SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-17, 06:34 PM   #1
getbac
Watch

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0
Default Noob here

Just joined this site and wolfpack... the game runs fine but the operator is a bit lacking Just ran the first campaign and got a done but. Went to Jawa to refit and get new orders but all I got was the refit... do I need to go to Pearl to get another assignment? I have many other ? but would like to get help here at first if possible. Also I hope I'm posting in the right area, never was any good at these forums stuffs! I have a list of ? I'd like to ask but will wait to see if I'm in the right place. Good to meet yall, hope to fit in and learn the game the best I can...

getbac/out
Old 01-20-17, 07:42 PM   #2
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

Welcome getbac. If Pearl is your home base(tilted anchor) then that's where you go to dock and refit. after your mission is over. You'll get new orders and you can make changes with your MODS if you have any. Any damage will get fixed too. You can also send a report where you're at now and receive new orders. Sometimes we don't call in and just hunt where we want.
Old 01-20-17, 08:05 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

getbac!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-17, 09:23 PM   #4
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Welcome to Subsim getbac!

We love getting fresh new, innocent, naive recruits to corrupt. I mean to guide with our infinite knowledge and wisdom of the game.

When you complete your assignment, you should get new orders. If you didn't get new orders, you didn't complete the assignment. You can tell when the yellow star turns gray (or it might turn grey, I'm never sure). If you are assigned a patrol area for a certain amount of time, you just stay in the patrol area until the star turns gray.
You can stop at any port with an anchor and get refueled, rearmed, and repairable damage repaired. You will not get new orders.
A tilted anchor is your home port. You will go to your office and take care of the different tasks available. Your boat will also get completely repaired and upgraded as available.

We know you will have more questions. Go ahead and ask. We all love to show off with our knowledge of the game.

In case you haven't noticed yet, I'm the officially unofficial self appointed assigner of jobs at Subsim. I'll make you the boat's exterminator. Jimbuna and the others from Great Britain have the boat infested with beetles.
Old 01-21-17, 05:49 AM   #5
getbac
Watch

bless yall.... kinda in over m head right now but I"ll get it....... guess I be headin for pearl.. long drive and the same tune on the radio over and over lol,

thanx for the help and the comebacks
Old 01-21-17, 05:55 AM   #6
getbac
Watch

Default hmmmm

Don't have a "tilted anchor" but Pearl is where that office was so guessing that's where I gotta go. Also tried to send ya a few bucks but you only use pay pal (I think) and I can't get pay pal to work cuz they want my rl addy and I don't know how to get that to em so I don't us em. Anyway more ? comin so yall can show off for this ole noob...... well off to kp this time.......sigh
Old 01-21-17, 09:09 AM   #7
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbac View Post
Don't have a "tilted anchor" but Pearl is where that office was so guessing that's where I gotta go. Also tried to send ya a few bucks but you only use pay pal (I think) and I can't get pay pal to work cuz they want my rl addy and I don't know how to get that to em so I don't us em. Anyway more ? comin so yall can show off for this ole noob...... well off to kp this time.......sigh
Welcome aboard!

Are you saying there is NO base on your map marked with a tilted anchor? That should not be. Your base can change during a mission, but you will get an Operational radio message directing you to the new base when that happens. Note that you can refit/refuel at any base marked with an anchor, but will only get a completed patrol (whether or not you completed the mission objectives) when you return to the base marked with a tilted anchor. It is generally not advisable to refit/refuel at "other" bases more than once. You can do it, but complications with saved games can result from having too much data for the system to manage. At least that has been my experience!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-17, 09:48 AM   #8
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 314

Welcome to SUBSIM getbac!

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-17, 05:22 PM   #9
getbac
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Welcome aboard!

