SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-14-15, 06:48 PM   #1
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Syntax Help, Please

After doing a complete uninstall and then a new reinstall to v1.5, I switched from TMO 2.5 with RSRD to GFO with RSRD just for the sake of variety. One thing I didn't like in GFO was that the W key cycled through all torpedo tubes, whereas in TMO it only cycled the forward tubes, and the E key cycled the stern tubes. Being a clever old programmer from WAAAAAY back, I thought I'd just add the Stern tube command to the data/cfg/commands file. Nothing is that simple. All of the varieties other than TMO use the E key for Emergency Surface. I'd like to change the Emergency Surface command in GFO to require CTL+S, but this syntax is apparently not correct:

[Cmd202]
Name=Emergency_surface
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F230003
Str=1034
Key0=0x45,C,"CTRL S"

I've also tried Key0=0x45, Cc="CTRL S" to no avail.

Can anyone put me on the right path so I can make this "simple" change? it's driving me nuts. Thanks in advance!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-15, 07:07 PM   #2
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

This should work:

Name=Emergency_surface
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F230003
Str=1034
Key0=0x53,c,"CTRL S"

The reason you're having problems is that the hex code is the key code the game reads. The string is just a tooltip thing that I'm not even sure the game actually uses.

Edit:
Oh, also, here's the keyboard scheme used:
http://www.garybeene.com/code/gbsnippets_gbs_00292.htm
You want the hex values. I.E. F2 is 0x71, not VK_F2 0x71
Probably, a lot of the special keys won't work.

Last edited by ColonelSandersLite; 09-14-15 at 07:32 PM.
ColonelSandersLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-15, 07:54 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Just load up TMOKeys and you'll have the great TMO Keyboard without changing any GFO gameplay settings. And if you're playing TMO but would like the stock plotting system without making ANY gameplay changes, just load up EZPlot and you have it. They're in my signature. Oops, EZPlot isn't but it is available in the download area.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-15, 06:20 AM   #4
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Honestly, I think the TMO keyboard layout kinda sucks. Just my opinion though.
Old 09-15-15, 06:34 AM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

At least it gives you a way to get to the attack map. And it's most like SH3 so players from SH3 naturally gravitate toward it. I also like the way it handles time compression in a much more logical way. And Ctrl-enter for firing torpedoes. And W for cycling bow tubes, Y to cycle stern tubes.

But its all what you're used to, and just about everybody hates the attack screen, even though no real submarine would fire without comparing TDC target with actual position of their target. My main problem with the RFB team is that they didn't understand target plotting at all and insisted that the most realistic way to run a submarine was to pilot with a burlap bag over your head. A World War II submarine skipper would have been removed from command for insanity for that.

Anyway, with TMOKeys you can install that whenever you want. I should make mods for StocKeys and GFOKeys. That way TMO players could use whatever keyboard blows their skirt up. I like the idea of swappable modules that players can slide in and out of their game without changing any other aspect of the game: a concept lurker could have profited from but chose not to. I'd love to dismantle RSRDC, separating the campaign mods from the gameplay mods to make them into hot-swappable mods for any version of SH4 1.5. I would be left having to decide what to do with the ships he added to the game--a legitimate part of the campaign mod. I think I'd be happy with just leaving stock ships stock and leaving his added ships alone. I like non-exclusive change possibilities so players can play the game the way they like.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-15-15 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-15-15, 07:51 AM   #6
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Yeah, I know TMOs keys are meant to be like sh3s. That being said, I thought that sh3s keyboard layout was pretty bad too. I use a totally custom scheme that I think is *way* better.
Old 09-15-15, 10:14 AM   #7
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default Thanks, and one more question.

I thank you gentlemen for the very helpful advice. Inserting the following worked perfectly: Key0=0x53,c,"CTRL S". I now have the tube cyclers using W for forward tubes and E for the stern tubes, and can Emergency Surface with the above CTRL S.

Captain Robbins, when you suggest using the TMO keyboard, with which I am the most familiar, is that simply a matter of replacing the stock or whatever data/cfg/commands file with the TMO data/cfg/commands file? Or is there a separate file for the TMO keyboard?

Old 09-15-15, 11:08 AM   #8
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Same file.
Old 09-15-15, 11:11 AM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I thank you gentlemen for the very helpful advice. Inserting the following worked perfectly: Key0=0x53,c,"CTRL S". I now have the tube cyclers using W for forward tubes and E for the stern tubes, and can Emergency Surface with the above CTRL S.

Captain Robbins, when you suggest using the TMO keyboard, with which I am the most familiar, is that simply a matter of replacing the stock or whatever data/cfg/commands file with the TMO data/cfg/commands file? Or is there a separate file for the TMO keyboard?
I made a mod, TMOKeys (look in my signature) that will allow anyone with any version of the game to load up the TMO keyboard.

Note that one of the last things Ducimus did was to change his keyboard from mine to what you have. I didn't consider it an improvement. The Y key was great for cycling stern tubes and didn't require a ctrl-key thing for emergency surface because he didn't redefine the e key. Change for change sake just is baffling to me. There was no reason for him to make the change.

And my keyboard uses shift-i for "Hey exec, can you ID that target for me?" My personal addition to the original TMO keyboard and a help from SH3.
Old 09-15-15, 11:33 AM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Of course if you would rather not manually edit, I use SH4 Keyboard Configurator. There is also jimimadrid's SH Keymapper, which is more advanced.

You know, I just found out I'm sitting on TMO 2.7, which was never released to the public. I wonder if I dare release it in Ducimus' name? After all, he didn't leave on particularly good terms, having clearly violated the terms of use and dismissing that as a light weight reason for spending some time in the brig.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-15-15 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-16-15, 08:36 AM   #11
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Of course if you would rather not manually edit, I use SH4 Keyboard Configurator. There is also jimimadrid's SH Keymapper, which is more advanced.

You know, I just found out I'm sitting on TMO 2.7, which was never released to the public. I wonder if I dare release it in Ducimus' name? After all, he didn't leave on particularly good terms, having clearly violated the terms of use and dismissing that as a light weight reason for spending some time in the brig.
Thanks again for the help. I'll probably stick with what I now have, considering I made the changes for tube cycling and emergency surface to all the mods in my Download collection, including patches where needed! I will have to be careful if I ever need to unzip the original downloads, though, because they won't have my changes. Thanks again!

I vote "yes" on the release of 2.7 if that counts.

Tags
syntax emergency_surface