SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DARPA Game – “ACTUV Tactics”
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-11, 02:09 PM   #1
karibdo
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default HF sonar

Is the HF sonar supposed to be passive sonar? This would explain to me why it doesn't seem to provoke any reactions in the SSK, but I really don't know much about submarines!
karibdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 02:13 PM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

It's not passive, it's high frequency active. It has a high resolution so it can actually "see" shapes and such.

I'm not sure on current systems detectability, but I'm guessing this HF (especially the Gator's) is something new that normal passive sonar can't routinely detect.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 02:34 PM   #3
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Well, its nothing new ... but as explained in another thread the HF sonars frequency is beyond the capabilities of the passive sonar arrays (I suppose). Simple reason, HF doesn't go far and up until now it was either used for research to get a good look at the bottom or by subs as under ice sonar - no tactical application ... yet.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 10:32 PM   #4
TerminatorSub
Swabbie

Default Spread Spectrum Sonar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
It's not passive, it's high frequency active. It has a high resolution so it can actually "see" shapes and such.

I'm not sure on current systems detectability, but I'm guessing this HF (especially the Gator's) is something new that normal passive sonar can't routinely detect.
I am a newbie at gaming and sonar, but I do have some ideas.

If I had a few $$ more, I would probably use spread spectrum sonar:

Sounds like frying shrimp?
It is similar to cell phone tech. It should be undetectable. Garmin apparently makes one for $2000 for fish finding.

Synthetic Aperture Sonar can find shapes.

The "Real" platform may have multiple sensors. Probably want to turn some off to focus on a specific target like in shallow water, without triggering other targets nearby. So I am guessing that we are being tasked to come up with solutions that fit various tactical scenarios that go with a pliable configuration.
TerminatorSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 08:38 AM   #5
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorSub View Post
It should be undetectable.
The Soviets though the same thing when they installed their Kurier burst transmission system on their submarines.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 12:01 PM   #6
Barrien
Bilge Rat

HF active is detectable depending on your sonar setup, really just all depends on what sensors you have. And also keep in mind that even if a sensor can't hear it, the submarine might be able to. For instance: You have a submarine that only has a low-freq passive array out and can't hear the mid-freq stuff, but a surface ship goes active on you in the mid-freq level at 200+ db. The entire crew is going to hear it, and they know they've been found (Note: Above situation obviously isn't real, and isn't using exact / close to exact numbers~)
Barrien is offline   Reply With Quote