. Depth gauges of the same range were also located in the bow and stern room, as well as in the conning tower.

Up to now, there is no proof that the well known 260m depth gauge was authentic. The only thing I do know from an exibition about the making of the movie "The Boat" is the depth gauge beeing artificially made from a station clock! Of course, if there come to know sources about the authenticity of that 260m depth gauge, please let us know.

Another thing is how the crew could have measured depths below 200m - and such deep depths were mentioned quite often. It seems that there was a second small "depth gauge" in the command room, what actually was nothing else than another manometer in technical sense. E.g. we know that the pumps had pressure gauges to measure the water pressure outside the hull. So maybe, if the measuring range was sufficient (what at least I have never seen yet) one could have read the true depth from that instrument.

Ingame, the player now can read deeper depths than 200m only from the small numeric display! Thatīs not really authentic either but gives a feeling about the historical way of controlling the boat in such deep depths and, btw, shows that usually the boats didnīt dive in such spheres. What we know from Ulrich Gabler, former CE (LI) of U-564, founder of a bureau of U-boat construction and professor of the Hamburg University in the 50īs or 60īs, the U-boats usually evaded from depth charges at depths between 160m and 180m, but not deeper! That was sufficient, at least in the early phase of the war. Controlling the boat at depths below 200m isnīt possible anymore by clicking on the dial, but only by giving the orders "D" or "S", what technically means "rudder hard up" resp. "rudder hard down". Please be aware, that the construction depth was 80m to 100m, and there is no guarantee by the dockyard to reach any deeper depth. Dive at depths below the guaranteed depth at your own risk!

The ingame 400m depth gauge of the type XXI seems to be authentic. Concerning the type II boats, we know the "Vesikko" boat in Suomi / Finland which in fact was the first prototype of the type II. This boat is equipped with a 60m and a 125m depth gauge. The construction and the diving ability of the type II seem to be unchanged, so the type IIA and IIB boats pobably had the same gauges. For the type IIC and IID the hull was improved to reach deeper depths, so maybe these boats used the 200m gauge too, but this is only speculation. Unfortunately I have found only one photographic template for the 125m depth gauge but none for the 60m gauge. If someone could help out, this would be very appreciated.

4. Depth rudder gauge

When I was wondering about which indicator was authentic, the one from oakgroove or the one from GWX, I found the answer: both! The one from oakgroove was used in the type VII boats, the other in the type IX, like in U-505 (which was the original, I assume). The type II dial and indicator from oakgroove remained untouched, and as I didnīt have more information, the ones from GWX are still used for the typeXXI. Beyond, the markings for the typVII dials were changed to assymetric values (-35/25, -30/30, like in the original, thanks goes to wurmonkel), and the indicators were a litle bit different, too (the after beeing shorter). Many thanks to JPB for this model.

5. Rudder gauge

The maximum rudder position for all boats is +/- 40°. This is not a new findiung, Philipp Thomsen already has published a mod in 2008 called Thomsens Dials mod. He changed the display value of the type VII and IX boats from 35° to 40°, beeing set when "hard to..." is ordered. But in fact, the real values werenīt continous, so the rudder position did not match with the shown numbers on the dial. I calibrated the dial, so if you order e.g. 30° by clicking on the gauge now, the rudder will turn to 30° and the helmsman will give the appropriate answer.

The rudder gauge of the type XXI already has a maximum value of 40°, the .sim-values were just a little bit corrected for the indicator exactly matching with the numbers.

6. Speed gauge

This instrument shows the speed in knots (nautical miles per hour, in german: "Seemeilen"), but the game calculates with meter per second. The correct conversion for the ranges of both ingame instruments are: 20kn=10,29m/s and 24kn=12,35m/s. All instruments were checked and corrected, if necessary.

7. Control lights

Every boat has charge control lamps in the command room above the machine telegraphs which indicate if the engines are running "normal" or if they are charging the batteries. Because this function is restricted to the starbord engine, only the right light turns from green to red when battery charging is ordered. Unfortunately the lamps were completely switched off in the typ IX command room. In the conning towers, where lamps atop ot the telegraphs are situated too, they were showing reversed lights: red for normal, green for charging status. Now they are glowing in the same colours like in the command room.

Furthermore, every boat is equipped with battery warning lamps, mounted below the battery gauges. Originally they only worked in the type VII boat, but here only the lamp sockets were enlighten, not the lamps themselves. Now, at least the lamps glow how they should. Although, the lamp sockets couldnīt get switched off... I donīt know how to do that.

8. Battery gauge

The dial values as well as the indicators are finally exactly adapted to the dial disk and positioned into the middle.

9. 3D TDC range gauge.

Due to mixed .sim-values, the 3D range gauge couldnīt be used at all. Only few mods have been corrected this bug partly. I have corrected the gauge of every TDC.

10. 25m Depth gauge

There have been some slight adaptions to synchronise 2D- and 3D-display.

11. Amperemeter

The original Amperemeter dials in the radio station of the type II boat are mirrored. Therefore, the old "neutral" graphics from Manometer Mod (oakgroove) were used again to "heal" that small deficit. Thatīs why those graphics are used for the battery gauge again. The offset glasses have already been repaired by Diving Duckīs Open Hatch Mod.

12. Controlling instruments

We have to distinguish between pure display instruments which only can be read, and controlling instruments, which allow handling. These are the controlling instruments in the boat:

1. Machine telegraph
2. Compass
3. Side rudder
4. Depth gauge instruments

In reality, the knotmeter was a pure display instruments, the runnig step was generally set by the machine telegraph. Due to controversial discussion about the ability of ordering special engine records, the knotmeter stays controllable. Besides, the great idea of LGN1 about controlling the maximum speed ("3x crazy", "3x Wahnsinnige") via the maximum value of the knotmeter should be maintained.

13. Depth gauges in the conning tower.

Originally there was only one interior graphic for all turms, but now every Uboat class has its own appropriate depth gauge - with an appropriate indicator!

14. Mirrored machine telegraphs

Due toe La Vacheīs finding (nochmals danke!), the orientation of the starbord engine telegraph was changed, as the propeller shafts were counter-rotating.

15. Revolution counters.

Same same with the revolution counters: Both now show mirrowed values. The new graphics for both instruments were designed by wurmonkel, many thanks to him!

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8x...e_patch_2.3.7z

Some work remains, e.g. 60m depth gauge for the type II, television compass, side rudders and so on, but for now, the most important changes are done. Have fun and enjoy the game!
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15, 03:47 PM   #2
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
wolf_howl15

Nice thing!
But i don't like the glare spots on the protective glass. It's not glare.

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15, 03:57 PM   #3
Leitender
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
CONGRATS on this exquisit work L/O !

In fact I have followed your work though I would think it is a mod, not a patch (which would alter the .exe or .dll).

WELL DONE!
Thank you for your friendly words, Blitzkrieg. Iīm sure itīs far from perfect but a small attempt to get closer to historical accuracy. The name itself btw is a merge of Oakgrooves "Bordinstrumente_mod" and Captain Americaīs "Instruments patch", both from 2005. I donīt know if they were aware of that distinction. At least I was not.
Old 06-22-15, 03:59 PM   #4
Leitender
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post
Nice thing!
But i don't like the glare spots on the protective glass. It's not glare.
Iīm very glad to read such words from you The screenshots were taken when using Ahnenerbeīs incredible WideGui mod. I didnīt change the glasses.
Old 06-22-15, 04:01 PM   #5
Leitender
Planesman

Quote:
I may offer you my help in this. Just speak openly.
The above text is more or less completly translated from the documentation...
Old 06-22-15, 04:11 PM   #6
Leitender
Planesman

Quote:
You are welcome!

If you give it a go and wish so I can supply an English translation in only a couple days.
Of course, please feel free! For me, only the above text took weeks to translate (I donīt give too much on automatic translators. Too much babelfish). So I really appriciate your offer!

Greetings.
Old 06-22-15, 04:22 PM   #7
Leitender
Planesman

Quote:
In order.

I will do that then.

Since I do not have the .doc files, I will just send you the translated texts per mail. Is that okay with you? You would then have to change the texts in your .doc files.
Thank you in advance!
Old 06-23-15, 06:54 AM   #8
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155

Very nice dials ! Do I have to install a special mod before ? This mod seems to be an improvment of another one ... Excuse me if I missed something, I don't speak english very well ...
Fahnenbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-15, 08:39 AM   #9
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitender View Post
The screenshots were taken when using Ahnenerbeīs incredible WideGui mod. I didnīt change the glasses.
I think Anvart mean the O2-Dial in command room (first Screenshot) and in the FBAC Slideout!
Old 06-23-15, 11:07 AM   #10
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I noticed the enlarged dials in the gui. Does this mod work with MAGUI F?

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-15, 12:19 PM   #11
Leitender
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn View Post
Very nice dials ! Do I have to install a special mod before ? This mod seems to be an improvment of another one
Thank you too for your kind words, Fahnenbohm. I made a bunch of adaptions to special big mods (GWX, NYGM, LSH) resp. one GUI mod (only Ahnenerbe atm), but generally there is no other mod needed to activate the Bordinstrumente_patch. Simply use the "stock" version of that patch and normally everything should work. The only thing that one should use is h.sieīs patch 1.6B because of the O2-gauge, on which this mod is adapted.
Old 06-23-15, 12:22 PM   #12
Leitender
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
I noticed the enlarged dials in the gui. Does this mod work with MAGUI F?
Iīm sorry but I didnīt find yet time to create a compatible version for MaGUI F. But I should do this, I know. For the moment, you cannot use makmanīs GUI with the Bordinstrumente_patch. The pictures with the enlarged 2D gauges are taken from Ahnenerbeīs mod.
Old 06-23-15, 12:44 PM   #13
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Thank you for clarifying. Beautiful work!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-15, 12:56 AM   #14
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

This mod looks really outstanding
Reading your explanations I see it's designed for use with Ahnenerbe's GUI and vanilla GWX GUI - included readme in German is black magic for me .
I hope you will create versions for another GUIs, like MaGUI F and especially for incoming MaGUI HAHD, will you? This mod is absolutely worth of it.
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-15, 02:21 AM   #15
Leitender
Planesman

Hi jaxa,

many thanks for your praise! My conscience is getting worse and worse not to have created a version for makmanīs GUI mod, especially because he is always so broad-minded! Letīs see what I can do in the next days...

Tags
bordinstrumente leitender