Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-25-09, 04:13 PM   #181
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Im almost sure no WW1 aircraft had the ability trim there elevators....
Old 07-26-09, 12:24 AM   #182
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0

Actually a fair number could provide longitudinal trim. SE5a is one of the first to make it to ROF that should be able to do so.

There is a worm-gear that raises the front spar of the horizontal stabiliser (the elevator itself remains free-floating, unless 'held' by the pilot, but the required elevator trim force can be reduced to zero by this means).

This makes it more similar to the Bf109 trim, than that fitted to eg the Hurricane or Spitfire (or most other WW2 fighters)
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 08:52 PM   #183
CptSimFreak
Frogman

Downloads: 0

1.004 patch is out. 525mb.
CptSimFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 05:27 PM   #184
TheBrauerHour
Mr. Eastwood

Downloads: 18

Anyone who has the game should be very pleased with the patch. It corrects alot of the little gripes people have had and this week sometime we should be getting two more planes added.
TheBrauerHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 10:18 AM   #185
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

S.E.5.a and Pfalz D.III are out now
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 11:03 PM   #186
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboSmeggins View Post
Anybody succumbed yet?

Yeah I did yesterday..LOL. Rise of Flight is beautifully done! The flight models are especially challenging and the details are rendered very nicely. If the game has any drawbacks..it is with the lack of explanation of the in game options and how they work. Over all...very impressive indeed.

Last edited by Kptlt Thomsen; 07-31-09 at 11:24 PM.
Kptlt Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 11:23 PM   #187
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter View Post
I got it today. I'll post screenshots later on.

The Fokker D.VII in this thing is a beast. It's so goddamn sensitive that you CANNOT fire without a lot of trouble. I've dubbed it the "jack russel" because it likes to bounce wildly when you bring it around to fire. It's a powerful machine, however, in terms of speed. I'm personally more geared towards the SPAD. It's fast, easy to fly, and doesn't bounce at least.

And the AI in this thing will end you the first time you play in a dogfight. It's a guarantee. I had an Albatros pull an Immelmann on me earlier and shoot out my engine, sending me down in flames. It's smart. Very smart. Hard too lol.
He speaks the truth...I just got the game today...and have a great deal of experience at getting shot down...lol
Old 08-01-09, 10:07 PM   #188
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Yeah I have had it since release, bought all 3 planes so far. Love it thoroughly.

The thing is, if you want single player.. well the options as of right now suck, but the devs promise more.

If you want MP... well the options as of now suck, but the devs promise more.

If you want a well modeled WWI plane and flight model, then there is no better. They have the flight engine down beautifully (the hardest part) and seem committed to putting the rest right,

Add on planes will cost you money. You will always need to be connected to the net. These things will never change no matter how much the same 10 whiners post at ROF.com and SimHQ. If you are a sim enthuisiast but only enthused by WWI planes in a passing way I would hold off. If you truly love WWI aviation then you can not afford to miss this title.

Just my 2¢
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 12:04 AM   #189
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun

Totally agree,Highbury. Also, the devs might consider giving us some sort of an instruction guide for the mission editor.
Old 08-03-09, 05:03 PM   #190
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I wish ROF and all of it's purchasers well.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 05:45 AM   #191
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Without having read through all 5 pages of this thread I just remind you (again?) that due to this wonderful thing called DRM the sim needs to be constantly connected to the internet - even if you intend to play SP.

That means you can'T play on a PC without active connection. And it means if the corresponding server goes down, you cannot play as well.

Which is a strict K.O. criterion for me. I hate to let go this one, like I also hated to let go Black Shark over Starforce, but that's what I do. I do not accept to hang on their long line as long as I am expected to even pay money for it.

The sim has relatively few plaable planes, and all addon planes TBR will cost "money per item", although the main title already sells for full price. Another customer-hostile feature.
Old 08-12-09, 11:25 AM   #192
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11
Default Losers on both sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Without having read through all 5 pages of this thread I just remind you (again?) that due to this wonderful thing called DRM the sim needs to be constantly connected to the internet - even if you intend to play SP.

That means you can'T play on a PC without active connection. And it means if the corresponding server goes down, you cannot play as well.

Which is a strict K.O. criterion for me. I hate to let go this one, like I also hated to let go Black Shark over Starforce, but that's what I do. I do not accept to hang on their long line as long as I am expected to even pay money for it.

The sim has relatively few plaable planes, and all addon planes TBR will cost "money per item", although the main title already sells for full price. Another customer-hostile feature.
I will have to agree with your reasons as to why I have not tried to get either title. As much as both intrigue me, I just have no interest in being tied to the Internet just to fly a Sim, especially when I plan to stick with Single Player.

I feel this is a true loss on both sides. 1, I miss out on 2 great looking Sims and 2, they will miss out on a lot of potential sales just because of the requirement to stay connected.
Old 08-12-09, 11:54 AM   #193
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

While I agree with the last two and simular posts.

I also want to go on record that I can also understand the Owners of ROF's wanting to keep secure their game from being on a thiefware.

They have a large investment in a niche product so, I have to be sympathetic to their reason while not being a customer.

Maybe in time they can do something for offline SP.

I wholeheartly wish ROF success.

Old 08-12-09, 05:19 PM   #194
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

While I agree with the objections concerning ROF, I consider it nescesary to point out that the DRM present in Black Shark (yes, StarForce) is in no way similar to what people have become to loathe.

It kept me from a day-1 purchase, in fact it kept me from purchasing untill about a month ago, untill I realised my hatred towards the name StarForce was, in this case, unfounded.

Ofcourse it depends on where you draw the line when it comes to restrictions. In this case there's an online activation with limited activations. If you're migrating to a new system or doing an upgrade, you can use a deactivation and reactivate after you've made the system changes, without losing an activation. No rootkit-like driver installs that can mess up your system.

I still don't like it when anything is "limited", but it still beats the restrictions found on many other games (pretty much anything that has SecuROM nowadays).

If you can look past the StarForce name, you might find that the system is in this case quite reasonable.

As far as flight simulations go, it's the best thing ever. Eagle Dynamics both needs and deserves your support. Perhaps they might even drop StarForce in future modules.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 05:51 PM   #195
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
While I agree with the objections concerning ROF, I consider it nescesary to point out that the DRM present in Black Shark (yes, StarForce) is in no way similar to what people have become to loathe.

It kept me from a day-1 purchase, in fact it kept me from purchasing untill about a month ago, untill I realised my hatred towards the name StarForce was, in this case, unfounded.

Ofcourse it depends on where you draw the line when it comes to restrictions. In this case there's an online activation with limited activations. If you're migrating to a new system or doing an upgrade, you can use a deactivation and reactivate after you've made the system changes, without losing an activation. No rootkit-like driver installs that can mess up your system.

I still don't like it when anything is "limited", but it still beats the restrictions found on many other games (pretty much anything that has SecuROM nowadays).

If you can look past the StarForce name, you might find that the system is in this case quite reasonable.

As far as flight simulations go, it's the best thing ever. Eagle Dynamics both needs and deserves your support. Perhaps they might even drop StarForce in future modules.

Are you talking about ROF or Black Shark ?

I thought this was an ROF thread.