Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 05-07-09, 12:05 PM   #1
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Any users of the Saitek X52 Pro and rudder pedals?

Are there any members here who use the Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS system and the Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals?

I have just purchased these in the last week and after a very long flight sim absence have decided to get back into the genre. I'm starting off with Lockon Flamming Cliffs as I want to try some modern fast jet and mud moving.

I'd also like to get back into Il2 which I haven't flown since the Forgotten Battles editon days. I do have on my shelf the IL2 1946 editon DVD. But as I said I realy want to focus on Lockon Flamming Cliffs.

So are there any users of the Saitek X52 Pro and did you create your own profile or just program it yourself from scratch?

By the way the Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals with te brakes are a great bit of kit.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 05:14 PM   #2
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Yeah, I've got an X52...

The nice thing about it is that it allows you to create complex profiles!
The bad thing about it is that it allows you to create complex profiles!
(I just don't have the patience to program hundreds of button options)

I recall that I downloaded the LOMAC profile (and several others) from the Saitek website.

I also recall that at some point they updated the profile editor software and it screwed everything up so bad that I just stopped playing flight sims. I had problems with the new editor software not sending my profiles to the X52 when I pressed the send button (it was obvious the X52 LCD was not showing the profile name).

This was a year or more ago... perhaps it's better now?
Old 05-07-09, 05:39 PM   #3
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

I'm using both, and made my own profiles for them. That way you'll get the actions you want where you want. I use an MSFFB2 + X52 throttle combo for IL2 because the stick is a lot better than Saitek's, and there's really no need for all the buttons. For Falcon4 I use the whole package. That's one sim where you don't run out of actions to program
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 05:58 PM   #4
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Yeah, apparently you can create fairly complex profiles. So far I have just downloaded and tried other peoples profiles. The silly thing is that these profiles have no graphic indication of what button does what on the stick or throttle. Another gripe I have is the minimal documentation provided by Saitek to create profiles. On the positive side there is a fairly large community of X52 Pro owners so there are plenty of people who's brains you can pick in particular at the Saitek forums.

As for the stick and throttle they feel comfortable in my hands however they could have had a little more weight to them at the base. I didn't expect Thrustmaster Cougar type weight but they just seem too light for what they are. I think they come with suction cups (still in the box) but I may just go down the velcro route on my desk. They do have pass through screw holes on the base if you want to permanently attach them to a desk or full on cockpit.

As for the Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals they absoutely rock. First time that I have owned rudder pedals I must admit. They just feel so natural be it taxing on the runway and using the toe brakes to bring your aircraft to a stop. And also in the air the rudders come in handy. Using the x and z for rudder just doesn't compare and I wasn't fond of the rudder being assigned to the joystick by rotating it left and right. The rudder pedals just give me that feeling of more precise control.

I have just completed my first proper training flight in the A-10a being a dusk takeoff, navigation and landing mission. Also for the first time tried my Track IR 4 Pro along with the Saitek X52 Pro and Saitek Pro Rudder system. Managed to taxi fine, get onto the runway, execute an easy takeoff, then gear and flaps up.

Cruised around the waypoints going off the main instruments being the Attitude Director Indicator (ADI) and the Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI). Throughout my flight I did have trouble with aircraft trim. I was constantly having to adjust with the stick. Wasn't sure of the trim commands for my stick so used the keyboard and must admit that I didn't have much of an idea as to what I was doing. Got to the final waypoint for an ILS approach to land. Throttled back and reduced airspeed below 200 knots followed by landing flaps and gear. Couldn't believe it when I actually touched down after flare, dropped thust right back, applied airbrakes followed by using my toe brakes to bring aircraft down to taxi speed. Then taxied back to the car park and shut down the systems and job done.

I actually really enjoyed the whole experience and I didn't shoot up one single thing. Anyway bottom line is that I am very happy with my whole flight sim setup. Just now need to learn how to program my HOTAS to my exact specs/preferences for the A-10a.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Old 05-07-09, 06:04 PM   #5
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincuan View Post
I'm using both, and made my own profiles for them. That way you'll get the actions you want where you want. For Falcon4 I use the whole package. That's one sim where you don't run out of actions to program
Fincuan, Can I ask roughly how long did it take you to set up your profile for Falcon 4? An hour, a few hours or more?
Old 05-07-09, 08:15 PM   #6
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Couple things you said there that struck me...

Base Weight...

The bases on the throttle and stick (at least on mine) have screw holes so you can bolt the things down. If base-weight is an issue for you, maybe think about getting yourself a nice piece of wood to attach em too. I was actually very impressed that Saitek designed them to be mounted.

Not knowing which button is assigned...

