Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-14-08, 08:00 AM   #1
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Default BoB II still up to fight back against BoB:SoW?

Looking at the latest stuff from the BDG team, I'd say yes.
http://shockwaveproductions.com/foru...er=asc&start=0

Absolutely beautifull models.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 09:18 AM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

SoW: BoB is a new game,
you havent seen the final product yet, so you cant compare it.
but what I've seen BOBII is not match against it. in terms of graphical content.
on other content I cannot rate BoBII as I havent played it.

BoB2 seeying screenies and vids I can compare it as a Mix of IL2 and CFS3 for example the ground texture, and other ground model stuff.

so of you would say versus IL2 ''yes'', but versus SoW ''No''.

and to be honest, I could actually care less about How detailed cars are..the only thing I would see is a shape that is going to peppered if I'm attacking it. and the only thing that would confirm it is a text message saying ''car destroyed''

my views about it.

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 01-14-08 at 09:29 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 09:45 AM   #3
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Yeh, I give you that the ground is the basic flat we usually see in flightsims against IL2's "3D" landscape, but it's not that bad if you use a highres terrain mod, which makes it look almost photorealistic from high alt. BoB concentrates on flat, but high resolution land whereas IL2 is more of an low res, 3D land. Both have their advantages depending of the altitude you are watching them. Other than that, IMO, the graphics are a notch better than in IL2, same goes for some of the models which have more details to them.

I hope Oleg has learned from IL2, as there's not too much to do to make BoB:SoW the best of the best. AI, sounds, effects. That's three things to change, tho one can take out the sounds off, as IIRC, I heard Oleg will be using the same technic he used for IL2.

Oh well, time will tell how it works out.
Old 01-14-08, 10:05 AM   #4
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

excellent graphics, Thing is oleg has kept everything so close to his chest,you just dont know what he is going to throw out when SOW:BOB is released.We might be in for a few surprises.

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 03:12 PM   #5
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

I find it important to stress here that focus in Bob2 is on depth and gameplay, so please dont compare it to other games based on graphics. It has very nice graphics, that should be enough.

Ground objects arent going to blow you away, but there are tons of them, they are at the places you expect them to be and evolve through the dynamic campaign.

Imo it makes no sense to compare those two games because no one knows when SOW will be there but Bob2 is the perfect alternative for everyone who wants do do some great Battle of Britain flying NOW:

can order it today
cheap as can be
reasonable hardware reqs
very good flights sim
excellent campaign

My opinion: you cant go wrong with this game.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 03:18 PM   #6
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

I'm not sure about BoB:SoW

Thing is he says he is going to make it more open so players can add planes etc.

Pity he couldn't give us the tool for that in IL-2 now as some planes at least could do with a revamp.
Old 01-14-08, 03:28 PM   #7
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

I'm playing the BOBII patch 2.07 right now. Very entertaining. The low alt terrain could use some work, but it is not bad, thats for sure. The medium to high alt shows off a photorelistic terrain, and this is where you fight anyway.

And did I mention the clouds are probably the best done in any sim I've seen?

Just my 2 cents on BoB2.

-S

PS. Between BOB2 and IL2 - BOB2 is hands down the better of the two. IL2 with its added packs has a lot of aircraft and such, but you get into a fight, everyone is shot down, and whats left? Nothing. In BOB2, you could get jumped again, and again, and again. A fully dynamic campaign 'has' to be in a sim like this. Try putting a 1000 aircraft in the sky in IL2 - not gonna happen, but it can happen in BoB2.

PPS. Its a mess up there in BOB2 - just the way I like it! Big massive swirling dogfights!

PPPS. I should post a screenshot or two.

PPPPS. Here is a thread for some screenshots at Alt - http://shockwaveproductions.com/foru...pic.php?t=9303
Old 01-14-08, 03:43 PM   #8
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
PPS. Its a mess up there in BOB2 - just the way I like it! Big massive swirling dogfights!
Amen to that. Just had a sortie with ~600 planes in the area, fought my time just to realise I was left alone in the middle of 15 or so 109s.

Oh, one thing that BoB II shines in is the multiskin thingy! Great to see different camoschemes on the planes, commanders have their own etc.
Old 01-14-08, 04:31 PM   #9
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

If Oleg can take the sounds, multi-skin, radio (strictly that comes under sound but, bah), AI, effects and number of units in the sky at once from BOBII, then he's got a winner.

Until then, you'll find me terrorising the lighthouse keeper at the Needles
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 04:44 PM   #10
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:
Amen to that. Just had a sortie with ~600 planes in the area, fought my time just to realise I was left alone in the middle of 15 or so 109s.

Oh, one thing that BoB II shines in is the multiskin thingy! Great to see different camoschemes on the planes, commanders have their own etc.
Well, did they get you or what? I'd be high tailing it out of there as fast as that crate could fly!

-S

PS. You still with me? <...silence...>

PPS. Fine little touches in game too - bailed out this weekend, thinking no problem - I'll fight another day - your guy jumps, goes for his chute, pulls it, nothing happens! He screams, after a little while of flailing in the the air, and then SPLASH! Every other sim, your parachute works every time, but not in this one. Almost pays to ride the plane in if possible.

Last edited by SUBMAN1; 01-14-08 at 04:58 PM.
SUBMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 07:13 PM   #11
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, did they get you or what? I'd be high tailing it out of there as fast as that crate could fly!

-S

PS. You still with me? <...silence...>

PPS. Fine little touches in game too - bailed out this weekend, thinking no problem - I'll fight another day - your guy jumps, goes for his chute, pulls it, nothing happens! He screams, after a little while of flailing in the the air, and then SPLASH! Every other sim, your parachute works every time, but not in this one. Almost pays to ride the plane in if possible.
Yeh, they got me. Tho, bailed out to safety.

Re: PPS, yes, there's nice touches in the game, like firetruck driving around when you attack an airfield.
Old 01-14-08, 08:39 PM   #12
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Well, might as well share some mood shots. Here is one:

Old 01-14-08, 08:42 PM   #13
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Dang, have never flown when it's that dark!
Old 01-14-08, 11:46 PM   #14
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Dang, have never flown when it's that dark!
Yep - time to go home. Can't see much anymore.
Old 01-15-08, 01:24 AM   #15
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Noticed the side of the truck had "FAGS" written on it, and I thought to myself, "What the hell is this?!"

Forgot it's in Britain, lol. Thought the devs were some sorts of perverts.:rotfl:
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote