Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Amazing post, buddy... thanks for such a great tour
Old 12-02-18, 04:01 PM   #77
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

High Praise indeed from some Heavy Hitters. Thanks guys .

And speaking of "Heavy Hitters", I left out/forgot about "Battleship Corner", a patch of footpath ( not really worth a photo ) where heavy hitters from local pubs used to settle their differences.
Old 12-24-18, 03:21 PM   #78
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

A view across the fields from outside our place earlier this evening; no sign of any snow
Old 04-18-19, 06:04 PM   #79
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Ever since this thread was started, long ago, I have been looking for something that would give a sense of what Hollywood like; mst of the clips I found were either of just the 'touristy' bits of Hollywood or were not really representative of the 'feel' of the area. The 'main drag' of Hollywood, sort of its 'downtown' is the part of Hollywood Blvd. between the famed intersection of Hollywood & Vine and the far end of the commercial strip ending at La Brea Ave., about a mile west of Vine St. I just found this clip, posted to YT last May, 2016. The person who shot it gives a good POV of his walk down the Blvd; it starts out at the far west end heads east to Vine St., where he crosses the street and walks back to his starting point. The clip appears to have been shot on a weekday; on weekends, the sidewalks are more crowded, and, during the summer vacation months, June thru August, the sidewalks become an obstacle course. For those of you who have never been to Hollywood Blvd and have only heard of it as a famous place, well, hate to disappoint y'all, but, as can be seen, its a pretty mundane place. Now, if there had been a similar clip done, say, 30 odd years ago, it would have been much more vibrant and interesting...

<O>
Old 04-18-19, 09:56 PM   #80
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Thanks vienna. That was really good.

Some impressions:-

Wow, how clean the place is. Virtually no rubbish on the footpath, no graffitti, I only saw one beggar, and no "homeless" people sleeping rough. Sure signs of great Civic Pride

All those stars on the footpath 1000s of them, I didn't think that there were that many celebrities in the whole world let alone the Silver Screen.

I don't think I'll ever get there, but it looks a lot like Waikiki and also funnily enough Bondi Junction here in Sydney.

Down here in "The Cross", there's rubbish everywhere, poo ( dog AND human ) on the footpaths and in doorways, aggressive beggars, blow ins from the country sleeping rough, drugged/drunk euro backpackers....
Old 04-19-19, 02:37 PM   #81
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thanks, guys
Old 04-19-19, 03:56 PM   #82
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
What I see in the morning from the front of my home:

The back of my home:

My backyard in summer:

You also live in the greatest state in the Union, too, if I do recall.
Old 04-19-19, 04:02 PM   #83
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

This is the prettiest place near my house:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ns&FORM=HDRSC2

Last edited by Torvald Von Mansee; 04-19-19 at 04:18 PM.
Torvald Von Mansee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-19, 04:35 PM   #84
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenwurst View Post
poo ( dog AND human ) on the footpaths and in doorways, aggressive beggars, blow ins from the country sleeping rough, drugged/drunk euro backpackers....

I was amazed too, Hollywood must ship all their homeless to San Francisco.
Old 04-20-19, 08:39 PM   #85
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Default A hoot and a holler, or a stone's throw.

Not much happening down here at the moment. The trains aren't running, bad internet connection, hot and humid, a gazzillion tourists - Indians, Chinese, Americans etc , a lot of cafes shut down for Easter ( bummer ), if it wasn't for Macca's there'd be mass starvation

A short while ago I did a trip to the Art Gallery of New South Wales - about half a mile away - close neighbourhood? The place is amazing. A beautiful Neo Classical Colonial building.....with modern add ons of course. Inside there's lots of Galleries chock a block full of beautiful paintings and sculpture from all periods. Rembrandt, Rubens, Eichhornchen, Rodin. There's a Fine Dining restaurant serving all the posh food, and a cafe for us hoi poloi .

A lot of security people standing around bored to tears and always glad of a conversation.

A bit blurry that one .i don't know what happened, a pretty girl must've walked past.

Just 2 of the Galleries, but it gives a good feel for the place. Some of the paintings are HUGE.

And outside. this lady asks her eternal question.....
Old 04-22-19, 04:23 PM   #86
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenwurst View Post
Thanks vienna. That was really good.