On your throttle, there's an "i" thumb button that if you press it down you'll notice the light strobes. The "i" is for info, and when it's strobing, you can press other buttons and the name of the button assignment will appear on your LCD as you press/activate them. In fact, I think even without that button depressed, the LCD will display the name of the button as you press it. I think the i strobe feature just captures it so it's not sent to the game or something if you just want to test. I'd have to go re-read my manual to give a better description.
Old 05-08-09, 04:31 AM   #7
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0

I have the old X-52 (not the pro).
My advise for Lock On is to make a profile for each plane, maybe at least one shared for the Su-27/MiG-29 family. If you make them carefully, you can really fly without having to get your hands off the stick and throttle.

For IL-2, i haven't made a profile yet, but one of the most important things (at least for me) is being able to change between wide and normal FOV quickly and toggle the gunsight view. A button to toggle the combat flaps is also a good idea.
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 05:30 AM   #8
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konovalov View Post
Fincuan, Can I ask roughly how long did it take you to set up your profile for Falcon 4? An hour, a few hours or more?
It took a while

When I got the HOTAS I already had a few hundred hours in the sim, so I had a fairly good idea on what I wanted. Then I printed the F4AF keychart, fired up Saitek Profiler and tried to decide where I wanted everything. After I was done I fired up the sim and gave it a try, fixed some things, tried again... An hour of two maybe. I didn't even use any of the modes(makes it too complex and hard to remember at combat), only mode1 and mode1+pinkie. That's sufficient enough to complete 95% of a mission without taking hands off the controls, and most importantly one NEVER has to take hands off the controls in combat.

Oh, and I definitely recommend getting the beta versions of Saitek Profiler and the drivers(http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=16643). They return the good old 3d-view from the old profiler. It allows you to click a button on the 3d-model and select that button for profiling. Much easier than scrolling up and down the list
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 06:03 AM   #9
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood View Post
The bases on the throttle and stick (at least on mine) have screw holes so you can bolt the things down. If base-weight is an issue for you, maybe think about getting yourself a nice piece of wood to attach em too. I was actually very impressed that Saitek designed them to be mounted.
Yep, mine does have the screw holes but I know for a fact that my wife won't approve of me screwing my HOTAS setup onto the desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood View Post
On your throttle, there's an "i" thumb button that if you press it down you'll notice the light strobes. The "i" is for info, and when it's strobing, you can press other buttons and the name of the button assignment will appear on your LCD as you press/activate them. In fact, I think even without that button depressed, the LCD will display the name of the button as you press it. I think the i strobe feature just captures it so it's not sent to the game or something if you just want to test.
Fantastic info. Had no idea of that. I will give it a go.
Old 05-08-09, 06:29 AM   #10
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
When I got the HOTAS I already had a few hundred hours in the sim, so I had a fairly good idea on what I wanted. Then I printed the F4AF keychart, fired up Saitek Profiler and tried to decide where I wanted everything. After I was done I fired up the sim and gave it a try, fixed some things, tried again... An hour of two maybe. I didn't even use any of the modes(makes it too complex and hard to remember at combat), only mode1 and mode1+pinkie. That's sufficient enough to complete 95% of a mission without taking hands off the controls, and most importantly one NEVER has to take hands off the controls in combat.
I'm not in the same situation as I only have only had an hour or so in Lockon Flamming Cliffs. However I don't see that as too much of a problem as I come up to speed slowly.

Quote:
Oh, and I definitely recommend getting the beta versions of Saitek Profiler and the drivers(http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=16643). They return the good old 3d-view from the old profiler. It allows you to click a button on the 3d-model and select that button for profiling. Much easier than scrolling up and down the list
That is fantastic advice. I have been thinking about the new beta SST programming software this week. I couldn't work out for the life of me why on earth there was no graphic 3d display in the most up to date software. For a noob like me that makes the whole programming process all the more daunting. I'm definately going to take your advise and use the beta software.

Thanks again guys for all your help.
Old 05-08-09, 04:30 PM   #11
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konovalov View Post
Yep, mine does have the screw holes but I know for a fact that my wife won't approve of me screwing my HOTAS setup onto the desk.
Obviously...

However, she probably wouldn't care if you went over to Home Depot and bought a $5 unfinished 16x36 plank of shelving wood.

Put the plank under your keyboard and screw down your throttle and stick on each side of it. Or use bolts and wingnuts if you want em to be detachable by hand.
Old 05-09-09, 09:22 AM   #12
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0

The "i" button is for information, and you can also change the profile in-game without minimizin by using the first POV while pressing the button. It can be configured so it flashes when you're holding it pressed or to stay flashing until you press it again.
If you have a profile with lots and lots of commands for the three modes + pinky, its useful if you forget something
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 04:22 PM   #13
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Have had X52 since it came out and no problems.

Same with rudder pedals.

Wouldn't fly without them.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote