SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-13-17, 06:22 PM   #1
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0
Default Deck gun

Ahoy Skippers,
For years I have read these forums and captains have written about there deck guns crews couldn't hit broad side of a barn! And yes I've there, until recently. And wanted to share this with the community. You're out of patrol and sonar has called out, "Sonar Contact, bearing 358 degrees!" The sonar operator later informs you the contact is closing at slow speed and it is a merchant! It's close to the end your patrol, low on fuel and only two Mark 14 torpedoes left in the forward tubes. Most of your prior engagements with the Mark 14s on your boat have hit the enemy ship, but without inflicting any damage or they have simply went under the target. (Insert your swearwords for the Bureau of Ordinance for issuing these weapons!) But you must forget the past and sink this ship! The tracking crew does a great job plotting the target, it is a new moon night, so it should be hard to spot the wake of the torpedoes. The enemy ship comes into your periscopes crosshair. It is a medium merchant and two torpedoes should send it to the bottom! "Fire one, Fire two!" Both are running hot and straight reports the sonar operator! As the stop watch counts down the last few seconds, the crew can hear that the first torpedo has found it's target! But the second one hits but no explosion. If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all! You look at the target through the scope, but it's not mortally wounded. You decide to surface and place a few well placed rounds of HE into it to finish it off. You inform the young ensign of the gun crew to aim for the water line. (Now this is what I started doing differently.) Using the periscope or TBT, I use the stadimeter to place the image on the reference point and send the range and target bearing to the tdc. The position keeper (PK) is on before sending any information. And I also enter target's speed after turning on the PK. The last thing I enter is the target's Angle on Bow (AOB). I keep entering the range and bearing using the stadimeter. I watch where the rounds land in reference to the target. If behind the target, I add a couple of knots of speed, if in front of the target, I subtract a couple of knots. I have had good luck with this procedure. Good luck and good hunting!
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 12:18 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

This is very interesting. You just gave me a lot or work to do to verify that TDC settings have anything to do with deck gun auto fire. Wow! This could be one of the biggest discoveries in nine years!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 05:09 PM   #3
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Icon1

RR,
Please verify this. I have done this on a couple of patrols in the last times I've been on the computer. I've sunk at least six or seven ships after the torpedoes have hit. And I don't think they would have sunk on there own. The state of the ocean makes a different also, bigger the wave causes more misses by the gun crew. I also select the highest abilities in the category of 'guns' of the crew for my gun crew. Good luck and happy hunting!
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 05:30 PM   #4
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

In SH3 I noticed that if I watched the ship through the binoculars/UZO, it appeared that the crew hit more often...

In SH4, I do the same.

As well as having them fire on the ship I have marked for the TDC.

I only let them go on their own if there are several merchants within 2km/2k yards, and missing is irrelevant, as they can't shoot back.

My thought on it was always, "if they know the gun (they should), and they know the range, then the movement of the ocean should be the only error factor".

Which translates into game terms: "send the data to the AI so it can find and hit".

Barracuda

P.S. Short on time, more to this post, but no time to make it make more sense!
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote