Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-19, 07:29 PM   #16
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 348
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutworld View Post
So I guess I am out of luck with this particular computer.

Thank you all for the help.
Sorry I do not agree

A new PC would help obviously but its not the problem you need to find out why you are running out of memory you have 16GB which is plenty + you have virtual memory on top which works of the HDD

The Minimum Requirements of Silent Hunter 5 are :

Supported OS: Windows XP (SP3) / Windows Vista (SP2) / Windows 7
Windows 10 requirement met
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core2 Duo E4400 or 2.1 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or 2.6 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ or higher recommended)
Comfortably above min requirement with 2,4 GHz 4 Physical cores CPU + Hyperthreading Turbo upto 3.4GHZ
RAM: 1 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista, Windows 7 (2 GB / 4 GB recommended) 4x above RECOMENDED req @ 16GB Ram
Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0c–compliant video card (1 GB recommended) (see supported list*) GTX770m 3GB VRAM 6x above min req
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c–compliant sound card
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c Video Card Supports Directx 11 meets + above min requirement
DVD-ROM: 4x Dual-layer DVD-ROM drive only need to install game of DVD
Hard Drive Space: 6 GB (10 GB recommended) to unpack and install game but you need need free space on your HDD to stop memory problems

Your laptop should not have any problem playing this game

Fix the out of memory first the prime suspects are a memory leak or lack of hard drive space

Simon
Old 02-12-19, 10:07 PM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I agree with Cyborg322. I am on an old Dell, first gen i3 with 8 gig of ram and onboard Intel HD4400 graphics with a 17" 1600x900 screen, and TWoS runs on it. Not as well as SH4 does, mind you, but it runs with some reduced graphics settings.

I do wonder about this though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutworld View Post
Here are my computer specs.

I specifically purchased this laptop a few years ago to play SH3 GWX, but I couldn't get GWX to run without crashes. Hmm. Now here we are different a few years later, different game same result.

This is a Toshiba Qosmio laptop X75-A7298

Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @2.400GHz

16.0 GB Ram

64-bit OS

Windows 10

GeForce GTX 770M Video card Drivers are installed and up to date on CPU and Video Card

Intel HD Graphics 4600 * this is the only part of my "rig" that doesn't pass muster, as far as game compatibility. According to the "system analyzer" tool that comes up when installing the game.

(I don't know how to install an upgrade to it, but it is using the latest drivers, as is my video card, which I check regularly)
Why do you have GeForce GTX 770M Video drivers installed if you have an onboard Intel HD 4600?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 10:24 PM   #18
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

In my experience, having just enough power or graphics or processor is just not enough for me. SH5 should be enjoyed to the max, not watered down to get off the ground. Besides if you get damaged, the control room graphics will make your game unbearable!

Not to brag but my rig allows all options in graphics to be maxed out. I don’t max out of course, but it’s good to know I can, and I have s smooth game!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 05:28 PM   #19
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

I do wonder about this though:

Why do you have GeForce GTX 770M Video drivers installed if you have an onboard Intel HD 4600?
Hi Propbeanie

I assume his system has a GTX770m GPU not just the driver which would be a bit strange if not. nutworld is a bit vague in that respect and it seems odd that a System analysis point to a Bottle necking HD 4600 which should not be relevant. I would check what is working by either Checking the Device manager under Display adaptors or type System in the search bar then display

So assuming thes PC has a GTX770m
The Intel HD 4600 won't even be do anything because of the GTX770m dedicated graphics card which will override it, its way more powerful
+ considered a High end GPU in its day the system will ignore the onboard graphics chip a GTX770m should handle SH5 on Max setting no problem

When Silent Hunter 5 first came out I had a GTX660 ( Desktop GPU) + an Intel i5 3570K. I got 60FPS most of the time maxed out maybe a little drop when rendering 30 ships or so. Its a little difficult to make an exact comparison, desktops have so many advantages over laptops. A GTX770m is about the same the CPU described may bottleneck slightly

Going back to the original post there is inherently a system bug which needs fixing it will be 100% solvable with a little patience unless there is a hardware defect which is highly unlikely, this can be verified by using the Task Manager and the Device Manager

To consider buying a new PC in the situation described is like scrapping a fairly new car because of a flat tyre

Without any feedback to suggestions I can't help

The worse case scenario would be to reinstall the Operating System but this would be after trying out many things first such as doing a System Restore to a point where there were no issues. From what I can tell is the memory is constantly running up to 100% this will cause Browser "AwSnaps" and system lockups. It should be no big deal to fix

Simon

Last edited by Cyborg322; 02-13-19 at 05:58 PM.
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 05:37 PM   #20
propbeanie

Since he didn't mention a dedicated graphics card (just drivers), but does mention the onboard, I wondered... Even the onboard graphics of the newer computers can run SH5 rather easily.

Old 02-13-19, 05:59 PM   #21
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Since he didn't mention a dedicated graphics card (just drivers), but does mention the onboard, I wondered... Even the onboard graphics of the newer computers can run SH5 rather easily.
I was just editing my post after realising the same thing
Old 02-15-19, 10:05 AM   #22
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66

I think it is time here to reinstall windows....run the updates, download all relevant drivers and test pc to see if it will behave as expected.

Your laptop is capable to play this, I have dell from 2012, 550M nvidia and i7 and recently was forced to replace HDD and I placed SSD there and I can play SH5 no problems at all with 8GB RAM and Win 10.

BTW nvidia control panel has option to check to force programs to use GPU.
NiceSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-19, 05:47 PM   #23
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceSub View Post
I think it is time here to reinstall windows....run the updates, download all relevant drivers and test pc to see if it will behave as expected.

Your laptop is capable to play this, I have dell from 2012, 550M nvidia and i7 and recently was forced to replace HDD and I placed SSD there and I can play SH5 no problems at all with 8GB RAM and Win 10.

BTW nvidia control panel has option to check to force programs to use GPU.
Re installing windows is a bit of an overkill to sort out memory problems and time consuming there are more logical steps you can do first. Why not keep task manager open and see where memory is being used it on the details tab. If your really stuck do a system restore.

Do you have 2 Laptops ? its getting confusing your earlier post had specs: Toshiba Laptop GTX 770m and 16Gb RAM a GT550m is quite a big spec drop although is quite capable of most tasks

Using the Nvidea to force the GPU to work should not be necessary your PC will always look for anything in the PCI Slots first although I'm not sure a GT550m goes in a PCI Slot it looks more like an onboard Graphics chip opposed to a conventional GPU card if its Optimus compatible it will switch between the Intel Graphics automatically as and when required
The Latest driver for a GT550m is 391.35 WHQL it is not the same as a GTX 770m which is 418.91 WHQL its worth checking which one you have

Out of interest how much free space have you got on your SSD ? Is the operating system on the same drive and do you have only the one Drive ?
If you provide good accurate info and feedback I'm sure you will get a solution to what I see as a fairly common problem that's not difficult to resolve
Old 02-15-19, 06:48 PM   #24
propbeanie

@ nutworld, is your computer like some of the others that have an onboard and an add-in card, both used at the same time? ie: while in Windows, it uses the onboard Intel HD graphics, but when you play a game, it uses the GeForce 370? In theory, anyway. I vaguely remember someone else having one of those machines and having trouble with it being on here a couple of years ago. I do not remember if they ever got satisfaction with it, even when trying an external monitor... If you have any documentation that came with your computer, you might be able to find out if that's what the computer does... My son has an HP i5 with an onboard and a GeForce of one series or another, but his machine lets him disable the Intel graphics and just use the nVidia add-in... ??