Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-19, 02:54 AM   #1
rmax
Seaman

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Default RPM Measurement

Does WoS mod support the measurement of RPM from the hydrophone? I'm in a fog bank AN5585 and I want to sink a suspected freighter!

Thanks fellow commanders.
rmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 10:28 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

To my understanding, and I'm not playing Real Navigation, your sonar man can spot contacts in a 40 km range, and you can also tell him to report contacts constantly giving you the bearing, but not the exact range unless his abilities are fully upgraded .
Be sure to dive below periscope depth to eliminate surface noise in bad weather for better sonar performance.

The sonarman analyzes the RPM giving you the ship type - merchand or warship. Also sonarman doesnt' give you an exact id of the ship, you will have to identify it yourself also the country. Sink a friendly ship and it's game over.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-07-19 at 10:40 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 01:45 PM   #3
rmax
Seaman

Ahh perhaps I was being misleading. I'm interested in whether you can count the revolutions on screws (i.e. revs per minutes) and use that to calculate speed in WoS?

Thanks
Old 05-07-19, 02:35 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmax View Post
Ahh perhaps I was being misleading. I'm interested in whether you can count the revolutions on screws (i.e. revs per minutes) and use that to calculate speed in WoS?

Thanks

Well, this is not Jane's 688...So the answer is most likely no. But you are free to listen yourself at the sonar station to figure out, however I doubt there are x sound schemes for the x ships in the game.

Also that mehtod is bad for getting good speed readings, if I was the skipper in 1940 and you told me about that, I would immediately send you to a cure institute That said, if you go in the Sjizzle Charts you will find a doc refering to this IIRC, but I doubt that 1 skipper in WWII has found this useful.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-07-19 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 05:19 PM   #5
rmax
Seaman

Ahh Janes 688 and the waterfall! Happy days indeed!

I was basing the question on http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=204151

which seemed to indicate that a mod once did have the RPM settings, and a full set of charts for each sound scheme. I wondered if it was included in WoS.

No matter for the actual situation at hand. It was a Costal Boat, so surfaced and sank it with the gun. I wondered why they were not shooting at the target that I though they were, but that was because there was a fishing boat there too. 178 GRT added to my score!
Old 05-07-19, 06:47 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Theoretically, to get a speed estimation based on RPM, your sonarman (or yourself) would need to identify the ship first before watching it in the scope or UZO, and purlely based on the 'sound signature'. This is a technology of the mid 50s I think, and not used in WWII even if the theory was known. Sonar technology in WWII didn't yet have this 'maturity'. As a comparison: The active sonar combined with a passive one which was part of the U-boat XXI's equipment was already revolutionary at its time (1944-1945).

Identifying ships with sonar alone is AFAIK only possible in the SH5 stockgame with easy arcade settings - and surely not based on RPM listenings. However, go look in the mod download section, maybe there is such a thing.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-07-19 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-09-19, 01:51 AM   #7
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

this is the only mod which allow u to calculate ship speed by listening the ship propeller and identify the ship too but this mod is not compatible with TWoS

here it is a video using the mod

Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 11:59 AM   #8
rmax
Seaman

Sjizzle - perfect. Thanks that was the answer I was looking for! (although perhaps not the answer I wanted!).