Old 07-27-15, 08:09 PM   #46
Julian
Sailor man

Downloads: 271
Uploads: 0
Default sh! --Sound problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_c2911 View Post
I didnt know where else to post this as there is no Silent Hunter 1 forum anymore. Anyway I have managed to find lodged away in some box somewhere at my mom and dads house after more than a decade my copy of Silent Hunter 1. The game that started it all for me with sub simming. We all know it wasn't going to work on XP so why bother when you have Silent Hunter 3 and 4. Well last night I did bother just for the nostalgia and I was pleasantly suprised how easy it was. I used D-Fend Reloaded which is DOS Box 0.74 with a simple frontend UI so people who are not literate in DOS commands can get on with it. The game installed flawlessly. The game didnt run initially due to it needing the CD but this was also fixed by copying the BUD folder on the CD into the the C:\SILENT directory. Then just change shpath.ini (also found in C:\SILENT directory) to read exactly as follows:
BUD =BUD\
DATA =DATA\
ART =ART\
SFX =SFX\
SPEECH =SPEECH\
CINES =CINES\
SCEN =SCEN\
SAVE =SAVE\
Configured the sound with the default settings and away I went. I'm in command of the USS Shark I think. I'm heading out towards Southern Japan. I have to say though it makes me appreciate Silent Hunter 3 and the later games so much more. The graphics were cutting edge for the time but now they definitely look dated. Controls are not as good either but I remember it being so much easier. Nevermind its still a classic.
I have a Realtek HD Audio card. Having problems setting it up to play Silent Hunter 1.

What Default settings did you do or use to make it play sound??
I tried to make changes in the DIG and MDI FILES, but doesn't recognize or play.

julian
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-15, 09:51 PM   #47
Julian
Sailor man

Default SH1 - Mission 6-pack Mod

I just downloaded the Mission 6-pack mod for SH1.
It says to Extract into your Silent/Custom/ directory.

Where is the Silent/Custom/directory in SH1 located or listed??
Old 07-28-15, 09:10 AM   #48
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

Ahoy Julian It is right where it says it is. I have silent hunter 1 installed exactly how it is described in the dosbox instructions on my C drive. So if you did it the same way go to the drive the game is on then Games folder then silent folder and then Presto you can see your Custom folder. After you unzip files to custom folder start the game. select missions screen and you will see a spot for custom missions
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 09:51 PM   #49
Julian
Sailor man

Default SH1 - NO CUSTOM DIRECTORY

Seems My version of Silent Hunter 1 is missing something.

I thought I had Silent Hunter Commander Edition v1.3 installed on my old games hard drive.

I could still be wrong.

There is no Custom game directory for the mods.

When I got the game running, I checked the Menu selections.

I pressed the CREDITS button and watched the credits scroll up.

It started with title SILENT HUNTER followed by the version - V1.00.
If Version 1.00 is what I got, then I'm out of luck.

I got the CD of Silent Hunter Commander Edition v1.3. But I'm having a compatibility problem with Windows 7, regarding 64-bit /32-bit versions.
I got this posted in an earlier post here.

This is the only one I remember buying. Maybe I didn't do a complete install. There are still the 3 Patrol Disks included on the disc. These should have been installed all together.
I don't see any extras in folders or files.

So!!! As it seems....I'm not sure where I stand with this dilemma.

I was wondering, if possible, a Copy and Paste procedure like we do transferring files to a memory stick or external hard drive, whether it could be done here on Subsims forum.

If you have the Silent Hunter Commander Edition v1.3 installed on your computer, would it be possible to copy and paste here, then I could copy and paste to my hard drive.

maybe It's too much to ask.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-15, 06:35 AM   #50
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

I am running win 7 64 bit. The only way I could get it to run was to install it on a win xp computer then take the resulting folder and do what you said copy it and paste it into win 7. Then use dosbox to make it run perfectly. But that said with SH 4 there is no comparison. Sh4 is light years ahead. I am not sure about copywrite stuff. But about 8 yrs ago I was chatting with a guy from ID software about Quake 1. When he found out I was talking about the original game they let me download it for free. So that would be up to this site. The folder itself is 200 mb.
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 11:16 AM   #51
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Ubisoft owns Silent Hunter I - SHCE now and they are very protective of the copyright.