Are you saying there is NO base on your map marked with a tilted anchor? That should not be. Your base can change during a mission, but you will get an Operational radio message directing you to the new base when that happens. Note that you can refit/refuel at any base marked with an anchor, but will only get a completed patrol (whether or not you completed the mission objectives) when you return to the base marked with a tilted anchor. It is generally not advisable to refit/refuel at "other" bases more than once. You can do it, but complications with saved games can result from having too much data for the system to manage. At least that has been my experience!
YUP no tilted anchor..... I'm on steam maybe its hosed... I'll kill my way to PH and see if that works. I did refit twice at Jawa ... hope that didn't mess it up and I have all 3 checks on my first mission as completed..
Old 01-22-17, 11:56 AM   #10
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

What is the date, and what base did you start from?
Old 01-26-17, 12:48 PM   #11
getbac
Watch

Default noob here on steam

I found this sim on steam, does it perform the same as what you guys run? For instance my hot buttons kind of light up but I have trouble seeing if they are active or inactive. I've found a vid on YT from Rockinrobin and his button go green when active. Is that from a mod? AND can I mod tlhe steam version? As always thanx for any help
Old 01-26-17, 12:50 PM   #12
getbac
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
What is the date, and what base did you start from?
Hawaii....... I just didn't wait long enough for new orders they came through.. have started a new campaign with all real boxes checked... I know now where my home base is.. I'll pick it up sooner or later lol.
Old 01-26-17, 02:10 PM   #13
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Utah... ahh yesh... I remember it well... 1994, the wife and I flew into Vegas, rented a van, and did a two-week round trip through northern Arizona, up to Durango, and across Utah, hitting 11 of 13 National Parks along the way... how close to Capitol Reef are you? We gotta get back out that way, and see the hoo-doos, the Arches, the Patriarchs, National Escalade and everything else that beautiful state has, not forgetting to mention the nice people, of course...

In the meantime, you can mod the Steam version of SH4, but it's much easier to do if you don't have the game installed in the Program Files (x86) folder. If you do, you have to turn the Windows UAC way down, among other things, if it'll even do it then. It all depends upon your computer set-up and the OS. If you want to re-install to a "regular" folder, such as a "C:\Games\Silent Hunter" or similar (I just delete out the Program Files part anymore, and do "Ubisoft\SH4"), you have to log into your Steam account, and use their online install manager to direct the install away from the "default" Program Files thingie.

Welcome to SubSim, btw

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-17, 01:10 PM   #14
getbac
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Utah... ahh yesh... I remember it well... 1994, the wife and I flew into Vegas, rented a van, and did a two-week round trip through northern Arizona, up to Durango, and across Utah, hitting 11 of 13 National Parks along the way... how close to Capitol Reef are you? We gotta get back out that way, and see the hoo-doos, the Arches, the Patriarchs, National Escalade and everything else that beautiful state has, not forgetting to mention the nice people, of course...

In the meantime, you can mod the Steam version of SH4, but it's much easier to do if you don't have the game installed in the Program Files (x86) folder. If you do, you have to turn the Windows UAC way down, among other things, if it'll even do it then. It all depends upon your computer set-up and the OS. If you want to re-install to a "regular" folder, such as a "C:\Games\Silent Hunter" or similar (I just delete out the Program Files part anymore, and do "Ubisoft\SH4"), you have to log into your Steam account, and use their online install manager to direct the install away from the "default" Program Files thingie.

Welcome to SubSim, btw
about 3 hours north of Cap Reef. Great country. We live by a wilderness area that has Skyline Drive 14 miles from our drive way. One can camp that trail (in the old days it was the favorite trail of many a outlaw) from Mexico to the Dakota's. Have spent years travelin it!

I thought I HAS installed this game under a different folder but it looks like it put it under user. I'll have to look into it further to see if I need to do a re-install of all my games! I thought I had put it in a folder called Games but apparently I am mistaken... I'll get back to ya
Old 01-29-17, 10:50 AM   #15
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Post moved to the Subsim Anniversary thread.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 01-30-17 at 08:13 AM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote