Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 09-30-11, 06:33 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Parallel installation of addons for FS9 and FSX

I plan to get the wonderful PMDG 737NGX when the patched and complete package gets released on disc. In preparation of that, I took advantage of a -20% shop jubilee offer for FSX Gold and ordered it for 23 Euros, free shipping. Aerosoft currently offers all with prices 20% less.

I do not wish to get into the money-spending frenzy once again and do not plan, currently, to buy plenty of FSX addons. However, I have a fully modded installation of FS9, with several Aerosoft Mega Airprots, the German Airport series, some of these have both FS2004 and FSX versions on disc.

With the FS9-addons already entered in the registry database, can I nevertheless safely install these addons a second time for FSX, parallel to the FS9 installations of the very same addons?

I probably will also get the FSX Environment by Fight 1 sooner or later, having good looking clouds is important to me in a flight sim, but I am not sure what kind of package I should get for mesh improvements. Am I better off with Global X 2010, or with Flight 1's Ultimate Terrain series?

I am prioritizing to turn FSX into a PMDG-737 focussed solid sim, with good frames nevertheless, that'S another reason why I am hesitent to mod it as much as I have done with FS9. I know of Flusifix program. Any more basic tips for a FSX-starter?

Specs:

Intel Core i5-2500 So. 1155, 4 x 3.3 GHz, 6 MB Cache - Asus P8H67 B3 (USB2+USB3) - 8 GB RAM PC1333 - Gainward GTX460 1024 MB PCI-E - Hitachi HD SATA2 1 TB, 7200 rpm, 32 MB - LG DVD - 750 W ATX - Chieftech Midi Tower ATX black, Mesh series

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

CH Fighterstick - CH ProThrottle - Simped Vario Pro - TrackIR 4

FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004 (FS Global 2005, Scenery Germany 1-4, Real Germany 1-3, German Airports 1+2X+3X+4, Scandinavian Airprots 1, Approaching Innsbruck, Mega Airports: London Heathrow, Frankfurt, Paris CDG, Vienna, Zurich, Amsterdam Shiphol, Stockholm Arlanda, Austria Professional 2004, Ground Environment II, Ultimate Terrain Canada/Alaska + USA + Europe, Flight Environment, Traffic 2005, FlightSim Commander 7, AES 2.12, RealAir SF.260 SIAI Marchetti, RealAir Spitfire, Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne, Level-D 767, PMDG 747, iFly 737NG, Flight1 ATR 72-500, Dreamfleet Cessna Cardinal, Patrouille Suisse)
Old 10-04-11, 05:46 PM   #2
oche
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 94

You have good plans for hours of enjoyable flying. When i made the transition from FS9 to FSX i had a hard time adapting, but it paid off.

My advice is before installing the scenery addons, try first experimenting with a few flights so you can adjust/configure all the graphic options to the most prefered framerate performance. FSX is way more resource hungry than FS9. I have unfortunately not tried yet any addons from PMDG, but apparently according to what i've read their addons (MD-11 and 747-400 for FSX) are not framerate killers, don't know how the 737NG will behave framerate wise. Once you decide to begin installing the addons wether scenery, aircraft or traffic addons, try it one by one so you can always compare framerate performance and adjust accordingly to your preference.

I have similar pc specs to yours and i have Traffic X addon installed and a lot of other payware and freeware scenery, airport and aircraft addons, and most of the time, framerate is good, except around busy airports.
oche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 04:34 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Thanks,. Had you the same scenery addons installed both in FS9 and FSX at the same time, did it work, registry-wise?

I am playing this transition very very slow.

First, I also get the Discus X by aerosoft, to replace Condor immediately.

I will make use of the cheap upgrad eoption for my old and proven Realair Marchetti.

Then I will replace the mesh, eithert with a free one for europe, or Ultimate Terrain 2010.

I plan on REX 2.0 after that (probably better choice than Flight Environment by Flight1!?)

Next, Landclasses. I read Ultimate Terrain is a frame kiiller, so I will check for free ones, at least for Germany, Austria and Switzerland, since this is were I fly most.

AES I will install once I decide to maybe deinstall it in FS9. Then the codes I already bought, are free again. So possibly no AES for a longer while to come.

Traffic I will try last. It is a critical variable in FS9, and so I expect it to be like that in FSX as well.

Ground Envirtonment by Flight 1, I am not certain, in FS9 it did little visible effect different to altering coklour palettes slightly. Think I pass on that in FSX.

If airport sceneries can be installed in both sims simultaneously, good, if not - it depends on whether I will stay with FS9, or go FSX all the way. And that depends on the frames left when the 737 finally arrives. I only start this project because of the 737. Any addons not leaving enough ressources for it, will not be used.

All this will take me until Spring. I probably will not even fly FSX much in that time, except the Discus, maybe, if it really is so good as they say and can compete with Condor, regarding flight-dynamics and thermals and ridge-winds (addon). I hope that until Summer the DVD-version of PMDG 737NGX will be released. Then it all will come to life - hopefully.

Did this whole dance starting with FS2000, but then came 2002, and I got a completely modded installation. I then transferred it to 2004 in 2006 or 2007 - and now I start it all again and invest all that finetuning time and money!? I must be mad.
Old 10-05-11, 06:28 AM   #4
oche
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 94

I didn't have any compatible scenery installed for FS9 or FSX. At least what i had for FS9 it didn't work for FSX.

I'm positive that traffic density kills more framerate than scenery, i would like to see how Ultimate terrain 2010 handles at the same time with both Traffic X installed and payware aircraft.

So far i've had very good framerate experience with Justflight, and Captainsim addons.

I'm a 737 fan too, i use The 737 PIC from Wilco which can sometimes be kind of a framerate killer but nothing serious.
oche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 08:45 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Talking of FS9, the PMDG 737 from 2005 (?) never convinced me. PMDG's 747 however was excellent, so is Level-D's 767, which before (FS 2000 + 2002) was called Wilco's 767 Pilot in Command. If there is a classic addon of a high-quality airliner with a long-running tradition in the FS-series, then this 767. It even is available for FSX, and like the thre times before it scored ecellent reception. Transformed into 4 different versions of FS, since 2000 - not many planes out there with such a record. Realair's SF.260 SIAI Marchetti "only" saw 3 incarnations, if I do not miscount it.

Currently exclusively using the iFly 737. Very very good. Just that the new PMDG 737 looks much better and has even more system depth. "Even better" is the enemy of "best". iFly needs to rework the HUD, though, it looks not good, and very blocky in fonts.
Old 10-05-11, 04:50 PM   #6
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Went to the iFly 737 website and was checking out the add on and received this message.

[my virus program] has confirmed that this website can transmit malicious software or has been involved in online scams or fraud.

OK? That's not good...
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 06:52 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

I am visiting the iFly site regularly, to see in the forum how the upgrade is going. No alerts by my Avira Premium Suite. But I keep the Microsoft Image Transform Something blocked.
Old 10-05-11, 10:13 PM   #8
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Skybird et al.

I have a copy of PC Pilot laying around that lets you get the most out of FSX graphically while not taxing your system. all little tweaks that end up doing you a lot of good.

Sky, you should try the Reno Racing in FSX, it gets pretty interesting.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 04:49 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
Skybird et al.

I have a copy of PC Pilot laying around that lets you get the most out of FSX graphically while not taxing your system. all little tweaks that end up doing you a lot of good.
That'S nice for you but not for me - I don'T have a copy of PC pilot laying around.

I will probbaly make use opf the option to have several configs tuned in FSX, and selecting the one matching thbr type of flight I want to do. For IFR with that PMDG, that will see reduced settings, no doubt. Doing VFR, which maybe is FSX real domain, I will try to crank up settings.

Do they allow SIAI Marchettis in Reno ?
Old 10-08-11, 11:05 PM   #10
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
That'S nice for you but not for me - I don'T have a copy of PC pilot laying around.
Do they allow SIAI Marchettis in Reno ?
I can post all the information from the article. It's written by one of the major devs from Aerosoft

and you can change aspects in the mission, sans rewards, thats how I tuned Precious Metal.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Old 10-09-11, 04:50 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

A "wiki" on how to tune background options or ingame settings would be welcomed.

But check this first, so that you do not invest work into what maybe already is covered by others and out there on the web, I know this tool since the 2002 version, it worked great in 2004, and I will tune it in X today:

http://www.wolfgang-picheta.de/

You can switch the page to English via the Union Jack flag on the right side.

This tool does a lot of config tweaks.
Old 10-09-11, 03:20 PM   #12
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Sky. I'll start working on the tweaks in a separate post. Coming soon!
Old 10-09-11, 04:28 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring