SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-03-17, 10:35 AM   #1
Winjer
Swabbie

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
Default Changing sides, play as british.

Has anyone done anything on playing as British in SH3?

I know there is stuff for SH4, and most of that is set as playing for the allies, but IMO SH4 isn't half the game that 3 is - I have played this for hours and hours, but would really like to play as British.

If nothing is done, can anyone point me in the direction of how to mod it?

I have managed to switch the sides on the single player missions easily enough, by swapping the side values in the .mis files.

All at sea on how I might mod the campaign though, which is what I would really like to do.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-17, 12:29 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Winjer
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 01:39 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

Winjer!after a ten year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 02:56 PM   #4
Winjer
Swabbie

Default When I go deep...

I go deep! (Kids)

Thanks!
Old 01-04-18, 07:18 AM   #5
Winjer
Swabbie

Default Some small progress...

I have made some baby steps...

1. created basic English gauges (in feet, even if the first Lt still insists on reading everything out in meters) and made a terrible and to be improved job on some German translation. Laughable given that most translations were available in the tdc.

2. Modified the slide out dials mod to a single slide out of the compass. I could have updated the depth and other gauges, but IMO the main one is the compass)

3. Modified menu and background screens.

4. Removed officer hats.

5. Work in progress on a skin to make the type 7 look a bit like a u class. (It seems to fool the Luftwaffe!)

6. Created single missions where you play as British, and crew configs with English names.

I plan two “campaigns” at the moment, North sea / Norway and Med / Malta. Each will consist of sequential missions, and should start and end at base, the idea being that you play them in order, and on the “to do” list is to look at updating the crew config and possibly mission dates after each.

I included a pull out sub grid for use with the mission files. (Based on Tycho’s excellent grid XXXX - I just used the largest grid though, thinking it didn't matter if on a smaller grid the right hand side is unused).

I think that the ordered single missions might be a bit more appropriate than a campaign, as royal navy subs often did more specific work (eg agent insertion) than grid patrol. Which is kind of handy as I haven't a clue on modifying the campaign.

Is anyone interested in the work so far? I have worked on stock only, as every time I tried a modified mission with GWX it crashed, and all the other supermods are new to me. Plus, this royal navy mod doesn't really integrate with other mods very well. For example, there are loads of lovely different dials and interiors, but you can't really mix and match German mods with this one - hence the single slide out.
Old 01-14-18, 06:48 PM   #6
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

Yes, this mod interests me.
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 07:41 AM   #7
Winjer
Swabbie

Hi Yellowfin, I'll post something playable as soon as I can.
Old 02-05-18, 04:45 PM   #8
Winjer
Swabbie

Default Some questions...

In trying to convert the 7a into a U class, I have hit the following snags:

1. Compartments, tubes. The U class had no stern tube. Editing basic cfg to remove it causes crashes on loading save games, even though they start fine. I wondered if this was to do with the crew compartments, but it doesn't seem possible to change these in the cfg - even with changes, it loads all compartments as usual.

2. UV channels and Blender - it seems that blender can't handle multiple UV channels, or at least, when I import the 3d model, the uv maps are all messed up - has anyone used Blender for the modelling - and if so, any pointers?

Two pics, the U class exterior and interior so far...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg int1.jpg (16.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg ext1.jpg (86.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-05-20, 10:58 PM   #9
Gardjinn
Swabbie

Downloads: 18
Default wanted to know how you did

did you finish this mod if so what did you call it
Gardjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 02:49 AM   #10
U301
Officer

Downloads: 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winjer View Post
I have made some baby steps...

1. created basic English gauges (in feet, even if the first Lt still insists on reading everything out in meters) and made a terrible and to be improved job on some German translation. Laughable given that most translations were available in the tdc.

2. Modified the slide out dials mod to a single slide out of the compass. I could have updated the depth and other gauges, but IMO the main one is the compass)

3. Modified menu and background screens.

4. Removed officer hats.

5. Work in progress on a skin to make the type 7 look a bit like a u class. (It seems to fool the Luftwaffe!)

6. Created single missions where you play as British, and crew configs with English names.

I plan two “campaigns” at the moment, North sea / Norway and Med / Malta. Each will consist of sequential missions, and should start and end at base, the idea being that you play them in order, and on the “to do” list is to look at updating the crew config and possibly mission dates after each.

I included a pull out sub grid for use with the mission files. (Based on Tycho’s excellent grid XXXX - I just used the largest grid though, thinking it didn't matter if on a smaller grid the right hand side is unused).

I think that the ordered single missions might be a bit more appropriate than a campaign, as royal navy subs often did more specific work (eg agent insertion) than grid patrol. Which is kind of handy as I haven't a clue on modifying the campaign.

Is anyone interested in the work so far? I have worked on stock only, as every time I tried a modified mission with GWX it crashed, and all the other supermods are new to me. Plus, this royal navy mod doesn't really integrate with other mods very well. For example, there are loads of lovely different dials and interiors, but you can't really mix and match German mods with this one - hence the single slide out.
Not for me!
Gute Jagd!
KUrtz
U301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 09:14 AM   #11
Aquelarrefox
Commander

Downloads: 159

One of the interesting things the game could add like a playable Italian sub
Old 06-06-20, 06:06 PM   #12
pabbi
Subsim Overlord

Downloads: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winjer View Post
In trying to convert the 7a into a U class, I have hit the following snags:

1. Compartments, tubes. The U class had no stern tube. Editing basic cfg to remove it causes crashes on loading save games, even though they start fine. I wondered if this was to do with the crew compartments, but it doesn't seem possible to change these in the cfg - even with changes, it loads all compartments as usual.

2. UV channels and Blender - it seems that blender can't handle multiple UV channels, or at least, when I import the 3d model, the uv maps are all messed up - has anyone used Blender for the modelling - and if so, any pointers?

Two pics, the U class exterior and interior so far...
Take a look at this mod, it changes type 7b to type 7a, like removing aft torpedoes. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1872

On the top of the world
pabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 09:41 AM   #13
Winjer
Swabbie

Default Updates

Three years and counting into it...

Calling it Silent Service Royal Navy, or SSRN.

I have a U class, an S class, and run a PHP/Mysql webserver to manage the crew / experience and promotion. It automatically generates the next mission, and assigns a random patrol grid etc, starting from where you last docked. This is just generating crew_config_ and mission files which you then deploy via jsgme.

I have redone quite a lot of the interior, and made a new GUI.

It has got quite playable, but I keep having problems with saved games not loading, and tbh, I haven't got anywhere near to making an uploadable version owing to crashes.

I only get time sporadically, depending on kids, work, etc.

I'll have a look at that mod pabbi , thanks.