Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-11-17, 01:54 PM   #1
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Sonar audio

Hey all, just curious about this.

Yesterday I turned on the audio switch on the sonar screen (specifically 688 Flt III).. I don't think I've ever paid attention to it and never turned it on lol

Anyway, curious if anyone actually hears anything noticeable other than the "click" I sometimes hear? I read about "the click" somewhere just can't remember where now.

I have my volume loud 5.1 SS and even on a close contact (like a surface ship) I don't hear anything other than the water noise (it appears)?
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 02:24 PM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

You should be able to clearly hear whales if the contact is a whale, shrimps make a bunch of clicking that can be harder to hear. Merchantmen should be pretty noticeable with loud clanging machinery. Surface warships will be a bit quieter typically with a more refined sound. You can definitely hear torpedoes. I don't think I've ever heard a submarine over the broadband audio.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 10:21 PM   #3
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35

Chazlys right about everything except the submerged contacts,

Listen closely with a submerged contact especially at close range and moderate speed. On the broadband audio you can hear a deep bass kind of sound, very low frequency. It kind of blends with the flow noise unless you listen carefully.

Set yourself up on a close submarine contact, and run the cursor from an empty spot of the ocean and let your ears adjust, then move it to the the contact bearing and you will here a slight low toned hum join the flow noise sound.
Old 12-11-17, 10:24 PM   #4
A-Ganger
Sparky

Hmm, I can't seem to hear any noticeable sounds as you mention.

I wonder if it has anything to do with my sound card?
In settings I always see the msg where it can't create hardware buffers etc. Confusing statement cos right after it it shows created a bunch of diff. Buffers etc lol

Oh well, there are no driver updates for my card, which is built in...Used to have a SB 24 card but think it went when I sold my older computer...idk

I really need a new putter cos I can only have 4g ram and not capable of more anyways..
Old 12-12-17, 12:40 AM   #5
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

@ A-Ganger all your problems allows to suppose that you haven't correctly innstalleded game.
Please check it. (don't forget to install patch 1.04 before RA if you use non-steam version)
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 10:18 AM   #6
A-Ganger
Sparky

P7 no I've been playing the game for a while so it's installed correctly, and I run the latest RA mod.

That msg on the sound settings is the same msg I see on a stock install..

Speed..I hear own ship and water flow and I do seem to notice "some" deeper tones..maybe that's what you're referring to.

Of course I'm sure my hearing isn't as good as you young fellows lol well maybe
Old 12-12-17, 11:02 AM   #7
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ganger View Post
P7 no I've been playing the game for a while so it's installed correctly, and I run the latest RA mod.
Maybe you have an incorrectly installed game since a long time? I ask because only you cannot hear anything on Broadband and cannot see lines on Narrowband. I know
over 15 active DW players and only you have that kind of problems. Last time you had problem with 688 sonar in scenario where other players many times succesful detect, identiffy and finaly kill enemy submarines (playing on LA). Scenario Red tiger was played over 10 times.

I think you should reinstall game because it will be easier than guessing.
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 02:56 PM   #8
A-Ganger
Sparky

All is good. I can hear a torpedo running quite easily. Guess I was expecting to hear more detail on underwater contacts.

Then I thought, well if the broadband lines are pretty straight (which subs are) then obviously we're not going to hear any screw turning etc.

Last edited by A-Ganger; 12-13-17 at 11:04 AM.