SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-19, 10:22 PM   #1
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Default Time in port / visiting the bar / abandoning ship

in the current build, when you return from a mission, your time in port is just that time which is required to restock and head back out on the next mission.

My suggestions to the devs would be the following

1. while in port, have external loading animations where the torpedo officer and his two assistants set up equipment and load the torpedoes one by one into the torpedo room through the actual torpedo hatch, then load them into the tubes or berths as warranted. just would be a cool feature

2. dry dock. could be just the regular dock, except the water drains and the boat is suspended by blocks, and instead of instantly repairing everything by magic, you have to have members of the crew restore parts to original condition, overhaul engines, repair the various exterior parts of the boat etc

3. barracks / shore leave - this could be a feature like a bus parked beside the docks with an officer standing next to it with a dialogue box much like the other three officers standing dock side, difference is when you interact with this guy it gives you the option to go to barracks. this would open up a new area of the port or game where the crew's shore barracks are shown in FPP like the port. this would be the area of the game where you can manage personnel, upgrade skill sets, promote, demote, or release or add crewmen. obviously crewmen would be walking around doing various crewman stuff. outside the barracks is the same officer who will either A. take you back to the port facilities or B. take you to the shore leave which would be reminiscent of the bar scene in Das Boot. once in the "bar" you could move around this environment in FPS and listen to music, drink beer, listen to scuttlebutt about the latest victories / losses etc whatever, but...

4. officers and crewmen who received at least seven days leave, or visited the bar at least once would not be subject to any loss in discipline for the first 4 days of the next mission.

5. Finally, Abandoning ship. There are escape hatches, they can be damaged and repaired... so why not make them usable in game? Say... if you are on the sea bed in less than XX meters water depth and the ship cannot be salvaged or is beyond repair, you can right click on the escape hatch and order abandon ship. this sets the men to escaping with breathing equipment one by one and taking to rafts where you can either be rescued or captured. (i have a feeling this one is coming down the way soon)

just spit balling here
Old 05-05-19, 10:37 PM   #2
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

I'll add this

1. remove star shells from the inventory altogether

2. increase storage capacity by perhaps double what it currently is

3. greatly reduce the oxygen consumption, im running silent and seeing it get critical in an hour. needs to be closer to 2-3 hours.

4. add other options for air purification, the ventilator is great, but u-boats also had the option of releasing oxygen from compressed tanks i believe. i guess what im getting at, is there are some cases where im getting dangerously low on oxygen and i have barely been evading depth charges for 45 minutes in game.

5. greatly reduce the rate at which discipline drops off.
Old 05-06-19, 02:13 AM   #3
italianmarine
A-ganger

Downloads: 42

one question? Is one of developers reading the suggestions here or should we write in STEAM?
italianmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 03:27 AM   #4
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

No i don't think the developers come here much, as its been abit dead and they don't have much spare time. but they are indeed reading EVERYTHING on the steam forums, so I would strongly advise all to post suggestions and feedback for them over there -in order to be heard.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/494840/discussions/3/
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 10:58 AM   #5
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

I think drydock/leave is such an essential feature to add.

With this added feature, you could add fatigue to the crew iver time on patrol. There was a reason these salts were granted a few weeks leave! Sub battle fatigue is extremely hard physically and mentally. Additionally, the sub suffers as well and eventually needs to be drydocked! This could be randomized based on time at sea and damage. This way it feels much more immersive and time actually passes after a long patrol. All of these could be optional features!
Old 05-06-19, 02:47 PM   #6
divemonkie
Medic

Downloads: 1031

These are all great ideas

Pleas do post em, I especially like the abandon ship with at least a chance of rescue. If you roll lucky and are rescued than board of inquiry to determine fitness for command based on crew morale and your past performance.

I always hated that bout SH you'd be several patrols in, take a beating, work to escape only to sink hours later with no enemy in sight and lose all your progress.
divemonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 05:18 PM   #7
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
No i don't think the developers come here much, as its been abit dead and they don't have much spare time. but they are indeed reading EVERYTHING on the steam forums, so I would strongly advise all to post suggestions and feedback for them over there -in order to be heard.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/494840/discussions/3/
They really should.
It'll be this community that turns Uboat into a gem.
Old 05-06-19, 05:57 PM   #8
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton View Post
They really should.
It'll be this community that turns Uboat into a gem.
I probably wouldn't go that far. Yes, modders were instrumental in fixing up the SH series over the years, but some of the toxicity on here when SH5 dropped... well, as a developer that would make me think twice to be perfectly honest.
Old 05-06-19, 06:16 PM   #9
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
I probably wouldn't go that far. Yes, modders were instrumental in fixing up the SH series over the years, but some of the toxicity on here when SH5 dropped... well, as a developer that would make me think twice to be perfectly honest.
If they're workshop mods in Steam, maybe.
Old 05-07-19, 12:31 AM   #10
SilentThunder
Swabbie

Downloads: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
3. greatly reduce the oxygen consumption, im running silent and seeing it get critical in an hour. needs to be closer to 2-3 hours.

Are you remembering to turn on the ventilation units? They give you extra air at the cost of electricity, gets you an extra hour or two if the engines are going, and much, much longer if the engines are still.

Ventilation switch is in the diesel engine compartment.

Ventilation off on a just submerged boat

And on, engines still:

So toggling the vents on and off can buy you a lot of needed time underwater, but you're still operating on a limited budget, as it's all off the batteries. Just be careful as they do generate noise.

SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote