SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-16, 12:52 PM   #1
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1
Default NSM 4.0 incompatible with newest version of RSRD?

I've installed NSM 4.0 by following orders:
TMO
RSRD v502
RSRD patch
NSM 4.0

When I test it in submarine school's torpedo attack tutorial I found that those torpedoes penetrated the Mogami's hull straightly like ghosts(not in the case of over-depth). I suspect that it may be caused by the alternative Mogami class of RSRD(5 main turrets)which may be incompatible with NSM 4.0 so I deactivated RSRD and took a test one more time then I found that it's no problem with stock's Mogami.
yyzBegonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 01:29 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Interesting. The only bad effects I'm aware from because of incompatibility is that ships not in the NSM mod (like any of Lurker's additions to RSRDC) will just sink like the stock ships used to.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 01:42 PM   #3
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Interesting. The only bad effects I'm aware from because of incompatibility is that ships not in the NSM mod (like any of Lurker's additions to RSRDC) will just sink like the stock ships used to.
Yup. At first I was wondering if the same problem like what u thought would occur, however something even worse happened.......
Old 12-30-16, 02:49 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Are you sure though they went through, and not under? Enable your exterior camera, and watch them again, or better still, use the event camera as they get close. I'll bet they're running way deep and under the Mogami, since RSRDC modded the US torpedo problem rather strongly. The Torpedo Attack in Submarine School happens on January 1, 1943, so the torpedo problem is in full swing.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 03:04 PM   #5
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Are you sure though they went through, and not under? Enable your exterior camera, and watch them again, or better still, use the event camera as they get close. I'll bet they're running way deep and under the Mogami, since RSRDC modded the US torpedo problem rather strongly. The Torpedo Attack in Submarine School happens on January 1, 1943, so the torpedo problem is in full swing.
well...... I'm sure that they do passed through the cruiser's hull, not ran through under its keel because I've checked it by external camera closely for at least 3 times.
Old 12-30-16, 08:19 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

That's interesting. NSM doesn't modify torpedoes even a little bit--doesn't touch any torpedo files. It only changes the .zon files for each stock ship. That's it! It can't change torpedoes if I remember right.

It has been awhile since I looked at the NSM mod.
Old 12-30-16, 09:40 PM   #7
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That's interesting. NSM doesn't modify torpedoes even a little bit--doesn't touch any torpedo files. It only changes the .zon files for each stock ship. That's it! It can't change torpedoes if I remember right.

It has been awhile since I looked at the NSM mod.
I think torpedoes is not to blame because they works well with stock ships.
Old 12-30-16, 10:22 PM   #8
propbeanie

Doesn't TMO change the torps to "more accurately model" the US torpedo fiasco, where there were a lot of duds, and they ran deep?... Even stock does it some. Check your game play settings, and see if Duds aren't set.

Old 12-31-16, 12:49 AM   #9
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Doesn't TMO change the torps to "more accurately model" the US torpedo fiasco, where there were a lot of duds, and they ran deep?... Even stock does it some. Check your game play settings, and see if Duds aren't set.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/g1e...tvydnq2/shared

Here're the screenshots. As u can see those torpedoes are truly fired with magic.
Old 12-31-16, 06:59 AM   #10
propbeanie

The _500 shot (3rd in the list) is irrefutable... Good capture, btw. I've seen issues with the Furutaka running shallow, and at times, have like the 2nd image down where it looks like they're passing through the keel of a ship, but aren't really because of collision detection... but right through the middle, and with just that one mod? The zon file must accidentally make the Mogami with paper sides or something...

When I tried the MediaFire viewer just now, it isn't working, so a person has to download the images in order to see them.

Old 12-31-16, 08:38 AM   #11
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
The _500 shot (3rd in the list) is irrefutable... Good capture, btw. I've seen issues with the Furutaka running shallow, and at times, have like the 2nd image down where it looks like they're passing through the keel of a ship, but aren't really because of collision detection... but right through the middle, and with just that one mod? The zon file must accidentally make the Mogami with paper sides or something...

When I tried the MediaFire viewer just now, it isn't working, so a person has to download the images in order to see them.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/8c8fej....05.33_500.bmp

Here's the _500, which is the strangest and most ridiculous one.

It seems work well with stock ships, whom .sim and .zon files had been modified in NSM, so I think RSRD's new units should be the bug reasons.
Old 12-31-16, 09:17 AM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzBegonia View Post
It seems work well with stock ships, whom .sim and .zon files had been modified in NSM, so I think RSRD's new units should be the bug reasons.
Comments like that are why all the classic great modders left the game. Players claiming their mods were bugged when they were nothing of the kind just drove them.........buggy!

If Lurker were lurking his reply wouldn't be nice. And maybe it shouldn't be. Let's look at it from his side. When RSRDC was made, NSM was an old mod, not used any more because it was a mod for v1.4, not U-boat Missions. WernerSobe had already declared NSM obsolete, not working properly with v1.5.

Therefore, RSRDC was never intended to be run with NSM. It was also not intended to be run with GWX on SH3! Anybody who does one of these things doesn't have the right to say "RSRDC's units should be the bug reasons." No, the bug here is the player, mixing mods that are incompatible. Anything that happens when you do that is unpredictable and the modder bears no responsibility for the outcome.

Some modders can handle this gracefully and some cannot. Ducimus and Lurker? Not so well. And other modders who didn't rebuke such pronouncements of bugs in their mods quit because they became discouraged from all the complaints.

The long and the short of it is when you mix incompatible mods and get strangeness that is predictable. Sometimes, like this time, it's entertaining enough to declare a "magical torpedo party!" But the responsibility for fixing it is the player's, not the modder's. Sometimes the modder will be interested enough to take a look. But they aren't under any obligation to do so.

Seems to me you have something more going on than torpedoes that penetrate hulls intact. You also have LEVITATING TORPEDOES, which, when they enter the air inside the ship, don't fall! Oooooooooo spooky!

Because the torpedo acts like it's swimming through water, I propose that the numbers that tell the AI where the torpedo is are different from where the eye candy routines draw the torpedo. I would guess the real location of the mathematical torpedo is several feet below the keel. Remember: in the game what you see is not reality. Reality is a bunch of mathematical formulas that you cannot see. You're looking at eye candy, which means not much.

To test this, set torpedoes to run on the surface and torpedo the same ship. I'd love to see what happens.
Old 12-31-16, 09:17 AM   #13
propbeanie

Well, the MediaFire viewer still won't load on my machine... anyway, I copied it over to my photobucket as a jpeg, so just click on the "Spoiler" box, and it should show. Very interesting shot:

Old 12-31-16, 09:23 AM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

If you're going to do a magic trick and levitate that torpedo, doesn't the magician's union require you to put a scantily clad pretty girl on top of the torpedo gesturing grandly?

Mediafire viewer not working for me either.
Old 12-31-16, 10:23 AM   #15
propbeanie

Did somebody say "girls"?...

I thought the player might have just been my machine, but apparently not...