SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-15, 06:34 AM   #1
cbrown1790
Mate

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0
Default Anyone having problems with Sub Command with windows 10? (SOLVED)

I just upgraded to windows 10. Afterwards, I tested out some games to see if they still worked.

Sub Command has this horrible/unplayable screen flashing. It worked fine with 8.1, so I thought there shouldn't be any issues with windows 10.

I was wrong. Anyone else try SC with windows 10? I tried all different compatibility settings with no change.

Mine is the Steam version with 16 GB ram.

Thanks
cbrown1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 01:54 PM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Unless the Dangerous Waters fix for Windows 10 will work for Sub Command, there's going to be a point where the game just won't work anymore. It's a game that has no budget from Sonalysts for support and it's been that way for over a decade now. This is just how things go.

Did you do anything special to get it to run on Windows 8? I run mine in a window and at 16-bit color on Windows 7.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 09:49 PM   #3
cbrown1790
Mate

Yeah, I understand about the age of SC. Just hate to lose the ability to pop it in and play when I want.

No nothing special about my previous settings, except the changes in the graphics card, those settings were in the readme.

I'll try windowed mode.

Thank you.
Old 08-13-15, 03:27 AM   #4
nquantum
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

can work now with : wrapper (v 0.02)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=221253

http://www.jiri-dvorak.cz/dangw/index.html

Thank to : Komat @subsim.com
nquantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-15, 06:43 AM   #5
cbrown1790
Mate

Can't wait to try this! Do I just place it in my steam game directory?
Old 08-13-15, 10:45 AM   #6
cbrown1790
Mate

It Works!!!

thanks guys for the help!
Old 10-25-16, 04:45 PM   #7
crease34
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

ive had no joy with sub command and W10 with downloading all of the wrappers and the latest patch and trying both compatibility settings I can vouch for with my machines
crease34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-16, 07:08 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

crease34!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 04:45 PM   #9
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by crease34 View Post
ive had no joy with sub command and W10 with downloading all of the wrappers and the latest patch and trying both compatibility settings I can vouch for with my machines
SC and DW can be very cranky to get working on Win10, even with the DLL patch. What worked for me was the following:

1) Install SC (or DW)
2) Attempt to run the sim. It will crash, but the point is to have it create its config files prior to any DLL patches or wrappers.
3) Install the DLL patch.
4) Run the sim, which should work at this point. If not, adjust the compatibility to get it to work. Compatibility: Windows Vista or Win XP SP2 should work.

There are no guarantees that this will solve all of your problems, but it worked for the Win10 machine I use for compatibility troubleshooting. Since you already have installed the sim, be sure to uninstall it and delete any config files it may have left, first. One final note, the SC/DW engine HATES multi-core processors. If you have a brand new computer with a high end CPU, the code may not know what to do with itself, which usually means forcing the sim to run on a single core, which is a separate issue.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 10:44 AM   #10
scameron66
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default Fleet Command - Windows 10 - No Sound

I've had Fleet Command for many years and used it every version of Windows from 95 up including 7 & 8.1. Loading it onto Windows 10 was difficult but it can work.

I first started by trying to use an original Sonalysts/Jane's version of the program (both from the actual disk and from an .iso file), the program would not install as it's needed to be run as an administrator or else it identifies that you don't have enough disk space.

Next, even as an administrator, Windows 10 then gave me the "Your app doesn't work with Windows 10" and refused to install it. The original version is imprinted as a Windows 95 application so Windows 10 automatically dismisses it.

Not to be deterred, I then used a patched Strategies-First .exe file version that I downloaded from:

https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/20...fleet-command/

It installed but it had problems including skewed video at resolutions above 800x600 and no voice, ambient or sfx sounds, only the background music.

The surprising trick was then to re-install the program using the original Sonalysts version over the Strategies-First version. Ensure you specify the same file location. Example:

at C:\Program Files\Fleet Command
vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Jane's Combat Simulations\Fleet Command

As it's a re-install and not an initial install, Windows 10 happily allows to you to do this without regards to any of it's previous concerns over versions.

The program now works great and I have full resolution and sound on Windows 10.
scameron66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-18, 11:25 PM   #11
mpd
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 6
Default Sub Command

I waited until I retired to take up this title, because I wanted to have the time to do it right.

Unfortunately, W10 appeared in the interim, and it was "no joy" until the patch for dangerous waters was upgraded to accommodate the newest OS; except for mouse trails, it works now, which is quite a blessing.

Many thanks, Komat!! version .02 works on my W10 system, too.

mpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 12:57 AM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

MPD!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-18, 11:11 AM   #13
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Downloads: 97

The Steam versions of Fleet Command, 688, and Sub Command work without the dll fix right of the bat in the newest W10.

Dangerous Waters no matter what version is still relying on the DLL fix.

Last edited by MANoWAR.U52; 11-23-18 at 12:21 PM.
MANoWAR.U52 is offline   Reply With Quote