I have a zip or rar file of my entire SHCE install from a Win ME computer that also includes the BUD folder, so I just decompress that and install it that way. I still have the SHCE CD so I'm legal with the zips installation method. Much easier : ).

Install it to a friend's pre-XP computer if you can, do the updates - patches - if you don't have SHCE, zip that SILENT folder, then unzip it to your Win 7 computer is the easiest method. Be sure to copy the BUD folder over for the no CD fix.

Regarding the 'patches'.... they ARE available. You can patch SH1 to v.2, then v.3, and then have SHCE using this upgrade method.

The patches are here at Subsim in Downloads. I have them too.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 07-30-15 at 10:55 AM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-15, 12:50 AM   #52
Julian
Sailor man

Default SH1 - V1.3 Patch

I downloaded the V1.3 patch for my SH1 V1.00.
I unzipped it.
Went to install it and guess what came up???
That damn Window 7 compatibility 64-bit/32-bit crap again.

It just won't let me get in to install.
Wish there was some way of disabling this Windows 7 compatibility pop up box....so I could just install straight and forward without interference.

Then there is the sound issue.
I'm looking at the instruction sheet and files, I really don't know how to setup the default settings to get sound in the game.
My old Windows XP has a Sound Blaster card in it and was much easier to setup.
But this Realtek HD Audio card, I don't know. There isn't much information as to what setup it requires.

For now I am totally frustrated in trying. I know it's only a minor problem that could be solved at the click of a button, but when a Windows program is telling you what programs you can install or not, then there is a limit to it.
I would like to go back to my old WINDOWS XP...it was USER FRIENDLY.
Old 07-30-15, 10:51 AM   #53
aanker
Pacific Thunder

My best advice is in the post above.

If you insist, try telling it Win 98 with 32 bit, and run as Administrator. That's all I got. Sorry.

Double check you are following the instructions exactly as he lays them out in the tutorial.

Aren't you the guy with Silent Hunter Commanders Edition install on an old Hard Drive you have access to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
........ Other option for SH.
=============
I have come across another option regarding Silent Hunter 1.
Hopefully it will work.

When my old Windows XP computer died, a few years ago, I had, at that time, installed a lot of Dos and Windows games on the hard drive.
A friend of mine was able to save the hard drive and hook it up to my Windows 7 computer.
Now I have access to all the games and programs I had installed on it.

In my search, I found that I had installed Silent Hunter Commander Edition, along with other Dos/Window games, like Great Naval Battles North Atlantic 1939 -1943, and Wolfpack, etc.

With the the full install of Silent Hunter on my old hard drive, what steps would I need to do to get it running through DosBox???
Hook that up using the DVD wires if you don't have a blank space with wires for another drive and drag the SILENT folder over to your Win 7.

That really is all I got........

Last edited by aanker; 07-30-15 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-06-15, 04:13 PM   #54
scrapser
Captain

Downloads: 12

I have two computers that will run SH1 (and a host of other old classics). First, I built a custom Win98SE machine from as many new parts as I could find (this included a brand new case, PSU, MOBO, RAM, and SoundBlaster 5.1 soundcard. The rest I bought from a company that specializes in finding and warehousing new but obsolete hardware from old computer inventory that was never sold.

Second, I got lucky on eBay and found a brand new factory sealed Gateway P3 computer (and Mitsubishi Diamondtron 19" monitor) with Win98SE installed. It was weird recieving the Gateway from UPS...just like the old days. I opened the boxes to find everything brand spanking new, plastic wrapped and sealed. The case even had a Microsoft sticker on it stating, "Void if removed". LOL

If you like the older games, building a legacy machine is the best first option. My custom built has a GeForce 4 Ti 256MB, plus Voodoo 2 12 meg card in SLI. It cost me around $750. The brand new Gateway which I found some months later cost me $400 complete!
i7 920 CPU
TR 120 Extreme HS (lapped)
6 GB OCZ Platinum 1600 (8x175 = 1400)
BFG GTX 295
Silverstone DA1000W PSU
Sony GDM-FW900 24" Wide Screen CRT
WinXP Pro 32-bit
scrapser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 06:03 PM   #55
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427

Just for the record,

If it is v1.31 and with the Mission Editor is it safe to say that I have it all? Mission packs etc? The whole thing?

Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 07:49 PM   #56
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

1.31 is the commanders edition which should have all there is to it. But I'm not sure if there was a last patch for it, or if it was the final release.

[EDIT]According to the Subsim download section there is no official patch to be applied on top of v1.31 the commander's edition. But there is a download that fixes a map bug for the North and Southers Japan regions. If you encounter game-crashes when going there then that is also required. Simply extracting it to the DATA folder.

Last edited by Pisces; 01-05-16 at 07:54 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-16, 04:32 PM   #57
Wildcat
Engineer

Downloads: 69

Not sure if anyone cares, but if you have a jailbroken iPad and you are able to find a copy of dosbox for ipad (it's remarkably difficult to find, seems development of it was stopped) you can run SH1 or almost any other DOS based game on your ipad. It's pretty slick really. SH1 makes a good game for ipad, not too processor heavy and doesn't need a lot of complicated keyboard commands while playing.

edit.. correction, it appears they've republished it, but you have to use ifunbox to transfer data files into iDOS rather than using itunes file transfer. still, it works like a charm.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-16, 08:01 PM   #58
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
I downloaded the V1.3 patch for my SH1 V1.00.
I unzipped it.
Went to install it and guess what came up???
That damn Window 7 compatibility 64-bit/32-bit crap again.

It just won't let me get in to install.
Wish there was some way of disabling this Windows 7 compatibility pop up box....so I could just install straight and forward without interference.

Then there is the sound issue.
I'm looking at the instruction sheet and files, I really don't know how to setup the default settings to get sound in the game.
My old Windows XP has a Sound Blaster card in it and was much easier to setup.
But this Realtek HD Audio card, I don't know. There isn't much information as to what setup it requires.

For now I am totally frustrated in trying. I know it's only a minor problem that could be solved at the click of a button, but when a Windows program is telling you what programs you can install or not, then there is a limit to it.
I would like to go back to my old WINDOWS XP...it was USER FRIENDLY.
Regarding the bolded text in your post Quote above, install to a folder other than:
Program Files or Program Files (x86). (same with SH4 & Pacific Aces) Complications arise if you install games to Program Files or Program Files (x86).

For SH V1.0 you need to install the V1.3 patch that upgrades Silent Hunter (V1.0, V1.01, V1.11 or V1.2) to V1.3. Then the V1.31 patch that upgrades Silent Hunter to SHCE. ( I have the Commanders Edition so I didn't need to patch)

Make a folder called 'My Games' and install it there. I called mine 'GAMES'. The path is C:\GAMES\SILENT

You can make a Virtual drive in Win 7 and install XP on it according to some posts I've read. I haven't used that method.

The SH1.3 and SH1.31 patches are here at Subsim:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...?do=file&id=58
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...?do=file&id=59

Edited to clarify the versions necessary to update SH v1.0 to SH v1.31 - (not necessary if you have the Commanders Edition) and add the download links.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 11-21-16 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-08-16, 10:05 AM   #59
Pilot_76
Chief

Icon13

My only problem is the screen.

When in the game with a resolution at full screen of 1920x1080 the time in the lower-left and the icons in the lower-right part are cut in half. I am still trying to configure using D-Fend reloaded but still no success. Anyone had the same issue??
Old 01-08-16, 10:07 AM   #60
Pilot_76
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
1.31 is the commanders edition which should have all there is to it. But I'm not sure if there was a last patch for it, or if it was the final release.

[EDIT]According to the Subsim download section there is no official patch to be applied on top of v1.31 the commander's edition. But there is a download that fixes a map bug for the North and Southers Japan regions. If you encounter game-crashes when going there then that is also required. Simply extracting it to the DATA folder.
Does this bug still happen??