SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-13, 08:55 PM   #1
scudder
Sailor man

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 2
Default The Big Unofficial Guide to menu_1024_768.ini

Version 1.0 is in the downloads section, here. I have more info to add on individual parameters, but I've got the structural explanation mostly complete. At the end you'll see the beginning of a table where I intend to document as many individual parameters as I can find reliable information for. Don't hesitate to reply here or PM me with any ideas/changes/gripes/whatever you want me to know about. As it says in the file, some items are mentioned or shown but but not discussed. In these cases I either don't know what function they serve, or don't have a firm enough grasp on those items to explain their function intelligently.

EDIT: Version 1.0 is now obsolete and has been removed from the downloads section to avoid confusion and clutter. As of 3/2/2013 Version 1.1, available here, is the current version.

Last edited by scudder; 03-03-13 at 09:17 PM.
scudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 10:15 PM   #2
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165

Looks cool! Great work!
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 11:19 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I don't need any stupid guidebook! I understand it perfectly! I download a mod that requres changes. I copy and paste. Works perfectly every time!

Except when it doesn't. Then I'm screwed.

Seriously, this is a valuable asset. I don't begin to understand any of it, but if I read it enough times I think I might begin to.

Thanks for this.
Old 02-25-13, 04:43 AM   #4
Johnfb
Commodore

Downloads: 282
Uploads: 64
Outstanding, simply outstanding.

I have been dabbling in the menu for a while now and got some things right and some things wrong.

Your guide is a great help and asset to the forum (and should be a sticky for sure)

I also really like your writing style with your easy approach to understanding the set ups involved, I can almost hear you in my head "Now,lets see, hmm, lets take a closer look at this section before we move on..."...really well written indeed.

Well done...Please can an Admin make this a sticky ...a very important document for sure.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

As an aid to you I would suggest you look at Sublynx's chart add on and his readme in the DL..helped me out a great deal in understanding the menu. Its in the graphics download section of SH3...well worth a look.
Please keep going on this
Cheers

John
Johnfb is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 07:05 AM   #5
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I don't need any stupid guidebook! I understand it perfectly! I download a mod that requres changes. I copy and paste. Works perfectly every time!

Except when it doesn't. Then I'm screwed.
That's my procedure exactly

This looks massively useful scudder - good work

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 07:08 AM   #6
Friede Rösing
Seaman

Downloads: 314

thanks it´s very interesting document
Friede Rösing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 05:21 PM   #7
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Incredible work Scudder Menu_1024_768.ini looks understandable now... Anyone interested in modding SH3 now has a manual on one of the most important files and I'm sure this means more cool mods appearing

Sticky this, please Otherwise there is a risk new modders won't find the manual.
Old 02-25-13, 08:55 PM   #8
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59
Default Good Work

Good info.
I remember working on it some years ago. I changed the section I was working on, into a flowchart. Seeing the groups as an organised structure made it very easy to follow and understand and change.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-13, 11:44 PM   #9
scudder
Sailor man

Version 1.1 is now in the downloads section, here.

I've reworked some of the discussion of the Pos and Crop parameters, and added several entries to the Table of Parameters and Values. As always, feel free to let me know about errors/gripes/ideas/thoughts/etc., by PM or reply to this thread.
Old 03-03-13, 06:25 AM   #10
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Well done...Please can an Admin make this a sticky ...a very important document for sure.
We have already a lot of sticky threads, I will need to think about something to properly reorganize them

The idea I'm toying with, is leaving a sticky for each supermod and then group in a stickied thread called "Essential resources" the links to all other current stickies, like Superturms, Follow orders, JGSME, etc

I would really love to sticky lots of threads, but we only have so much space in the front page and it easily ends up horribly cluttered and pushing quickly to the 2nd page (Where nobody reads or finds them) threads that have not yet as many replies
Old 03-03-13, 07:26 AM   #11
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
The idea I'm toying with, is leaving a sticky for each supermod and then group in a stickied thread called "Essential resources" the links to all other current stickies, like Superturms, Follow orders, JGSME, etc
Is it maybe possible to put ALL Super mods into one sticky? What i mean is name a sticky: "Supermods" or "All Supermods here", then links inside that to all supermods, or/and details, would create a lot of space on the first page.
Leaves room for other stickies.

Quote:
I would really love to sticky lots of threads, but we only have so much space in the front page and it easily ends up horribly cluttered and pushing quickly to the 2nd page (Where nobody reads or finds them) threads that have not yet as many replies
See above.
Or old stickies, outdated, dead links, etc etc.

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 10:18 AM   #12
scudder
Sailor man

I for one love the idea of grouping the stickies together. I think either of the proposed methods mentioned would work, and I love the idea of an "Essential Resources" sticky. Certainly my single document about one file, while very useful if one happens to be looking for information, doesn't really need its own thread. No idea how that would be implemented, but I'll leave that up to Hitman.
Old 03-03-13, 03:16 PM   #13
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Is it maybe possible to put ALL Super mods into one sticky? What i mean is name a sticky: "Supermods" or "All Supermods here", then links inside that to all supermods, or/and details, would create a lot of space on the first page.
I did it long ago, but people didn't like it and because those threads had more traffic they were on the main page daily anyway. I will however group the rest of resources that see less traffic so they don't get lost, but they also don't take a sticky themselves.
Old 04-26-13, 08:42 AM   #14
o3742180
Swabbie

Downloads: 20

thanks, that makes it easier. could have used that before tampering whith "menu_1024_768.ini" myself.
o3742180 is offline   Reply With Quote