Some impressions:-

Wow, how clean the place is. Virtually no rubbish on the footpath, no graffitti, I only saw one beggar, and no "homeless" people sleeping rough. Sure signs of great Civic Pride

All those stars on the footpath 1000s of them, I didn't think that there were that many celebrities in the whole world let alone the Silver Screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I was amazed too, Hollywood must ship all their homeless to San Francisco.

Hollywood Blvd. is part of what is called here in LA a "BID", a Business Improvement District, a coalition of local businesses who pool funds to pay for services either not provided by the City or to augment provided services; in Hollywood, that includes private security patrols to supplement the LAPD presence, power steam street cleaning, and graffiti abatement, among other things. There was once a Courthouse open on Hollywood Blvd. but it closed due to budget cuts; one of the creative sentences petty offenders received in that Courthouse was doing community service cleaning up trash and graffiti all around the Hollywood area; it wasn't unusual to see some person cleaning up the streets and gutter outside a club they had partied at and then been busted for public drunkenness a day or two earlier...

The homeless are around in Hollywood, but have mostly been chased off the main Blvd. and are mostly found on side street areas. Just in the past few weeks, a "no Vending Zone" has been established on Hollywood Blvd. and the surrounding side streets for several blocks to the North ans South of the Blvd., in order to remove street vendors; this has also had the added effect of reducing the homeless presence...

Hollywood Blvd. is officially on the National Registry of historical places an, as such, is protected from the wiles of property developers who would just love to tear it all up and put up more high-rises and Starbucks...

The "Walk of Fame" stars are for more than just films; they are also placed for TV, radio, musical recording, and stage performance. They also encompass more than just the celebrity talent: producers. directors, agents, writers, makeup artists, costume designers, and many others are among those who get trod on daily:

Official Website for the Hollywood Walk of Fame --

https://www.walkoffame.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Walk_of_Fame

Some persons have more than one star, if they are known for work in different areas of entertainment; the person with the most stars is the old singing cowboy, Gene Autry; part of the reason is because Autry was also a major businessman in Hollywood, owning, among other things, one of the first TV stations in the US, so the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, who administer the Walk, was more than willing to give Autry as many stars as they could. There are also "special stars" placed on the Walk, usually for some tie-in with corporate donors. There is one, or, rather, four stars that are unique on the walk: at all four corners of the famed intersection of Hollywood Blvd. & Vine St., there are special "moons" placed to commemorate the First Lunar Landing (appropriately with the "TV" icon):

I have seen several of the ceremonies that accompany the installation of stars over the decades; the most pleasantly recalled was the ceremony for Raquel Welch that I literally walked in on as I was leaving a movie theater; she was just a couple of feet from me and I recall she was rather more petite than I had imagined...

There were sad ones, too; the great character actor Forrest Tucker was to have gotten his star and, though he was gravely ill, he insisted on being at the ceremony; the organizers even rented a mobile dressing room trailer he could wait in until the ceremony started, however, he collapsed before the start of the ceremony and was rushed to the hospital and passed away a couple of months later without having seen his star...

There is one star that is not on the sidewalk: Muhammad Ali jokingly stipulated that if he were to get a star, it would not be on the sidewalk, since he didn't want people stepping on him. The Chamber took his 'request' to heart and placed his star on the wall of the building that house the Dolby (formerly Kodak) Theater, the site of the Oscar awards:

There are still fans who leave flowers at the base of the star on The Champs birthday and on the anniversary of his death...

<O>
Old 04-23-19, 05:47 AM   #87
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

you wouldn't happen to be the vienna who operates vienna's classic hollywood blog?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-19, 02:30 PM   #88
vienna
Navy Seal

No, I'm not, but I do appreciate the find. ...

I had no idea there was such a blog out there and, since, I do like to read about Old Hollywood, this is a new resource for me...

Thanks again...

<O>
Old 04-23-19, 04:07 PM   #89
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I found the blog a few days ago. There's a good number of stories films and familiar faces to peruse. You are most welcome sir

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-19, 04:12 PM   #90
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Wonderful posts, guys (and I saw what you did there, Little 'e' )