Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-20-17, 02:04 PM   #16
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Find your preferred numbers for things like going to PD, raising the radio and ESM masts, etc.
When does your sonar wash out?
You don't have to learn this - just check in game (even during mission) USNI REFERENCE:

You need subtract from "max detectable spd":
- 4 from values 13-25
- 3 from values 9-12
- 2 from values 6-8

Quote:
Run at different depths and speeds. Where do you cavitate?
I suppose, you know where all (your favorite) subs starts cavitating at speciffic speed. How do you use this knowledge in game, why you have advantage over players who haven't this knowledge?

Quote:
When are you leaving a wake near PD?
DW do not simulate this. Are you still talking about Dangerous Waters game?

Quote:
How quickly can you change depth at a given speed?
Ok, so how quickly you can change depth for 688i at 18 kts? For example from 500 ft to 800 ft?

Quote:
Start a new mission that's just you vs a patrol plane and a helo. Set the ROE to "peacetime" at first, you'll know if they can track you when you replay the mission.
How?
It depends on "tactic" given to AI platforms but if they are on "peace time" ROE, they probably will ignore you.

In my opinion sticking to one platform only slows your progress of learning. You should check few subs with Russian/US type of sonars - it gives you wider knowledge than "mastering" one platform for weeks. It allows you to compare things different and similar to each sub. After that kind of experiences you will learn that in DW you have only 3 types of submarines with small differences between them - only weapon makes true differences.
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 03:43 PM   #17
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Yep.
Remember how it worked the last time?
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 04:41 PM   #18
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Sure, all the time you build myths about playing DW. You suggest new players to focus on things completely useless. Maybe this is funny for you but in my opinion it is wrong. So, can you be serious and answer me to my questions?
Old 11-20-17, 06:45 PM   #19
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
If you research both then you'll find out they are derived from the same basis. Just a different subdivision. (and not related to time at all)
Nothing special about meter vs yards except its damn sight easier to calculate/measure stuff because things line up neatly all the way from very small to very large.

There's a bit of a debacle between km/h and m/s. Latter is not very intuitive except for fast moving objects like rifle bullets.
Barleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 06:49 PM   #20
Barleyman
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
Sure, all the time you build myths about playing DW. You suggest new players to focus on things completely useless. Maybe this is funny for you but in my opinion it is wrong. So, can you be serious and answer me to my questions?
I wouldn't mind hearing the SOP on "so I pulled off textbook evasion manoeuvre and now the torpedo reacquired me from chase position either..

Specific characteristics of a given boat don't do that much difference (except for the speed of course) for live torpedo evasion.

Sure, SSBN is going to be sluggish as heck but SSN isn't exactly turning on a dime either.
Old 11-20-17, 10:08 PM   #21
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Russian SSN's are more "agile" - can make turn faster than US subs:

Akula

Los Angeles

...but I still think, that "mastering" one sub is pointless. My knowledge about differences comes from testing all of them.

Quote:
So when you do that AND the torpedo goes around/through the noisemaker and reacquires?
If modern torpedo aquire your sub you have very low chances for surviving. My simple picture guide shows how to drop decoys to prevent that situation.
Look at "priority for launching decoys" on picture.
Of course setting flank speed (or maximum for retriving TA) should be your first step in single player game.
Old 11-20-17, 11:20 PM   #22
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

This is why decoys pattern is very important.

Old 11-23-17, 05:23 PM   #23
Barleyman
Gunner

Quote:
This is why decoys pattern is very important.

Clever. Do the torpedoes in DW do this "home on jam" logic or can they opt to "go around" the noisemaker instead?

I think I read in RA docs something about the torpedo rejecting the noisemaker, implying it could be actually ignored and a different target be acquired.
Old 11-23-17, 05:48 PM   #24
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Torpedo behavior is not the same like in CW. I can't explain this. Most of torpedoes makes circle - it gives you some time for running out but not always. Some of them have Decoy Logic Recognition and Target Reattack option.

From manual (RA_Weapon_Info_rev38):

Quote:
Torpedo has Decoy Logic Recognition.
It is meant, that the torpedo is not absolutely insured from targeting on CM's.
For example - if range between torpedo and CM is large, the torpedo will not distinguish CM, accordingly it will be targeting on CM.
However - in process of reduction of distance up to a CM and increase of strength of a signal, the torpedo will distinguish CM and reject it from attack.
The acoustic conditions also can influence distance, on which CM will be distinguished steadily.
In general, it is possible to say so - than closer to CM the sensor control of a torpedo will be switched on, especially probability that a signal of a CM will be high on the level, and CM will be at once rejected from the valid target.

Target Reattack option
After loss of contact torpedo continue to move by the current course 20-30 seconds, then will carry out a circular sample of search (in any random side – port or starboard), for attempt of repeated reception of contact.
In case the repeated contact is not received - torpedo will continue cruise in that course on which it was at the moment of the discontinuance reattack option.
Old 11-23-17, 08:53 PM   #25
Barleyman
Gunner

Quote:
Torpedo behavior is not the same like in CW. I can't explain this. Most of torpedoes makes circle - it gives you some time for running out but not always. Some of them have Decoy Logic Recognition and Target Reattack option.

From manual (RA_Weapon_Info_rev38):
That's what I meant. It's not entirely clear what "rejecting CM" means exactly. Is the torpedo capable of tracking multiple targets i.e. It could decide since big return A is a fake, slightly smaller return of B me high tailing it out of there is next best option?

Reattack option seems clear enough.
Old 11-25-17, 12:03 PM   #26
Barleyman
Gunner

Speaking of low chance of survival. I've been practising on barents sea loitering mission as it's such a set piece one. You know where bad guys are and where they're going..

TMA and target tracking is a bit shaky still however. Eventually the Akula made me as I was trying to get his number, getting thrown off by his changing course.

He proceeds to duly dump FOUR ASW missiles on me. Overkill much kamrade? I think that situation the SOP is to kiss your behind goodbye. My coutershot got pulled away by a noisemaker and the torpedo didn't go on a reattack pattern, instead just kept going on directly.